Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Looking for personal Pro Tools instructor - paid (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404958)

erniehinojosa 05-29-2019 06:26 AM

Looking for personal Pro Tools instructor - paid

I'm a complete novice at this stuff and need help. I'm trying to create some drum tracks with my Roland V-Drums TD-17 (new) connected via USB to my MacBook Pro 15" 2018 with 16GB RAM and Pro Tools First. I've been plowing through YouTube videos, message boards, and such but it's taking forever and I'm not getting very far.

So - I'm looking for someone who knows their stuff and can serve as my personal guide to help me:

* configure my system correctly
* record live drum play
* edit what I've recorded
* save the finished product for use in live music setting

I'll pay $20 per hour via Venmo for the right person. We'll connect via Zoom video conferencing or some other method if you prefer. I'd like to start ASAP. Please PM me if you're interested, or know someone else who may be. Thanks.

xrekcor 05-29-2019 02:56 PM

Re: Looking for personal Pro Tools instructor - paid

Have you thought maybe checking your local area for PT courses some of your local education institutions might very well offer these short courses.

Also, If you check Avid’s site there is a support section which also offer video tutorials on getting started that covers most of everything’s your asking in bunch short vid’s called “Get Started fast with Pro Tools” pretty easy to follow along..... actually it was those vid’s that originally got me going..... but then I read through the ref manual 3-4 times after that to get a better understanding of Pro Tools full potential. It’s a from start to finish series of vid’s that cover basic concepts and will definitely get you going.

erniehinojosa 05-30-2019 06:17 AM

Thanks Rob I'll check it out.

xrekcor 05-31-2019 12:25 AM

Nps if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

Extreme Mixing 06-01-2019 01:04 PM

The first thing you should do is buy a version of Pro Tools. The First version is flawed and incomplete.

Steve

xrekcor 06-02-2019 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing (Post 2528065)
The first thing you should do is buy a version of Pro Tools. The First version is flawed and incomplete.

Steve

Never tried the free version so I wouldn’t know the full details... but as a starter it should give the OP a chance to see whether they want to progress while still be able to create something.... maybe kinda like those old Tascam 4 track tape decks that I started out on... they were fantastic then would hate to try and use one now.

albee1952 06-07-2019 08:16 AM

One question; do you intend to use the sounds in the Roland module, or trigger a drum plugin(like EZdrummer or Addictive Drums, or similar)? Once you go into Pro Tools, hit the SETUP menu and go to MIDI>Midi Studio and add an "instrument". Name it Roland TD(or whatever you like) and set the incoming Midi path(this is the crucial part) so PT knows where to "look for" midi data. It will probably show up on a short list as "Roland TD on USB[emulated]". Repeat for the midi output path if you wish to use the sounds from the ROLAND(so midi info can find its way back to the module). Open a STEREO INSTRUMENT track. If you want the Roland sounds, set the audio input(and have cables feeding the Roland L/R outputs to your interface). If you want drum plugin sounds, insert the drum plugin in the top insert slot and put the track into Record-Ready. Playing the kit should make sound(in either scenario).

I used a TD-10 kit for years with several drum VI plugins and it worked extremely well(use the lowest buffer you can for recording your playing). Many plugins have a "E-Kit" preset that maps all the drums to the brand of kit(Roland, Alesis, etc) or you can edit the drum module and change each pad's midi note, which will allow you to customize triggering(like if you want a pad on the kit to trigger a cowbell on the plugin).

BTW, I had friends in Nashville that were doing PT training, but they all charged $50 an hour:o