Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   USB Mixer/Interface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296539)

joelbpaul 03-10-2011 12:39 PM

USB Mixer/Interface

Will any of the Behringer XENYX mixers function as an interface with PT9? Can each mic input be assigned an individual track with the PT session? I believe the answer is yes to both, but I like to run this by some people that know before I spend the money. I'd rather have more than the two inputs the mbox 2 has.

getz76 03-10-2011 12:45 PM

Re: USB Mixer/Interface

Read.

USB-Ready
While many of our competitors force you to buy a separate card to connect to your computer, we’ve included superb USB connectivity with each and every XENYX 1622FX. No drivers to download, no complicated setup routines, just plug the included UCA200 2-input/2-output USB/Audio Interface into your Windows or Mac computer and start tracking!

joelbpaul 05-17-2011 10:34 AM

Behringer says their USB mixers/Interfaces are compatible, but what does Avid say about Behringer USB mixers? Is there a list of compatible USB mixers that Avid will stand behind?

Bill Denton 05-17-2011 11:00 AM

You know, if you were to do enough research to be able to properly ask the question you would learn enough to make it unnecessary to ask it.

And you have it backwards...

It is not Avid's responsibility to "stand behind" any third-party products. Avid builds their products to comply with certain specific standards. It is the responsibility of the makers of these third-party products to also meet those standards.

Start your education at www.behringer.com. Look up the UCA200. Read everything on the website about that product. Then, if there's something you don't understand, come back and we'll be happy to help.

But you've got to do your part first...

WKG 05-17-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelbpaul (Post 1764076)
Will any of the Behringer XENYX mixers function as an interface with PT9? Can each mic input be assigned an individual track with the PT session? I believe the answer is yes to both, but I like to run this by some people that know before I spend the money. I'd rather have more than the two inputs the mbox 2 has.

The USB 1 interface they give you with that will only give you two inputs and two outputs on the USB at 32-48khz @ 16 bit. The analog ins/outs are unbalanced RCA jacks.

Quote:

While many of our competitors force you to buy a separate card to connect to your computer, we’ve included superb USB connectivity with each and every XENYX 1622FX. No drivers to download, no complicated setup routines, just plug the included UCA200 2-input/2-output USB/Audio Interface into your Windows or Mac computer and start tracking!

Dism 05-17-2011 12:29 PM

The question really comes down to:

Does the Behringer unit use ASIO and/or CoreAudio drivers?

That's the key requirement to using most interfaces with Pro Tools.

Obsidian Dragon 05-17-2011 02:10 PM

The question is why would anyone use Behringer gear for any serious recording project. I've ventured to their products on a few occasions and every time I regretted it. I always wish I didn't buy that cheap crap. Sorry if I offend anyone with these comments but of all the audio companies out there, this one really is on the bottom of the quality scale.

albee1952 05-17-2011 04:21 PM

Well, Behringer has a few decent products, but none of them are what I would call "recording chain" components. I use their HA4700 headphone amp and some friends use their BFC controllers, and their new personal monitor system looks quite nice, but none of that stuff affects recorded audio:rolleyes:. I was also shocked at their new PA speakers which are actually pretty good for club use. They even passed the drop test as they slid off the subs and went about 5-6 feet down to a concrete floor and still worked:D. I'm just saying.......

Bill Denton 05-17-2011 04:39 PM

... this one really is on the bottom of the quality scale.

Your opinion...

I have a basement (studio) full of Behringer gear, and I've never had any problems with any of it.

I have three Behringer mixers, the largest of which is a 2442. Does it have the sound quality of a Neve? Emphatically, NO! But then I paid $250 for the Behringer, not the $250,000 a Neve would have set me back.

Here's the thing...it's called "price of entry".

Behringer allows people to start recording for a couple of hundred bucks. If recording holds their interest, they'll probably invest in better gear as time goes on.

But if the "price of entry" is a thousand bucks or so, quite possibly the next CLA might find another interest.

I don't use my Behringer stuff a lot any more...I've moved on to (at least somewhat) better gear. But had it not been for the Behringer mixer I saw for maybe $80 at Guitar Center when I went in to buy some drumsticks, I probably would not have started recording again.

Behringer gear has its place...maybe not in a multi-million dollar studio...some might argue it's in a trash can...but it allows a lot of people to get started in the hobby/occupation a lot of us really love...

Dirt_ 05-18-2011 01:49 AM

Their older gates work well... Till they got sued by Drawmer for copying their design... Right down the the control configuration... Which wouldve been difficult to change due to the fact that the pcb was an EXACT replica hahaha!! Apparently their first compressor was like that too. Older sound guys have told me there collectible because they actually used better components in their clones just to establish themselves. I've used the cloned gates and they sound identical to the drawmers. But yeah... Aside from a headphone amp I'd say steer clear.

Anyone heard the new Midas stuff? Hehehe