Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Can't import video "Avid engine not installed"??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=328989)

garnoil 10-05-2012 12:42 AM

Can't import video "Avid engine not installed"???

I just got an OMF. Opened the OMF (worked as normal), and tried to import the video file they gave me. Pro-Tools gives error "Can't import because Avid engine not installed". I have never seen this, why is this when I am importing a QT file. If I make a blank PT session and import the tracks from the OMF I can then import the video as normal (just one more PITA step to deal with). So this related to something in the OMF they gave me.

thanks

Craig F 10-05-2012 11:36 AM

Re: Can't import video "Avid engine not installed"???

what codec is the file?

garnoil 10-05-2012 04:40 PM

Pro res, same as all other videos that work...that is why it is strange

Craig F 10-05-2012 05:24 PM

Avid Video Engine relates to the driver fore using a Mojo with Pro Tools, or that's what it use to do

version of Pro Tools?

I'd be suspect of the OMF

garnoil 10-05-2012 07:41 PM

TDM HD 10.2 Mac. I have never seen this before. This is 100% related to the OMF, somehow the OMF got stamped thinking that it was a mojo but I was told it was cut in FCP, I made a blank session, imported the tracks from the OMF session, imported video, it worked as it should have. This is the first of 6 OMF (I am doing a tv series), so I'll see how the other OMF behave, may be it was a one in a million bad fluke.

inf0l 10-08-2012 03:38 AM

Are you sure you selected the video file in the "Import Video"-dialogue?

The reason I ask is because I've had that popup come up when I mistakenly selected an OMF in "Import video" (or mistakenly tried to import the OMF through "Import video" rather than "Import session data" - sometimes my fingers are just too thick and hit both cmd+opt...).

garnoil 10-08-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inf0l (Post 1970433)
Are you sure you selected the video file in the "Import Video"-dialogue?

The reason I ask is because I've had that popup come up when I mistakenly selected an OMF in "Import video" (or mistakenly tried to import the OMF through "Import video" rather than "Import session data" - sometimes my fingers are just too thick and hit both cmd+opt...).

I think so, I tried it twice but it is always possible that I made a mistake. One more thing about this, that same OMF (same session) also had another problem with was :logical end of file reached: and would not correctly import all the OMF (files missing and not finding links), I now think it was just a corrupt OMF and video. I am doing a 6 part tv series all other omfs worked perfectly so this must have been corrupt.

Soundburst 10-08-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnoil (Post 1970472)
I think so, I tried it twice but it is always possible that I made a mistake. One more thing about this, that same OMF (same session) also had another problem with was :logical end of file reached: and would not correctly import all the OMF (files missing and not finding links), I now think it was just a corrupt OMF and video. I am doing a 6 part tv series all other omfs worked perfectly so this must have been corrupt.

Have you installed the Avid Video Engine? It's an option when you install or update Pro Tools. . it's unticked by default..

rafukyo 10-08-2012 11:27 AM

Don't install the video engine if you don't have a mojo. It will make PT launch much slower looking for the mojo hardware and not finding it.

garnoil 10-08-2012 04:45 PM

Avid engine is NOT installed