Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   best stereo mic pre under $200 ... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=47269)

MarkGenero 07-22-2002 06:19 AM

best stereo mic pre under $200 ...

Hey,

I've got an apogee rosetta AD converter to go with my 001. I want to use the apogee's AD converter for everything going into pro tools LE. Therefore I can't use the 001 pre's. So I need a stand alone stereo mic pre that I can plug into my rosetta. Can you guys give me some suggestions for such a beast that is a bit better than the 001's pres in the $150 to $200 range.

Remember STEREO, and I don't neet anything else on it like compression, eq, etc. Just a stereo pre.

Thanks,
Mark

unclemurray 07-22-2002 07:54 AM

Re: best stereo mic pre under $200 ...

Why on earth would you get an appogee and then want to run a $200 mic pre through it? Wait a little bit for the FMR RNMP which should hit the streets at $350 or so and is rumored to have incredible sound while not sounding sterile.

onezero 07-22-2002 09:59 AM

any update about when the FMR Really Nice Mic Pre is to be released? I've been hearing about it for almost a year, and am sitting tight.

davidp158 07-22-2002 10:18 AM

Doug is rignt on this. If you've already got good gear, don't minimize it by putting low end stuff in front of it. Most (all?) the mic pres under $200 are mono, anyway. In the grand scheme of things, if you intend to stay in recording for a while, buy gear that will grow with you...not stuff you'll outgrow.

dave patterson / knobville

Quote:

Originally posted by unclemurray:
Why on earth would you get an appogee and then want to run a $200 mic pre through it? Wait a little bit for the FMR RNMP which should hit the streets at $350 or so and is rumored to have incredible sound while not sounding sterile.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

mosshed 07-22-2002 03:26 PM

Look for a used joe meek vc3. Definately not a transparent sound but that's about the only pre of any merit for under 200 bucks used. Otherwise save up until the fmr comes out or something else in the $500 range.

mosshed

Carl Z 07-22-2002 07:18 PM

Try a Mackie 1202 VLZ. Should run about $350.

Carl

MarkGenero 07-23-2002 06:27 PM

Why would I get a rosetta and run a $200 mic pre through it?

sad realities of life, my friend. This is a hobby for me.

Monetary issues are forcing me to sell my neumann U87 mic and avalon 737sp mic pre. I just can't justify their expense given what I do with it. I can get good money for them, but the rosetta will only bring about $500 used(suprise). So I'm keeping the rosetta and I bought a studio projects C1 mic to replace the neumann u87. To take advantage of the rosetta AD converter I need a stand alone mic pre because there's no way to "insert" the rosetta on the 001 after the mic pre. I could just plug the C1 into the 001 mic pre and use the rosetta to clock pro tools, but I want to use the rosetta AD converter. So to do this without spending a significant amount I need a seperate mic pre (preferably stereo so I can also use the rosetta's ad converter for my synths. I could kick myself for selling my mackie 1202 VLZ last month. That was a mistake. It would have been perfect for me now. Ah, hidnsight is always....

I think I am going to wait for the RNC mic pre. It seems like it's going to be the best bang for the buck. Presonus has the blue tube stereo mic pre for a buck and a half, but I don't know anything about it.

It'll be really interesting to see how the things I record now with the C1, low end mic pre, rosetta AD converter chain compare to the things I recorded previously with the Neumann u87, avalon 737, rosetta chain. If it turns out to be in the same ballpark, it will be quite a revelation.

(I am keeping the Waves gold bundle also)

Mark

Ben Jenssen 07-23-2002 06:49 PM

I will look forward to hearing the results. I use my two C1s all the time.
Thru the 001s and a behringer [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ,
but I’ve gotten myself a TL Audio PA-2 that I am just beginning to try out.

My first "separate pre"! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
(I think I got good results without them though.

SummerOverture 07-23-2002 07:01 PM

I own a Mackie 1202-VLZ and I am quite happy with it.

NannerPuddin' 07-24-2002 12:20 AM

That is one one the worst things I have heard in my life!!!! Having to sell a U87 and a 737sp, and then getting a cheapie? I'm really sorry. I really mean it, and am not being sarcastic. If someone took away my 001 and all I had was my Tascam Porta 2, I think that would be roughly the same(except for the $ amounts involved). I hope your situation improves!!!!

Sympathies,

NP