Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404895)

pepepan 05-25-2019 07:20 AM

Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please!

Hello,

Excuse my English, not my first language.

I'm a professional musician, not an engineer.
I'm using Pro Tools since 2006, never HD or Ultimate, just Native.
I switched from Nuendo because Pro Tools was in every studio and it was good to learn it, but Cubase and Nuendo were way ahead of Pro Tools functions wise.

I have been always waitting for the next big update of Pro Tools to see if they will catch up with some functions that other daws have since the 90s.

I was really looking forward to the 2019 update cause a good friend of mine told me it would be a completely new thing from scratch and that it would open up the door to finally make some serious updates.

I installed the software 2 days ago and I got the same cpu overload "error" that I have had in all the pro tools I had with any computer, any interface at any setting. The cpu was completely fresh, so onces again, it wasn't the cpu. Btw this was running 7 tracks with 7 plugins at 256 buffer size, 16 ram imac quad core, 7200 hd. You can tell me that its about settings but this doesn't happens with cubase or logic on my same computer running 100s of tracks.

The new functions that Avid brings on this super update are just basic functions that should be there years ago, no?

My question is, why is so hard for Avid to improve Pro Tools?
Why still in 2019 the midi is full of bugs that never get fixed?
Why I can't activate or deactivate record on an audio track while playback?
Or insert a plugin while playback if the record on a track is enable?
This things are not like super basic stuff?
Why do they offer that only for Ultimate like it was a super fancy thing to have?
Every other DAW in the planet can do that and way more Years ago!

Can someone with really really true information can tell me why is this happening update after update? Why Pro Tools seams like a heavy dinosaur that can't evolve? Why is so hard to do a couple of updates? Why others do 70 real useful updates from .0 to .5 that easy?

I truly want to like Pro Tools and i try year after year, but Avid doesn't let me.

Some info would be really appreciate it.

Thanks!

pepepan 05-25-2019 01:52 PM

Re: Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please!

No one?...

JFreak 05-25-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepepan (Post 2527155)
This things are not like super basic stuff?

Super basic stuff for PT are the things you can do with a very expensive control surface

Cutlerbri 05-25-2019 02:36 PM

Pepepan, perhaps no one is answering you because your question is a rhetorical one: "Why is it so hard for Avid to improve Pro Tools?"
You might as well ask the question "why are all you stupid people still using using Pro Tools?"

If you like Cubase, Nuendo, or any other DAW, go use it. They're very good. You don't need Pro Tools to cooperate with other studios. I just sent off a client's WAV stems to be mixed by a guy on Logic. My last client's project was mixed on Reaper.

pepepan 05-25-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutlerbri (Post 2527201)
Pepepan, perhaps no one is answering you because your question is a rhetorical one: "Why is it so hard for Avid to improve Pro Tools?"
You might as well ask the question "why are all you stupid people still using using Pro Tools?"

If you like Cubase, Nuendo, or any other DAW, go use it. They're very good. You don't need Pro Tools to cooperate with other studios. I just sent off a client's WAV stems to be mixed by a guy on Logic. My last client's project was mixed on Reaper.

Hey Brian,

No its not a rhetorical one.
I don't know anything about code and honestly want to understand why Pro Tools doesn't evolve faster. Nobody wants to enable record while playback? I'm not bringing any cubase-PT battle here, its just a comparation to make an example. And for SURE im not calling anyone here stupid!

I havent found a professional answer about it, just want to honestly understand!

Darryl Ramm 05-25-2019 04:29 PM

Unfortunately it is a rhetorical question even if you don’t intend it to be. It’s not going to help you make progress with Pro Tools. Most folks that hang out here know that they are able to get Pro Tools to do all they need (or they would have gone to another DAW). And most of us know and have to deal with Pro Tools being complex and sensitive software that has to be cared for to deliver best results.

If you are having problems and want help start at “help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page page, provide a clear description of your system, your setup, exact errors, what you are doing, and what standard troubleshooting you have done, start by making sure all the standard systems optimizations have been done.

And before posting here with a problem google search for your specific issues, many are answered on the Web, Avid knowledge base or in DUC.

You are running an Apollo Quad... hopefully you understand the implications there with large IO buffer requirements when running UAD plugins in Pro Tools.

You are on Pro Tools 12, you may be wasting your time fighting problems on old 12..... 2019.5 was released recently and is a stunningly impressive release, it greatly improves plugin processing/CPU scalability/thread performance over 11/12/2019) very dramatic change being widely discussed on DUC-look at those threads if you are interested. If you are having any CPU related issues (6106 etc. you likely should just upgrade). You can get a free trial of 2019.5 Ultimate if you want...

