Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Good news! Slate AAX DSP (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321614)

audioluche 04-23-2012 06:25 PM

Good news! Slate AAX DSP

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-t...tools-hdx.html

see post 19!

This is great news.

Cheers

Luc

Camilo Orozco 04-23-2012 07:08 PM

Re: Good news! Slate AAX DSP

More and more plugins will be added in the near future!!!

roberts 04-29-2012 12:17 PM

I am sure Jan 2013 NAMM there is going to be an AAX plug-in show.
When we upgraded to HD form Mix it tooks a year for the develpoers to get it sorted out as well. At that time Apple went from G4's to G5's as well shortly after HD came out too. So it was a mess for a while and now Apple is throwing Mountain Lion out this summer to add to situation for developers.

WernerF 04-29-2012 09:09 PM

These are different times. It could go either way. Waves is still clearly on the fence. That does not bode well for the likelihood of other folks jumping on the DSP bandwagon. Time will tell. Personally, I'll sit this one out 'till there's more actual info to go on.

ronwasserman 04-30-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WernerF (Post 1926614)
These are different times. It could go either way. Waves is still clearly on the fence. That does not bode well for the likelihood of other folks jumping on the DSP bandwagon. Time will tell. Personally, I'll sit this one out 'till there's more actual info to go on.

I disagree. I believe that because Waves is on the fence or is running so late on aax dsp versions, other developers are burning the candle at both ends to take their market share.

TOM@METRO 04-30-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronwasserman (Post 1926719)
I disagree. I believe that because Waves is on the fence or is running so late on aax dsp versions, other developers are burning the candle at both ends to take their market share.

I agree.

In the end it will cost Waves big time when they are no longer the first choice in pro studios.

WernerF 04-30-2012 01:43 PM

That's another way of looking at it and it could be true. It still makes sense that, as a working pro, you shouldn't have to change your work flow just to accommodate a new HDX system. The new system should enhance your workflow as opposed to hinder it. Waiting to see if that will or will not change still makes more sense to me.

Oblivion777 04-30-2012 02:32 PM

I see and uderstand Werner's point. However there are us, new wave of PT users who are not Waves worshippers and who are fairing well with other 3rd party plugins. And I know of some friends of the industry who have their HD TDM rigs and use McDSP and other plugs who did announce DSP support. Time will tell, but still I am confident that DSP will live on. I see that there are people that have no need of AAX-DSP plugins and that is great. And there are people that need DSP. Period. But I agree that the whole DSP issue is not and cannot be connected to Waves. Except for the Mercury users. But again there are alternatives. :cool:

Emcha_audio 04-30-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivion777 (Post 1926805)
I see and uderstand Werner's point. However there are us, new wave of PT users who are not Waves worshippers and who are fairing well with other 3rd party plugins. And I know of some friends of the industry who have their HD TDM rigs and use McDSP and other plugs who did announce DSP support. Time will tell, but still I am confident that DSP will live on. I see that there are people that have no need of AAX-DSP plugins and that is great. And there are people that need DSP. Period. But I agree that the whole DSP issue is not and cannot be connected to Waves. Except for the Mercury users. But again there are alternatives. :cool:

Well considering that you have digital mixers for live (other than venue) that offers up to 9 DSP cards for internal processing... DSP is no where to be gone yet. Clearly wave is trying to see where the market might be going, or if they will push their own dsp/hardware more than making plugins. But there comes a point where if they want to keep in a market share, they will have no choice but to change. If they do not go aax dsp, they will lose the clients they had over the hd, those that literally spent tens of thousands on tdm plugins which have wups.. and in there could possibly lay the founding for a recourse against wave. But that's an other subject.

In any event throughout the recording era, product came and went, if waves doesn't go dsp, it will just be an other product to go, and people will adjust.

Carl Lie 05-02-2012 04:52 PM

I found suitable replacements for my Waves stuff with Softube and Metric halo and the digi plugs.

I could care less what they do personally, most of their stuff is just spinoffs of their other stuff.

And as far as Slate, maybe I'm the only one but VCC didn't do much for me combined with the fact that the version I bought wasn't functional for months. There was too much hype around his stuff. There is too much lingering brand image around Waves.

Carl