Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   UAD 2 Quad and GA-EX58-EXTREME (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308872)

akhafaji 10-09-2011 11:16 AM

UAD 2 Quad and GA-EX58-EXTREME

Hi All,

I purchased the UAD2 Quad PCI.

My PC motherboard is GA-EX58-EXTREME.

I have HD Native and the VGA card in the Blue slots.

What the best slot in the link below (Orange / White) that I should use?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...%20Motherboard

Thanks
AK

akhafaji 10-10-2011 03:57 PM

Re: UAD 2 Quad and GA-EX58-EXTREME

anyone? :o

ButterFace 10-12-2011 01:34 PM

I quickly read the Motherboard spec and it states "For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot" so do that (it's the first long blue one). The PCIEX16_2 (the other long blue one) and the PCIEX8_1 (the long orange one) shouldn't be used since they share bandwidth and are designed for fancy graphics.

I would put the HD Native card in the PCIEX4_1 slot (the small orange one).

I'm assuming that by "UAD2 Quad PCI" you mean the UAD-2 QUAD PCIex1 card since that's the only one I'm familiar with. It would go in the PCIEX1_1 slot (the smallest white one).

Let us know how it works. I'm interested in the UAD-2 line of products.

akhafaji 10-12-2011 02:47 PM

Thank you

filosofem 10-12-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterFace (Post 1843584)
I would put the HD Native card in the PCIEX4_1 slot (the small orange one).

What a load of bullsh*t, seat the Native card in the next available PCIe x16 slot generally the next PCIe x16 slot next to the graphics card.

ButterFace 10-12-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1843694)
What a load of bullsh*t, seat the Native card in the next available PCIe x16 slot generally the next PCIe x16 slot next to the graphics card.

Oops. I apologize for my error. I'm new here and defer to your obvious wealth of experience. But now I'm confused. Are you saying that seating the Native card in a PCIe x4 slot won't work? That it will only work when seated in a PCIe x16 slot? If so I may have to rethink my choice of motherboard.

filosofem 10-13-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterFace (Post 1843741)
Are you saying that seating the Native card in a PCIe x4 slot won't work? That it will only work when seated in a PCIe x16 slot?

PCIe x4 would work but seating Native card in the second PCIe x16 slot is recommended. This information is covered in the HD Native Guide.

ButterFace 10-14-2011 11:12 AM

akhafaji

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Although I gained some important information you likely didn't. I did manage to stir up some interest at least. :rolleyes:

There seemed to be no objection to seating the UAD-2 card in the slot I indicated so perhaps it is valid. I was only making a suggestion however; you may want to check with a higher authority. I think I'll refrain from making any more suggestions for the time being.

Once I have PT9 running stable I intend to install a UAD-2 card as well so I'm looking forward to reading any insights you have to offer.

akhafaji 10-15-2011 12:01 PM

can someone help here :confused:

Got the card and install it in the long orange slot (last one) , I installed UAD 6.0 Plugins.

I opened a session with 56 Tracks @ 96k and got an error -9092 , -9093

I am using -->PT 9.0.5.

I changed the Buffer size to 2048 and still the same.

UAD2 plugins working fine with cubase 6 32bit using HD native HW with all buffer size.

do I need to move the UAD 2 to another slot (the white one)?

Thx

ButterFace 10-15-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1843694)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterFace (Post 1843741)
Oops. I apologize for my error. I'm new here and defer to your obvious wealth of experience. But now I'm confused. Are you saying that seating the Native card in a PCIe x4 slot won't work? That it will only work when seated in a PCIe x16 slot? If so I may have to rethink my choice of motherboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1844071)
PCIe x4 would work but seating Native card in the second PCIe x16 slot is recommended. This information is covered in the HD Native Guide.

Not having received my Omni bundle and its manuals yet I went in search of the HD Native Guide. I found two of them, HD Native Guide v8.5 and HD Native Guide v9.0.

HD Native Guide v8.5 recommends “Install the Pro Tools|HD Native card in the first available PCIe slot (typically, it will be the slot right next to the video card)” just as filosofem stated. However, the newer HD Native Guide v9.0 no longer makes that recommendation, it states “The Pro Tools|HD Native card is a 4x PCIe card. For optimum performance, install the Pro Tools|HD Native card in a 4x or higher PCIe card slot in your computer”.

So it appears that for “optimum performance “ my suggestion of seating the HD Native Card in a PCIe x4 was not “a load of bullsh*t” after all and in fact quite correct. I therefore retract my apology.