Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Enough of Avid (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389228)

misterwine 02-27-2017 02:47 PM

Enough of Avid

Updating Pro Tools and the issues surrounding each and every time has now sent me packing. I can't get any support without paying again. All I want to do is update from 12.7 to 12.7.1 and all I get is a error saying I am trying to use a newer version and I am not authorized. I go to the web site account information everything is active, I go the Ilok its fine I tried all the forum fixes nothing worked.

I have the damn perpetual license I just did in Dec for a year , everything works fine than a new update and nothing works. Pretty darn frustrating to say the least.

You call Avid they refuse to take the call unless you pay again, what gives AVID, I filled a case on line again no response.

I have been with them for a damn long time, now I think there are better solutions, I will look for a new alternative. :mad:

john1192 02-27-2017 02:55 PM

Re: Enough of Avid

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwine (Post 2415186)
Updating Pro Tools and the issues surrounding each and every time has now sent me packing. I can't get any support without paying again. All I want to do is update from 12.7 to 12.7.1 and all I get is a error saying I am trying to use a newer version and I am not authorized. I go to the web site account information everything is active, I go the Ilok its fine I tried all the forum fixes nothing worked.

I have the damn perpetual license I just did in Dec for a year , everything works fine than a new update and nothing works. Pretty darn frustrating to say the least.

You call Avid they refuse to take the call unless you pay again, what gives AVID, I filled a case on line again no response.

I have been with them for a damn long time, now I think there are better solutions, I will look for a new alternative. :mad:

in the meantime .. if you are on a MAC .. and who knows because you have no system info stated .. you can rename PT to Pro Tools12.7.0.676.app and do this anytime you load a new version and you can open the one that works ..

if on a PC .. i do not think you can do this ..

but, if you must leave for a different DAW which one will you Choose ???

misterwine 02-27-2017 02:58 PM

Thanks John, yes I am on a Mac, and I did reinstall the 12,7,0 version and got it working again, its damn frustrating to have to deal with all their problems. No more updates for now.

misterwine 02-27-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1192 (Post 2415190)
in the meantime .. if you are on a MAC .. and who knows because you have no system info stated .. you can rename PT to Pro Tools12.7.0.676.app and do this anytime you load a new version and you can open the one that works ..

if on a PC .. i do not think you can do this ..

but, if you must leave for a different DAW which one will you Choose ???

I think Pro Logic from Apple since I am on a Mac and it will work with all the plugs ins I have.

john1192 02-27-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwine (Post 2415194)
I think Pro Logic from Apple since I am on a Mac and it will work with all the plugs ins I have.

cool, i have been trying Cubase Pro 8 for a year or so now .. i am hot and cold on it .. i still have Logic 9 .. hopefully LPX is a little nicer and friendlier ..

yeah, hang with a version of PT that works for you and test by renaming as they come out ..

i spent hours today trying to get a couple things to be consistent and no rhyme or reason in the end .. lots of notes and going back ands forth from PT10, 11,12 .. Session Import is acting odd and I/O is acting strange ..

i even have the same version of PT12.4 on different Mountain Lion and Mavericks drives and it acts different .. same installer ...blah blah blah

deanrichard 02-27-2017 03:56 PM

There is no shortage of options. I settled on Reaper (PC) as my main DAW. Good luck to you. I don't have as much invested in PT as many here, so for me the decision to move on was easy. The headaches and downtime are ridiculous, and quite frankly, for my needs the software isn't all that good when it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwine (Post 2415186)

StefB 02-27-2017 10:37 PM

Hadsame issue - install the new Application Manager - that sorted it out here...

melloj 02-28-2017 02:49 AM

I don't know why anyone would choose Pro Tools for music anyway, there are far better options for you music folk. The only reason I use Pro Tools is because it's the only real option for professional post production. I always discourage Pro Tools for newbies wanting to get into recording their own songs. Not only is the learning curve steep but they constantly complain it doesn't work how they want. They bang on about how great Logic is, so why don't all of you just use that.

midnightrambler 02-28-2017 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloj (Post 2415294)
I don't know why anyone would choose Pro Tools for music anyway, there are far better options for you music folk. The only reason I use Pro Tools is because it's the only real option for professional post production. I always discourage Pro Tools for newbies wanting to get into recording their own songs. Not only is the learning curve steep but they constantly complain it doesn't work how they want. They bang on about how great Logic is, so why don't all of you just use that.

That's funny, 'cause I've convinced enough people the other way. All those damn menus in Logic is enough to put anyone off.

TCM 02-28-2017 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloj (Post 2415294)

I humbly beg to differ!
I tried other DAWs with my students, for them it is - comparatively - simple to start recording.
my 2c