Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Does anyone here use a Korg padKontrol? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177672)

jpoprock 09-22-2006 08:07 AM

Does anyone here use a Korg padKontrol?

I just bought a Korg padKontrol to my drums with, and man is it cool!! I was wondering how to set it up though in Audio/Midi. If you use the USB cable provided, it will show up as a device, excatly like the Digi does. But I didn't really plan on using the USB cable for power and connectivity. I will use the midi i/o and run it into the back of the Digi. However, the device created for the Korg doesn't drag and connect to the Digi i/o's, unlike my keyboard controller below it does. The odd thing is, it seems that the Korg still works, and I wondered if I HAD to so something differently, or if this is the way it is?

Thanks!
Jason

WaDa TanK 09-22-2006 12:18 PM

Re: Does anyone here use a Korg padKontrol?

When doing it like that you have to treat it as an external keyboard(Controller), and set it up as a new device connecting to the digibox. If you are not famililar with this way of adding devices, I'd do a web search to find out how to connect and route. There is a lot of steps but its not really a lot if your familiar with the process.

But my recommendation would be to connect via USB, unless there's something specific your trying to do.

DA WaDa

WaDa TanK 09-22-2006 12:18 PM

When doing it like that you have to treat it as an external keyboard(Controller), and set it up as a new device connecting to the digibox. If you are not famililar with this way of adding devices, I'd do a web search to find out how to connect and route. There is a lot of steps but its not really a lot if your familiar with the process.

But my recommendation would be to connect via USB, unless there's something specific your trying to do.

DA WaDa

jpoprock 09-22-2006 12:34 PM

Thanks. Yes, I know how to do it. But when I do it via USB, I wasn't able to drag the midi out from it into the digi midi in. Do I not need to?? It just shows up next to the Digi interface in the midi devices. Then under all that (not NEXT to it) is my Keyboard Controller, which I had a line drug from the out up to the Digi In. I assumed I'd have to do the same thing for the Korg device, but it won't let me. A screen shot would explain everything. Also, if I create a new midi device, the Korg padKontrol isn't even an option. So, I suppose I'd have to select a General midi device??

Bottom line is.. don't I have to tell the Digi that the Korg is sending Midi out info thru it???? If that is the case, I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

I've read the manual a 1,000 times, and I'm just "not getting it". The diff between powering it up via the USB cable, and powering it up with an adapter. I have the ability to do both. This whole USB-Midi powered by the USB port vs powered with an adapter and using the regular Midi I/O's. Confusing. I've never used a USB midi device before.

Thanks!
jason

jpoprock 09-22-2006 01:27 PM

I see in the manual that apparently I should just use the USB and then select midi port 2 in PTLE and it will recieve controller messages from the Korg that I assign thru Port A of the Korg. Guess I'll fart with that and see what happens. Thanks. Jason