Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride.. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389944)

Tao Jones 03-24-2017 01:29 PM

Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

I've been away from music for awhile. Started back up a couple years ago... wasn't impressed with Avid's new pricing model so I let my license expired. Avid is giving 1 free year of renewal with the purchase of a reinstatement plan. How many of you said "screw it" and just let your version ride out. Have they done much with updates? I know the last time I checked, video was still messed up. I was messing around with a session the other day and noticed if I was moving midi notes around while the project was playing, the graphics would start lagging. This is on 12.5.2.

YYR123 03-24-2017 01:55 PM

What OS you running?

I renewed last September....I don't know that they will bring anything major to the table by this September.

I don't use EUCON so I don't need those updates.....

I went back to Win so I won't need Avid to update me b/c of Apples most recent version sickness.

I could probably let it ride this September....too soon to tell.

grayter1 03-24-2017 02:07 PM

Re: Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

I have until November to re-up, but I've been using Reaper more and more, and PT less and less.

Although today, I used PT (ver 12.7.1) for an interview record at work on our Mac mini, RME MADIface XT (3 tracks - interviewer, guest speaking foreign language and interpreter) and PT stopped 12 minutes in with a CPU over load message.

3 tracks. No effects. Large buffer size. External raid drive.

*sigh*

Was thinking about recording in Reaper before we rolled. I should have listened to my inner voice...

tg

Tao Jones 03-24-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2420822)
What OS you running?

I renewed last September....I don't know that they will bring anything major to the table by this September.

I don't use EUCON so I don't need those updates.....

I went back to Win so I won't need Avid to update me b/c of Apples most recent version sickness.

I could probably let it ride this September....too soon to tell.

I'm running the latest MacOS. I use Eucon. Maybe I should consider reinstating since Apple is constantly changing the OS. Didn't really think about this until now.

Tao Jones 03-24-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayter1 (Post 2420826)
I have until November to re-up, but I've been using Reaper more and more, and PT less and less.

Although today, I used PT (ver 12.7.1) for an interview record at work on our Mac mini, RME MADIface XT (3 tracks - interviewer, guest speaking foreign language and interpreter) and PT stopped 12 minutes in with a CPU over load message.

3 tracks. No effects. Large buffer size. External raid drive.

*sigh*

Was thinking about recording in Reaper before we rolled. I should have listened to my inner voice...

tg

Damn that sucks. I've been trying to get away from Pro Tools for awhile. I actually got certified for Logic 7 but could never get used to the workflow. I'm not a professional but music production is so therapeutic. I guess I'd have to spend the reinstatement fee one day when things break.
I run a cylinder Mac pro Octo core and sometimes I get cpu spikes from 4 to 5 instrument tracks and a couple aux tracks with effects. . The instrument tracks, however, are getting their audio through ether net from Vienna Ensemble Pro.. which is on a other computer. It doesnt happen that often but it seems abnormal.

CygnusX-1Bk2 03-24-2017 05:06 PM

I do game and post work in addition to music so I don't have much use for other DAWs. However I let my plan lapse as of the last week of 2016 mostly because I don't feel I've gotten $599 (my 2015 plan price) nor $399 worth of updates in the previous year. I also don't feel the need to update my OS just because Apple makes a new one. I only do that when it becomes necessary. Still on Mavericks. I may wait to update from HDN to HDX if they do another exchange that makes sense financially. Otherwise I am sitting out until there's a significant update to PT.

jryser 03-24-2017 06:31 PM

I stopped on Mavs and 11.3. Have two laptops and both are clones. Should last another 10 years when I'm likely done with recording OR some company comes to their senses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Johns 03-24-2017 06:57 PM

I have yet to upgrade HD11 to 12 and have no plans to if ever unless they come to thier senses and come up with reasonable costs/value. Heck I've owned HD11 since the day it came out, but just finally moved to it a couple of months ago.

I have a Native version that is on 12 and will continue to update it every year. At $99 that's no big deal.

digiot 03-25-2017 06:22 AM

The problem with letting your license lapse is that at this point Avid charges $899 to get your HD license reinstated. So letting it "ride" only works if you wait it out for at least 2 years! What are the chances of Avid not coming with a useful update in 2 years?!. A stable release instead of adding features no one asked for (cloud collaboration and loops!? WTF). Even if it takes them 2 years, its still $100 cheaper to keep up to date (2 X $399 instead of $899).
I guess I have 5 days to make that desision :cool:

Southsidemusic 03-25-2017 06:25 AM

It is $999 , not $899 to reinstate a HD license ...

See here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/