Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Who prefers a mouse to a control surface? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=49798)

J. Guerrero 11-08-2002 07:01 PM

Re: Who prefers a mouse to a control surface?

Call me a freak, but I prefer my iBook's trackpad anyday over a mouse or control surface.
You can move your finger over it as if it was a fader or a pan slider, and it's extremely close to the keyboard's keys.
And now I'm more skilled moving the pointer with the trackpad than with the mouse...
What else can you ask?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

lynxxx 11-08-2002 11:09 PM

I am a Luddite and strongly resisted the idea of a "board" on a computer screen. I was going to get one of those Roland VS things, but the more I looked the more I got worried about that TINY screen. When a friend got ProTools I got interested and once I tried it I was hooked. If you like a mouse then you'll have to LOVE a trackball-the big Kensington ones are the ticket. You can lean back in your chair and do most everything with just slight movements of your fingers.

"To me, the mouse is upside down"

encephalon 11-08-2002 11:26 PM

I use both Pro Tools and Logic, with most of my recent projects being in Logic. I learned Pro Tools without a control surface, and am very comfortable using the mouse (or trackball) while working on this platform.

However, I bought a Logic Control shortly after I started using Logic, and really "got into" Logic after I had the control surface. I can't imagine doing anything in Logic without the control surface. Motorized faders and v-pots are great, and allow me to move the "mixer" window to a second monitor, allowing the "edit/arrange" window to occupy my whole 17" Studio Display.

But I've found that the most convenient features of the Logic Control are the transport buttons and the jog wheel. It is so liberating to be able to "dial" through a song without having to go to the scroll buttons or fiddle with arrow keys. In fact, I am now using Logic to play back audio that I need to transcribe. I used to use a CD player, and deal with the ff/rv buttons, which can take time to move from section to section. Now I import the audio into Logic, and can locate any part of the song in less than a second. This has seriously sped up my transcription time!

I also like having the "save", "undo", and "cancel" buttons at my fingertips.

I was very excited when the LC/HUI emulator was released, but I find that when I do go back to Pro Tools, I don't use the control surface. Maybe it's because I learned it with a mouse.

MidnightFlyer 11-08-2002 11:30 PM

I also like the Kensington trackball, as I have no room on my work desk to manuever a mouse. The best part is flipping from the mix window to the edit window, simply by pressing a pre-programmed button.

Rita 11-08-2002 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MidnightFlyer:
The best part is flipping from the mix window to the edit window, simply by pressing a pre-programmed button.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a shuttle Pro and programed the hot key on it.
I know that's so refreshing!!

Sorry for being a little OT,but a question for you who use the Kengington trackball.
Has it completely replaced your mouse?
I've tried it before at a local computer store, but
What I remember is that it was really diffculit to use. Do I need a little long time to get used it? The shuttle pro in the left hand, in the right hand, the Trackball... I wouldn't have to use the hot keys.. of course a controll surface, either. No, I don't have a desk space, either.

lynxxx 11-09-2002 12:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rita:

"Sorry for being a little OT,but a question for you who use the Kengsington trackball.
Has it completely replaced your mouse? "

Absolutely! I've got 2 brand new Mac mice stored away somewhere. Knew I had to have a trackball the first time I tried it. It's got to be easier for you than trying to roll a ball around on a desk/pad/etc.(IMHO) Totally easy to learn and many programmable features (like the screen switch).Get one of the big silver ones(Expert Mouse Pro, Turbo MousePro,etc) some are wireless.
"To me, the mouse is upside down"

Chompers 11-09-2002 04:31 AM

COntrol surfaces are good for mixing.
IF you ever mix on a "real" board. You learn the beauty of using faders and knobs that are always in the EXACT same place. Nothing ruins an idea like searching for that track fader...scrolling up and down..clicking windows.
THat being said... THe PRo COntrol at the studio was sold at a 50% loss. IT never got used.
We never mix without the SSL, so the PRo Control was useless.
Control surfaces are usually bought by newbies who think its a great idea, then they sell it a year later.
But if you've got the cash, it is a great tool for mixing.

BTW: How in the world do you guys edit stuff with a trackball. Everytime I see someone use a trackball in Pro Tools, I get anxious watching them SSSLLLOOOWWLLY move the cursor in tiny little movements. When the try to grab audio regions its a 6 step proccess. I just dont get it with those track balls. Not to mention a track pad? holy crap! that must be a nightmare!
To each his own( or hers).

MidnightFlyer 11-09-2002 11:12 AM

Chompers. I know NOT of what you speak. Took five minutes to get used to it. Trying to grab regions is only a one-step process. It goes fast, it is not a nightmare. If it was, I wouldn't be using it. Who would...? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

lynxxx 11-09-2002 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MidnightFlyer:
Chompers. I know NOT of what you speak. Took five minutes to get used to it. Trying to grab regions is only a one-step process. It goes fast, it is not a nightmare. If it was, I wouldn't be using it. Who would...? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well said,MidnightFlyer.

But, to each their own (we can but try). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

terrydrums 11-10-2002 08:23 PM

I use a Logitech trackball and it's heaven. The only thing I have to move is my thumb. I can be as precise and quick as I want to be. I don't have a lot of real estate since my Mac keyboard takes up most of the space on my pullout drawer. The trackball doesn't have to be moved around like a mouse and fits right where I want it. I worked briefly at a studio that was using the regular standard-issue Apple mouse and it was like going back to the dark ages!

Plus, I usually don't have to ever move more than one PT fader at a time, so a control surface would be useless to me. Not to mention, I'm addicted to key commands for just about everything!

T. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]