Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yamaha NS-10 Problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=278019)

donrey 07-15-2010 11:47 AM

Yamaha NS-10 Problem

I've been experiencing this issue with my NS-10's.... The right speaker sometimes sounds dimmed (as if that channel had been turned down significanlty). I'm able to get it to come back to normal levels by turning the volume up and playing any kick drum with a lot of 'pop' to it (ie. around 90 to 100 hz). Once I play this sound the speaker sounds normal and i have no issues with it. However, the issue returns once the equipment hasn't been used for a while. I also notice that once in a while a humming sound will come from the tweeter. It's not always there and i haven't been able to figure out a pattern.

I'm thinking it could be the tweeter or the cones going bad but I thought i'd post the question to see if anyone else has had this issue...

Troubleshooting I've done:
1) checked cables
2) checked channel on Hafler (tried speaker on the other channel and issue persisted)
3) switched plug hafler was hooked up to.

Current Set Up:

-Hafler TA1600
-Presonus Central Station (with Remote unit)
-Monster cable 3500 power unit

-Mac Pro
-HD1
-192 (i/o)
-liquid channel (connected to the 192 via AES)
-no other monitoring

Third Eye Studios 07-15-2010 01:58 PM

Re: Yamaha NS-10 Problem

To me it sounds like a cold solder, bad cable or a ribbon cable that needs cleaning/re-seating. Just bypass one component at a time until you can narrow it down. Divide and conquer!!

John_Toolbox 07-15-2010 03:55 PM

NS10's are notorious for blowing tweeters, if you haven't already you should definitely consider fusing the tweeters. One feedback loop is all it takes. :eek:

Sounds like your problem is definitely in the speaker itself. You could try swapping tweeters between the two, then woofers. Also while you're in there pull out the insulation and look at the crossover board, there might be something obivious there like a bad connection or some burn marks :rolleyes:

Kenny Gioia 07-15-2010 04:40 PM

Not sure about the tweeter (I never blew one) but the woofer sounds like it's going.

Just enjoy it for a few more weeks. Maybe.

Hope I'm wrong.

But if pushing on the cone brings it back, it's going.

Solo a bass track and pan it back and forth. If you hear distortion on that side, go buy a new one.

Table Syrup Records 07-21-2010 12:16 PM

We have 3 pairs of NS-10Ms and beat the snot out of em... never an issue.

Fusing the tweaters is a very popular old safety trick. Worth doing.

The big red flag in my eyes is the Hafler TA1600

That amp SUX!!!!

I love Haflers, don't get me wrong, but you need the P series :) 'Transnovas'

I have a P1500D and a P3000D. Solid. Workhorses.

In 5 years, we came across 3 bad TA's.... . Crummy little turds.

Try switching your left and right, see if it follows the amp channel.

If not, speaker, if so, amp.

Varela 02-03-2011 05:44 PM

Choose an expensive Dynaudio's setup and leave your Yamaha's on the Buy & Sell topics!

Top Jimmy 02-04-2011 09:29 AM

I myself also suspect the Hafler. I have a Pro1200 from before the trans-nova design and had nearly this exact behavior once. $70 at the shop and my fave bench tech fixed it.