Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Clean edits popping after consolidating [resolved] (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372027)

Tim R. 09-17-2015 12:11 PM

Clean edits popping after consolidating [resolved]

Here's the scenario: I've got a mix bounce track that I am punching into. I always check the punches to make sure they are clean. After a number of punches I go and consolidate a larger section to clean it up before I export back to AVID. I've discovered that a number of those edits that play cleanly now POP after consolidating. Any idea what could be causing this?

cwsand 09-17-2015 12:52 PM

Re: Clean edits popping after consolidating

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 2294916)
Here's the scenario: I've got a mix bounce track that I am punching into. I always check the punches to make sure they are clean. After a number of punches I go and consolidate a larger section to clean it up before I export back to AVID. I've discovered that a number of those edits that play cleanly now POP after consolidating. Any idea what could be causing this?

Have you zoomed in on the edits before and after consolidating to make sure the waveforms are consistent at the edit? It sounds like there may be some kind of shifting of the clips on the timeline going on so that the waveforms aren't lining up properly when consolidating. A crossfade at the edit point might help, but if the clips are somehow getting moved, that's not really a long-term solution.

mesaone 09-17-2015 12:52 PM

Have you enabled "quantize edits to frame boundaries"?

Drew Mazurek 09-17-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 2294916)

If you have auto fades enabled in the prefs, it will playback fine but not when consolidated.

Tim R. 09-17-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2294934)
If you have auto fades enabled in the prefs, it will playback fine but not when consolidated.

It was this auto fades pref that was smoothing playback (but not consolidated version). Surprised that PTs doesn't add this xfade when consolidating so they match. Starting another thread on the fact that punch-ins don't match previous records (looks like processing- ie compression etc- "catches up" after the punch in). Seems that it takes about 250 samples after the punch in for the waveforms to match exactly. continuing testing between mix revisions.