Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   PT10HD Q's - I'm Dated - MP1,1 - Lion - MLion - HDN - Etc (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=323334)

Table Syrup Records 05-30-2012 07:44 AM

PT10HD Q's - I'm Dated - MP1,1 - Lion - MLion - HDN - Etc

Ok, getting caught/set back up after being wiped out in the tornado last year.

The Plan:

Mac Pro 1,1 - Modded to dual 2.66 Quads - so 8x2.66GHz (Mac & Proc's on way)
16GB (Eventually 32) RAM
SSD's for OS and Audio - TRIM Enabled

Gonna run a drive set up for Lion
Gonna also run a second OS drive for Mountain Lion and follow updates till all set up to switch - haven't looked for discussion on PT w/ ML yet....

I'm gonna grab a HD Native card and interface before too long, but will run the HD10 software with a 002R in the meantime.... this is doable right?
(I don't wanna waste the purchase of the native only version when I'm going to grab the HDN card eventually)

I plan to run this machine for maybe even a couple years, then grab a newer MP

Any foreseeable issues I should be aware of?

Thanx ! !

nst7 05-30-2012 07:50 AM

Re: PT10HD Q's - I'm Dated - MP1,1 - Lion - MLion - HDN - Etc

The HD10 software will run fine with the 002. It will be like running PT10 and Complete Toolkit.

Table Syrup Records 05-30-2012 07:52 AM

Thanx.... I also have not seen a crossgrade/upgrade from 8LE to 10HD...

Does it not exist????

I see 8LE to 10, but I'm sure that's not 10HD

Anyone know of anything?

Anyone have a HD10 license for sale ;) ?????
The hunt begins ;)

KMcK 05-30-2012 10:39 AM

HD software only comes with HD hardware, you can't buy the HD license separately.

Unless you buy it on ebay.

But you're also going to end up with a second license for HD whenever you get your HD Native card. I guess you could then sell one of them back on ebay.

Or maybe just stick with Normal PT (LE) until you're ready to purchase the Native card. There may be cross grade options from LE hardware to Native, not sure what Avid is currently offering.

Alécio Costa 05-30-2012 11:08 AM

Mountain Lion? LOL
This is new to me!

Dism 05-30-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty Emcee (Post 1935699)
Mac Pro 1,1 - Modded to dual 2.66 Quads - so 8x2.66GHz (Mac & Proc's on way)
16GB (Eventually 32) RAM
SSD's for OS and Audio - TRIM Enabled

Gonna run a drive set up for Lion
Gonna also run a second OS drive for Mountain Lion and follow updates till all set up to switch - haven't looked for discussion on PT w/ ML yet....

I wouldn't go with the Mac Pro 1,1 for a couple of reasons, but mostly because it is 6 years old already. It's still a decent rig, but as per Moore's Law, modern equivalents are at least 16 times more powerful. If you are intending to use it for a few more years, I doubt you'll be able to do so and keep up with the latest software/hardware.

First off, HDX is not compatible. Now, I realize you didn't mention any interest in HDX, but it is a road sign which signals to me that any subsequent "new" hardware and/or software will not be qualified. This means you may have to upgrade in order to use PT11 if you choose to do so.

It has also been confirmed that Mountain Lion will not be supported on the Mac Pro 1,1. Remember, we're talking about a computer that was built in 2006. I know Mac towers are generally built to last, but I'm just recalling the kerfuffle when Apple and Avid dropped PPC support a couple years back. Typically, you are lucky to still have support for a computer that is 4 or more years old.

Now that the next generation of OSs and applications will be 64 bit only (OSX 10.8 and Windows 8), they will no longer support a 64 bit chipset with a 32 bit EFI (which basically covers all Mac models released before mid 2008 or so). Essentially, you're buying a system that will have zero software support by the end of this year.

If you want my advice... get a Westmere (4,1 early 2009). Still clocks well compared to modern systems (it fathered current chipsets), and because it has a 64 bit EFI, it should still chug on for another couple of years.