Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PT on a MAC for 25 years, thinking of Jumping to PC (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400535)

EarHole 08-08-2018 10:54 PM

PT on a MAC for 25 years, thinking of Jumping to PC

Apple has left us in the lurch in terms of Pro Level Hardware. It's time to upgrade in the next year or so and I can't bring myself jump in on a new mac that will have little to no upgrade options a few years later. Apple would rather sell iPads it seems.

I just built a screaming PC for my daughter for gaming and it's got me thinking. It blows my mac away and was a fraction of the price.

Anyone else go to the dark side?

papalou 08-09-2018 12:15 AM

Re: PT on a MAC for 25 years, thinking of Jumping to PC

Well, Win10 is as crappy as current OS X release is.
But there's some good hardware on this side, you should have a look on HP Z workstations, which are very reliable and well designed (technically, I mean, as they're really ugly :D). Close to what Mac Pro's were six years ago.

TOM@METRO 08-09-2018 04:33 AM

I'm very happy with Windows 10 here.

Meads 08-09-2018 05:39 AM

Why not build a PC and keep using MacOS?
Best of both worlds, imho.

EarHole 08-09-2018 08:25 AM

Are you suggesting OS works on a PC? I wasn't aware that was an option.

These are for my company so I can't venture into hackintosh realms.
One of the things I like about the Mac is that it just works, all day and I rarely have issues.

Southsidemusic 08-09-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EarHole (Post 2496437)
Apple has left us in the lurch in terms of Pro Level Hardware. It's time to upgrade in the next year or so and I can't bring myself jump in on a new mac ..

Well depends on how you define "Pro Level" as we work with some of the biggest artists on the planet and use two MacPro Late 2013 trashcans and do finished productions which plays on radio and charts all over the world daily so saying Apple isn't working with Pro's anylonger is not an accurate statement, it's an opinion IMHO and I would state my opinion in that both our Trashcans and our newly bought MBP 2018 with only 16GB ram which we run outside the studio works great!! Yes yes, we do record accoustic guitars, bass, pianos and vocals of course aswell as 30-40 VI and loads of plugins on all Macs with over 150 tracks and lots of fades, edits and tweaks so for pop music Mac still works on a pro level and I still haven't come accross any big studio here in Europe where I see a PC if they use PT HD.

Not saying ANYTHING negative about PC and WINDOWS as I KNOW they work just as good as Mac when setup properly ( we are looking at buying a PC top Spec for allround usage ) so if you are comfortable with Mac there are working models for music and audio and picture of course like trashcans and rebuilt Cheese graters.

EarHole 08-09-2018 10:01 AM

I See your point but I guess I'm thinking of it more in terms of being able to design a rig with components that go beyond what a Trashcan can do. They're expensive and don't offer much in terms of future expandability. I'm looking at upgrading computers and don't see much in terms of innovation on the Mac. Just strategically eaked out improvements.

Just weighing my options.

Meads 08-09-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2496457)
... and use two MacPro Late 2013 trashcans...

You have no idea what you're missing out on then when it comes to feel and overall performance. ;)

TOM@METRO 08-09-2018 11:32 AM

So far, so good. But please don't let this become another Mac vs PC thread.

Meads 08-09-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2496469)
So far, so good. But please don't let this become another Mac vs PC thread.

This is basically what the whole thread is about. No need to participate if you don't care for it.