Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ 5 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406018)

adam79 08-19-2019 09:18 PM

MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ 5

I was reading about the MDW Hi-Res Parametic EQ 5, but then learned that there's no demo and it's like $600! How is this plugin compared to other EQ plugins out there that are WAY less money?

Also, I found it interesting that when listening the instances, they go up from 48 to 96hz. Is this because the plug is working more efficiently at 96? I've found this to be the case with mostly everything, which really screws me on my UAD interface, which is just a DUO. I've found all plugs to sound better and work better at 96 than 44.1 or 48.

Thanks.

Johnny Hulst 08-20-2019 04:20 AM

Re: MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ 5

Dont buy the MDW EQ from Avid, the plugin is still corrupt, bouncing a song with 1 of this plugin in the session gives me a hard pop or click in front of the bounced file.
Its been this for years now and it seems they dont care...

(im on ultimate 2019-6 but it was also in previous versions of PT)

I know UAD has the same plugin, but I dont know about theirs... I didnt want to spent another dollar on a plugin I already own.

musicman691 08-20-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2535853)
I was reading about the MDW Hi-Res Parametic EQ 5, but then learned that there's no demo and it's like $600! How is this plugin compared to other EQ plugins out there that are WAY less money?

Also, I found it interesting that when listening the instances, they go up from 48 to 96hz. Is this because the plug is working more efficiently at 96? I've found this to be the case with mostly everything, which really screws me on my UAD interface, which is just a DUO. I've found all plugs to sound better and work better at 96 than 44.1 or 48.

Thanks.

Why are you looking at the aax dsp version? The aax native version is only $299.

I don't understand your second paragraph. Listening the instances? What? The only reason some plugins sound better at 96 KHz (if they really do) is because of oversampling inside the plugin to get away from any possible aliasing from working at 44.1/48 KHz. That oversampling inside the plugin has nothing to do with your interface. There's no reason that I know of that a plugin would work better at a higher sample rate; might sound better/different but work better?:confused:

BScout 08-20-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Hulst (Post 2535871)
Dont buy the MDW EQ from Avid, the plugin is still corrupt, bouncing a song with 1 of this plugin in the session gives me a hard pop or click in front of the bounced file.
Its been this for years now and it seems they dont care...

(im on ultimate 2019-6 but it was also in previous versions of PT)

I know UAD has the same plugin, but I dont know about theirs... I didnt want to spent another dollar on a plugin I already own.

Find the link to the betas in these forums. The developers have fixed this in the beta a while back. They posted links in the forum (there are betas for both AAX-DSP and AAX, Windows and Mac; make sure you get the right one that matches your ilok license). So far two betas have been posted (obviously you want the latest which I think ended with “R11” and was posted sometime in spring 2019)

Johnny Hulst 08-20-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2535886)
Find the link to the betas in these forums. The developers have fixed this in the beta a while back. They posted links in the forum (there are betas for both AAX-DSP and AAX, Windows and Mac; make sure you get the right one that matches your ilok license). So far two betas have been posted (obviously you want the latest which I think ended with “R11” and was posted sometime in spring 2019)

Thanks, have just downloaded this R11, going to try it tomorrow, very strange to put the link only here at the duc.
I could not care anymore with MDW, it took too long.

Happy heavy user now of the ssl duende x-eq, my new eq friend 😁 for 2 years now.

adam79 08-20-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2535872)
Why are you looking at the aax dsp version? The aax native version is only $299.

I don't understand your second paragraph. Listening the instances? What? The only reason some plugins sound better at 96 KHz (if they really do) is because of oversampling inside the plugin to get away from any possible aliasing from working at 44.1/48 KHz. That oversampling inside the plugin has nothing to do with your interface. There's no reason that I know of that a plugin would work better at a higher sample rate; might sound better/different but work better?:confused:

Auto correct.. when the instances are listed in the specs. You can run more at 96 than u can in 48.

musicman691 08-20-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2535921)
Auto correct.. when the instances are listed in the specs. You can run more at 96 than u can in 48.

I don't think so - more at 96 than 48. Got a link to what you're looking at?

Johnny Hulst 08-22-2019 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2535886)

Wel, it seems my system thinks the beta is not a valid 64 bit plugin and asks me to remove the plugin from the pluginfolder :(

Well I just deleted it. Bye MDW

TOM@METRO 08-22-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Hulst (Post 2536048)
Wel, it seems my system thinks the beta is not a valid 64 bit plugin and asks me to remove the plugin from the pluginfolder :(

Well I just deleted it. Bye MDW

It works fine here.

Johnny Hulst 08-22-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2536072)
It works fine here.

Well on a pc or 2019-5 maybe, on my mac with majove and 2019-6 not.