Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Splitting/Stretching Midi Notes (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=203883)

jaynyc 08-21-2007 03:51 PM

Splitting/Stretching Midi Notes

This should be simple but I can't figure it out and I tried searching google.. I have Midi Notes I recorded from My keyboard but I would like to edit them in Protools by dividing 1 note into 2..For Example, I have 1 bar in a 4/4 I would like to split it in the middle so theres 1 note up to 2/4 and another note to 4/4 by 2/4..hope that helps .. I would also like to know how to stretch a note.. There is a tool tool to trim down a note (shortcut f6) but is there a way to stretch it and make it longer? For example, I have a note that stops at 3/4..how do i stretch it to 4/4 without changing the beginning position of the note?

Stig Eliassen 08-21-2007 04:21 PM

Re: Splitting/Stretching Midi Notes

Click with the selector tool where you want the split, and hit Ctrl-E (PC) or Command-E (Mac).

Err...I think. Check it out and let us know.

Use the trim tool to trim both start and end of the note(s).

jaynyc 08-21-2007 08:08 PM

the Command E divides it into regions.. i want to seperate the midi note where the selector is in this picture http://tinyurl.com/37fzjo..When I hit Command E the note is still 1 full note but I have new items in the regions list. Also for my other question I wanted to make the note longer instead of trimming it

Stig Eliassen 08-22-2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Also for my other question I wanted to make the note longer instead of trimming it

The trim tool works both ways. You can shorten notes, and you can extend notes with this tool. Can't you make the notes longer?

Command-E didn't work? I'll check at the studio later.

jaynyc 08-22-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Also for my other question I wanted to make the note longer instead of trimming it

The trim tool works both ways. You can shorten notes, and you can extend notes with this tool. Can't you make the notes longer?

Command-E didn't work? I'll check at the studio later.

I see I can expand the notes with that tool didnt notice it before..just gotta find out how to split the notes now.. thanks for your help again PTLover

Stig Eliassen 08-24-2007 02:55 PM

Hmm...I couldn't find a way to split a MIDI note in half. Command-E separates into regions, sorry about that.

So, maybe it can't be done? Any thoughts on the topic?

CapnChem 08-28-2007 10:14 PM

Go to "notes" view, find the appropriate grid value, and draw the two notes instead using the pencil tool.

webby 09-04-2007 01:37 AM

Hey, you could also use the TCE tool on MIDI regions to time compress or expand...

CHRIS AIKEN 12-04-2007 02:53 AM

Hi,

I've been wondering this as well. Is it possible to put the selector tool in the middle of a midi note and seperate it? The same way audio seperates? I know about creating two notes with the pencil tool (my current work around) that's not what I want to do.

I quite often have to seperate a whole multitrack song that contains audio tracks as well as midi...it's a hassle to go and manually seperate and fix all the midi tracks.

Thanks,
Chris

MusicMadness 09-08-2019 05:05 AM

Hi, has anything changed in this topic for last 12 years? I need to split a long MIDI note into several notes together with audio clip but when I made a common edit group and tried to use CMD+E on both tracks simultaneously, only the first MIDI clip contains velocity information and after deleting it remaining MIDI clips are empty. Any ideas?