Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   197 audio not where it should be? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411960)

rdpar 09-20-2020 10:18 AM

197 audio not where it should be?

Where did my audio go? I can automatically have them reloaded but, where are they, so I can put them back in my session audio folder?

albee1952 09-20-2020 12:04 PM

Re: 197 audio not where it should be?

1 Attachment(s)
Only you can figure that out. Where did these audio files come from? Imported from some external drive? Brought in as a full session from another PT setup? Recorded directly into the session you are opening? All these options( and more) can affect where the files reside. Assuming you can relink and get all the files to play, you could make a "working" version of the session by going to File>Save Copy in>check the box called Audio Files under "Items to copy" and save this to your recording drive as a separate session. Doing this will copy all the audio files into this new version, even if those files come from multiple locations.

If you set the Clips bin to show the full path name of the audio files(see photo), you can see exactly where they now are. If they are somewhere OTHER than your session file, that's the issue and doing the Save Copy as described above is a good fix. You do have other options, but that's the easy and certain method:o

rdpar 09-20-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2578310)
Only you can figure that out. Where did these audio files come from? Imported from some external drive? Brought in as a full session from another PT setup? Recorded directly into the session you are opening? All these options( and more) can affect where the files reside. Assuming you can relink and get all the files to play, you could make a "working" version of the session by going to File>Save Copy in>check the box called Audio Files under "Items to copy" and save this to your recording drive as a separate session. Doing this will copy all the audio files into this new version, even if those files come from multiple locations.

If you set the Clips bin to show the full path name of the audio files(see photo), you can see exactly where they now are. If they are somewhere OTHER than your session file, that's the issue and doing the Save Copy as described above is a good fix. You do have other options, but that's the easy and certain method:o

Yup, you are so right. DUH! I just panicked. But , one day they were there and the next they weren't. I had been doing a lot of archiving my sessions and must have screwed that one up somehow. Thanks for the advice.

albee1952 09-20-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdpar (Post 2578315)
Yup, you are so right. DUH! I just panicked. But , one day they were there and the next they weren't. I had been doing a lot of archiving my sessions and must have screwed that one up somehow. Thanks for the advice.

Glad you got it sorted! Most of us have made the same goof at least once or twice. Especially when someone brings a session in on a flash drive or external hard drive. There is a setting in Prefs to Always Copy Files on Import, and you should have that checked, but its still not 100% foolproof. Since getting bit a few times, my normal procedure is to copy the entire session folder onto my audio drive before opening. If its just audio files and not a session(maybe it was started on another DAW), I will copy them into the session folder I will create, and I will import from there(so if I screw that up, at least I know right where all the files are):o