Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Midi Controller Sound Quality Issues (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411436)

stephendanielson97 08-07-2020 01:59 AM

Midi Controller Sound Quality Issues

I'm having issues with the sound quality of VSTs that I'm trying to play with my midi piano. I'm presently using Addictive Keys, which has a clear and pristine sound from the videos I've seen of other people playing it, but when I load the plug-in on my computer in Pro Tools, it sounds more noisy, muffled and altogether worse than it should. Is there an issue with my audio interface configuration?? This happens with other plug-ins as well, not just Addictive Keys. It's driving me crazy that I can't seem to get that wide, glorious piano sound with any VSTs that I try, they all sound cheap and dull in my DAW. Any ideas?

JFreak 08-07-2020 02:53 AM

Re: Midi Controller Sound Quality Issues

First of all, they are not VST's, they are virtual instrumets (or VI's).

To check the sound issues of your system, why not import some audio clip from youtube and see if it sounds different if you playback from youtube or via DAW. Importing will not change the sound too much, if you have a noticeable difference you have a problem.

musicman691 08-07-2020 03:47 AM

Re: Sound Quality Issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephendanielson97 (Post 2574511)
I'm having issues with the sound quality of VSTs that I'm trying to play with my midi piano. I'm presently using Addictive Keys, which has a clear and pristine sound from the videos I've seen of other people playing it, but when I load the plug-in on my computer in Pro Tools, it sounds more noisy, muffled and altogether worse than it should. Is there an issue with my audio interface configuration?? This happens with other plug-ins as well, not just Addictive Keys. It's driving me crazy that I can't seem to get that wide, glorious piano sound with any VSTs that I try, they all sound cheap and dull in my DAW. Any ideas?

With zero system information it'a difficult to help. There's no such thing as TMI (too much info) when asking for help here. What exact audio interface do you have? What exact PT version? How are you monitoring? Keep in mind that a lot of video demos use extra effects plugins.

The title is misleading as it's not your controller that's the issue here. Also seeing that it's not a PT issue this might have been better placed in the virtual instruments section. Maybe one of the moderators can move it?

JFreak 08-07-2020 03:48 AM

I will once we rule out interface issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephendanielson97 08-07-2020 01:32 PM

My interface is a Scarlett 2i2 third edition, My version is Pro Tools 2020, and I'm using headphones plugged into my interface to mix, no monitors at the moment. I have seen videos in which the youtubers specify that they've made no changes to the VIs they are using, and the quality of mine still lacks.

I imported some audio from youtube and found it to be extremely close to the original video in terms of quality, if not exactly the same.

stephendanielson97 08-07-2020 01:34 PM

And excuse my lack of experience, I'm new to music production as you can tell and just trying to figure all of this out

JFreak 08-07-2020 01:40 PM

It is okay, everyone starts from somewhere.

So if you say imported audio plays back same inside PT and outside PT but the virtual instrument you use sounds dull, then have you considered the possibility that something has been done to the sound after the VI itself?

stephendanielson97 08-07-2020 01:53 PM

I created a new instrument track separate from the rest of the tracks in my song, which have other plug-ins already on them, isolated Addictive Keys on its own and played it on my keyboard, and it still sounds quiet and dull. I've heard from many people that very little tweaking needs to be done to piano VIs in order to make them sound good, maybe a bit of EQing and compression and that's it. I, on the other hand, am trying to add tons of reverb and gain, as well as a lot of EQ and compression, in order to get it to sound anywhere close to what I'm hearing in demos and videos on youtube. I could understand having to do that with a very cheap piano, but not with something like Addictive Keys. Did that sort of answer your question?

stephendanielson97 08-07-2020 01:56 PM

This happened with other VIs I've tried as well, such as Keyzone and IvyAudio Piano in 162. I'm not sure if its happening with preset plugins like Xpand as well that I'm using but I wouldn't be surprised. I'll go compare right now

JFreak 08-07-2020 01:56 PM

Well first you need to take a look at what MIDI you are recording to your track. If the MIDI velocity is way down, that would be a solid reason why your volume is not what you expect. But if it is in the top half mostly, you should have enough velocity for your VI to output nice gain.