Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Please help me find MIDI Sequencer info (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321966)

Bumbling Sidekick 04-30-2012 09:48 PM

Please help me find MIDI Sequencer info

I'm using 8.0.5 and trying to learn about MIDI with my Oxygen 88. I look at the "Audio Plug-ins Guide", page 116 Under "Inserting a Creative Collection Instrument on a Pro Tools Instrument Track." I've done that and puttered about. At the bottom, on pg. 116, it says "See the Pro Tools Reference Guide for instructions on how to use the MIDI sequencer in Pro Tools."
I cannot find anything about a "MIDI sequencer" in the 8.0 Reference Manual (or the 9.0 Reference Manual for that matter).
Can someone point me in the right direction to finding out "about how to use a MIDI sequencer in Pro Tools.
Thank you,

Scott
President of the Pacific Ocean

albee1952 05-01-2012 07:22 PM

Re: Please help me find MIDI Sequencer info

Assuming you have a midi controller(any keyboard with a midi output), its easy. Create a STEREO INSTRUMENT track. Insert the instrument plugin of choice(MiniGrand, DB-33, Hybrid, Vacuum, Xpand) in the top insert slot. Click on the red record button on the track and play your midi keyboard. You SHOULD hear the sound of the plugin. If you do, enter record and play the keyboard. That will record the midi performance. When you hit stop, then play the track, your midi info should be playing the same thing you just played. By choosing NOTES view on the track(in the EDIT window( you can edit the midi performance, move notes, delete wrong notes, etc. You can also expand the track to add lanes that will show more info such as velocity, sustain, pitch wheel, etc). With these parameters on the screen, you can adjust/edit them as well. from here, experimenting is the next step:D

Bumbling Sidekick 05-02-2012 09:09 AM

Thanks albee. I did check and see that I have followed your procedure to create my tracks. The part that was confusing me was the Avid Pro Tools Plug-ins Guide referring me to the Reference Guide for information about "MIDI sequencers." As I've figured out, that's just their way of saying MIDI. There is no "sequencer" in the index or table of contents because, technically, the MIDI keyboard (or synthesizer) IS the sequencer. It is just the device you use to enter your performance (data). So, once I figured that out, then it became easy to find "MIDI sequencer" info in the Ref. Manual. I just had to look at MIDI info. Like my daddy used to say, "Too soon old & too late smart."
Thanks for your help

filosofem 05-03-2012 12:35 AM

Terminology is one of the hard learning curves. Pro Tools documentation does have thee odd Primer and Glossary that might ease that pain.