... or if Pro Tools is not cutting it for you please just switch DAWS. There are lots of really great other DAWs out there, I would never give up Logic Pro... (and it had been unstable and buggy as well at times).

pepepan 05-25-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2527214)
Unfortunately it is a rhetorical question even if you don’t intend it to be. It’s not going to help you make progress with Pro Tools. Most folks that hang out here know that they are able to get Pro Tools to do all they need (or they would have gone to another DAW). And most of us know and have to deal with Pro Tools being complex and sensitive software that has to be cared for to deliver best results.

If you are having problems and want help start at “help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page page, provide a clear description of your system, your setup, exact errors, what you are doing, and what standard troubleshooting you have done, start by making sure all the standard systems optimizations have been done.

And before posting here with a problem google search for your specific issues, many are answered on the Web, Avid knowledge base or in DUC.

You are running an Apollo Quad... hopefully you understand the implications there with large IO buffer requirements when running UAD plugins in Pro Yools.

You are on Pro Tools 12, you are likely wast8bg your time even thinking about issues on old 12. 2019.5 was released recently and is a stunningly impressive release, being widely discussed on DUC. If you are having any CPU related issues (6106 etc. you likely should just upgrade).

First of all Im trying to get an answer here because its impossible to get an answer from Avid!
It seams that its not possible even here without a hardcore fan jumping to attack.
Im running the "stunningly impresive" 2019.5 and I had a cpu error the first day running 7 tracks!
I really wanted to keep using PT but would love to understand why it doesnt move forward!!! I havent been in a session were Pro Tools havent stop working for something, big studios included!
I was looking forward to this update, but it seams its the same, and it seams is impossible to get any rasonable answer here. Like Avid customer service...
And i didnt post here for any specific issue, so go google yourself!

Darryl Ramm 05-25-2019 05:03 PM

But your question is rhetorical and it’s also incorrect in premise about not “moving forward”. Pro Tools *has* made huge advances, 2019.5 is the proof. Go read all the threads from users here about how great an improvement it is. Now your problem is something is not working *for you*. Who knows why that is, if it’s something messed up on your system, or a real issue in 2019.5. Nobody can guess, and neither can you until you do some work. I have pointed you at how to get help if you want it. I don’t see a single thread on DUC where you have provided enough basic info for anybody to help you.

pepepan 05-25-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2527219)
But your question is rhetorical and it’s also incorrect in premise about not “moving forward”. Pro Tools *has* made huge advances, 2019.5 is the proof. Go read all the threads from users here about how great an improvement it is. Now your problem is something is not working *for you*. Who knows why that is, if it’s something messed up on your system, or a real issue in 2019.5. Nobody can guess, and neither can you until you do some work. I have pointed you at how to get help if you want it. I don’t see a single thread on DUC where you have provided enough basic info for anybody to help you.

I have seen lots of people complaining, not just me. And I came to ask why it move so slow! Im talking about why PT has 7 real updates when others have 70!
Just asking why they dont improve it fast enough. Im not the only one asking for simple things like adding a plugin while playback when one track has record enable, or arm the track to record while playback, that is just availble for midi track. Not for audio. That! Is my humble question. Why is it so difficult to offer that in an update!?

Sardi 05-25-2019 05:26 PM

Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please!

Firstly, this is a user forum. The only answers you’re going to get to your question are at best, informed guesses. You’re not talking to the people that designed or coded the software.

Secondly, if you want an answer from a user who’s been using this software for over 20 years, here goes. PT is VERY old codebase. There are many things I wish it could do and wish it would handle better, but my honest opinion is that the codebase is so old that anything they try to do causes them serious issues or is virtually impossible to do. Bundle that with the the fact that they have to deal with the enormous elephant that is HD hardware, and you have a very complex beast.

The software needs to be rewritten from scratch and be agile. When will it happen? Who knows. The perfect opportunity was with v11, but it didn’t happen then. Will it happen when the Mac OS stops allowing 32bit software to run this year? Maybe. Or maybe they’ll find away to port what needs to be to 64bit without having to rewrite everything from scratch.

What they needed was 2 teams running concurrently. One maintaining and updating the current version and one working on the new version. If it took 5 years, so be it. It wouldn’t have mattered. But to do this requires resources. Not sure if you’ve seen AVIDs financials, but they’re far from flush with cash. Apple they are not.

Anyhoo, hope that helps shed some light on why you’re experience is what it is. Honestly, if it doesn’t work from you, then switch. There’s absolutely no need to stay with PT if you find something like Cubase suits you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk