Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Why Native vs. DSP Cards? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300038)

Greg M 06-10-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

Just for the record, my system works with no issues (see my signature). Also, I do not have a noise issue with my Omni.

Obviously, the choice of an I/O box is dependent on your individual needs. For me, I wanted to see how the HD Native performed before adding any additional I/O. I am very impressed with the Omni performance and the converters are just fantastic. But, I/O is limited so I will be adding an HD IO (16x16).

As long as you have a relatively current computer, HD Native should not dissapoint.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Filmusic 06-11-2011 01:27 AM

looking at the cost and proven ability of an older HD system.....today, compared with anything new.....today

well,

I've gone with a ilok PT HD 8.0 asset ($75) core card ($689) and a 192 digital ($799) and a dell 690 with 2Xdual3.2procs ($350) with 10 gigs of ram ($150) and by way of the 192's legacy port either my adat bridge/24 ($175) that I can swap with my 888/24 ($175) ...should i need to....and I'm searching for a used accel card for $500...(laugh as you will - one accel card just went on ebay for $530 this morning..ha ha $30 way more then I'm prepared to pay - yup I can wait - ha ha)

as what can I say?

I'd rather buy cheap beer then spend excessive coin on teck (been buying both now for 30 years...this year i made a decision...cheap beer over teck)

...although I have seven 1970's strats - which were high teck in their time...so that's got to count for something...ha ha...maybe...now back to the cold cheap beer...

all in (excluding the beer and the strats) for - ta da - $2,913!!!

Before I bought all of the above (with the exeption of the accel card, as i'm still looking) I already had a few nice pre's with lightpipe capability (including aes-ebu) ...so really...I feel great with an almost $3k spend to transition from 3 LE to HD...hell $3k...that got you a little over a M1 in the day...ha ha...love today!!!

the cost to transition could even gets less if i was to sell my 1. Original Mbox 2. My Mbox 2 Pro, and 3. my Digi 003r

but I'll keep them..as they work great as audio interfaces with my avid video suites...everything usually 'CAN' have a purpose....if you try hard enough

So I'm cool for abit...with my ,,,,40(ish) I/O : HD2 system for under $3k..I mean...why wouldn't I be?..but please note I'm following this thread...so

please take that as a challenge and show me where I've screwed up...ha ha...cause I'd love to learn/know

Greg M 06-11-2011 05:14 AM

Filmusic,

I don't think you have screwed up at all (except for the cheap beer part). You've put together a system that meets your needs and you seem happy with it. Doesn't get any better than that.

But,..... I do think you need to revisit your committment to cheap beer. This is one area where price is not a factor and buying the highest quality, most recently brewed beer enhances your quality of life:-).

Greg

Filmusic 06-11-2011 12:23 PM

ha ha ...now i must state that i've hidden the complete truth from you a tad -as simply because a beer being cheap does not always make it a poor beer, with consideration to quality

case-in-point

i'm in Shanghai, China where i can get a cold 700mil bottle of Tsingtao (from the island of Tsingtao, settled by the Germans a few hundred years back) for around 40cents Cnd at my local cornerstore...yup, you guessed it correctly that calculates to 10 huge cold beers for $4.00 (God I love China!)

(ha ha...now today $4 is about all what a digi 882 is worth on the open market)

long live cheap (German influenced) beer!

all modern teck...may you eventually R.I.P.....worthlessly...forever...

but,

a cold beer...and a 1970's strat...well...may your combined inspiration transcend time...now back to that cold 'cheap' beer,,,,glug!

carlone 06-14-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digimidi (Post 1798887)
Just to clarify, the HD Native card handles the I/O traffic and the host CPU handles the mixing. Having the card handle the I/O traffic does free up the host to allow you to run at lower buffer settings than USB or FW interfaces.

Just to make sure this point doesn't get overlooked.
DIGIMIDI is correct. Some people seem to think that the mixer runs on the HD native card. It doesn't.

I think the confusion sets in because when you're using Low Latency Mode that's the 1 time that the mixer is handled by the Native card. Most don't bother to use LLM - there's typically no need for it.

Barry Johns 06-23-2011 08:50 PM

Used 192's are going for 1200. Don't buy a 96!!!!!!!!

albee1952 06-24-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 1808654)
Used 192's are going for 1200. Don't buy a 96!!!!!!!!

Unless its cheap enough to send to Black Lion for their upgrade, which would likely make it sound better than the 192:rolleyes:

Barry Johns 06-25-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1808831)
Unless its cheap enough to send to Black Lion for their upgrade, which would likely make it sound better than the 192:rolleyes:

They charge 1400 for the mod:eek:

albee1952 06-27-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 1809205)
They charge 1400 for the mod:eek:

True, but I have yet to hear anyone not happy with the result:rolleyes: and it beats $1400 for a used 002 with the BLA mods:p

Filmusic 06-30-2011 12:36 AM

got my 192 digital for $799...tons of quarters left over for cold Chinese beer,,,hey, i think i'll snag one now...phsit!!,,,,glug glug glug...hey...now everything sounds great!...what was that...oh my wife - think I'll crank the monitors up a tad louder....glug glug glug...phist! look there goes another one....and so on...and so on...