Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Are TDM Systems as Buggy as LE? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=147864)

100grit 09-29-2005 12:23 PM

Are TDM Systems as Buggy as LE?

Getting REALLY tired of the dreaded -9094 and diff errors that come up with using PTLE6.9
If I upgrade will the usual bugs still happen???

Rail Jon Rogut 09-29-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Are TDM Systems as Buggy as LE?

Why don't you list your system details -- motherboard, how much RAM, which OS and service pack, which qualified FireWire card you have installed, what model hard drives (and how are they formatted)?

LE shouldn't be an issue -- it all depends on the system it's running on (as with any DAW).

Rail

100grit 09-30-2005 08:06 AM

All my specs have been checked by Digi and are fine. I was researching posts and came up with alot on the subject including this one that made me post my original question in here:

"I think it is pretty clear by now that it isn't really a question of creating a bug fix - It seems pretty clear that THEY SIMPLY CAN'T - are not able to - lack the know-how / ability to do so... No can do - This is a pretty major issue - but Digidesign can't figure out how to resolve the problem... or they would have - they should stick to the hardware based platforms - if those actually work better and leave the lower end of the market alone - I have had discussions with several people about Pro Tools, successful film score composers, well-known music magazine editors, audio eng
ineers, and musicians at several stages of their careers - pretty much the only ones not talking smack about Pro Tools are the morons that sold me my PT stuff and Digidesign themselves. They don;t even care that PT is a market standard and all that other hogwash many of us bought into - These days most studios can support more than 1 platform and you won't believe how often questions about PT interoperability on other companies' user forums get the following response - "just skip PT, don't need it - Product X will do that without hassles or the money grubbin' greedy culture."

I just want to record, ya know??

Rail Jon Rogut 09-30-2005 10:07 AM

And if you read the rest of that thread -- he has incompatible hardware.

As I said before -- list your specs.

Rail

100grit 09-30-2005 10:26 AM

My specs are fine.

Rail Jon Rogut 09-30-2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

I just want to record, ya know??

Apparently not.

Rail

100grit 09-30-2005 12:42 PM

You should drop the 'tude...... positive thinking and response does wonders....opps....you're in LA....that explains everything. Don't wanna be in a flame war. Thanks for some of your input.

MoreMeintheMonitors 09-30-2005 01:32 PM

I'm not sure that you quite understand, 100grit - Rail Jon is one of THE most competent, helpful and knowlegeable people on the DUC. He is sincerely trying to help you, but if you don't give him (or anyone else) any specific information on your system, then there's not much anyone can do.

Post something like 'is TDM as buggy as LE' is like saying 'is mac better than pc' - there's no real relevance in it. The point being that both systems can be problematic IF the system is not configured properly.

In my experience (15+ years as engineer, producer and mac/pc tech), there have been very, very few situations where a properly configured system won't work really well with Pro Tools. 99.9% of all problems are misconfiguration or user error. Sure, there are bugs but, for the most part, they aren't show-stoppers. Especially on Windows, proper setup and configuration is critical.

SO - if you want help with getting your system working, please post information on your system and, most likely, someone will be able to help you.

100grit 09-30-2005 01:53 PM

It was a simple question to see if people with TDM had as many problems as people with LE. Reading past posts and replies in the LE Windows area and you'll find plenty of problems, even with systems that are up to spec. "Is Mac better than PC" - as you said, well in PT, yes it is, so it is relevant, IMHO. The Windows XP platform is much more buggy and has more problems than a Mac, don't you agree?? I agree with you on Windows XP.... proper setup and configuration is critical.

I thank both of you for your input. I didn't want to get into my system analysis, just an honest answer to a simple question. When people start with the 'tude, I'm out.

Cliffy_Boy 09-30-2005 03:20 PM

FWIW, since moving from LE to HD3 accel, I have never had any PT errors. No 74xx, 69xx etc. BUT - PT has crashed at least as many times. Usually a plug-in gone bad or prefs that needed trashing. Nothing too complicated. Tracking has been bulletproof with HD.