Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Midi is played on time but midi notes are early on play back. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=266853)

steveooo 02-11-2010 05:59 PM

Midi is played on time but midi notes are early on play back.

Im using PT 7.3 on a g5 (power PC).
When im recording the notes sound in time. When I play it back its off. Insert quantize is not on.

I recorded audio of me recording the midi and when you compare the 2 you can see im playing it in time by looking at the audio but the midi is early.

Here is the image, The first track is the snare (this is what I was recording). at the bottom you can see the kick(already recorded and quantized). The middle track is the combined audio.

http://www.ifindcds.com/track.png

BradLyons 02-11-2010 06:32 PM

Re: Midi is played on time but midi notes are early on play back.

Is this for ALL of your MIDI tracks or just that one? Can you look at the MIDI notes as you're recording them to see?

DigiTechSupt 02-11-2010 06:54 PM

Do you have any plug-ins on the Master Fader? Do you have any value in the Global MIDI offset preference?

steveooo 02-12-2010 12:07 PM

Brad, It seems to happen to all midi tracks as im recording them.

Digi, I dont have any plug ins on the master (or any fader) and the Global MIDI offset is 0.

SoloHits 02-27-2010 09:34 PM

Same thing happenning to me.
Any solution for this?
Very very annoying.
Actually... is funny!
2010 and this stuff happenning?

"Do you have any plug-ins on the Master Fader? Do you have any value in the Global MIDI offset preference? Do you have any plug-ins on the Master Fader? Do you have any value in the Global MIDI offset preference? "

Should I?
Brand new IMac and installation.
Shoul I enter a magic number there?

Running Digi 003 Rack in a new IMac 27"....Wasup????

midi sordino 02-28-2010 02:53 AM

Your hardware buffer setting may be too high when recording midi. This means that you need to play notes early to sound on time with the metronome track. Try recording midi with hardware buffer settings of 256 or lower.

XJENSEN 10-15-2019 05:47 AM

Seems still a problem in 2019.6... :mad:

jimax 06-19-2020 06:41 PM

Yep, and still the case in june 2020 :eek:

albee1952 06-20-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midi sordino (Post 1563478)
Your hardware buffer setting may be too high when recording midi. This means that you need to play notes early to sound on time with the metronome track. Try recording midi with hardware buffer settings of 256 or lower.

64 is the largest number I have ever been able to live with while tracking:o Also, open your IO Setup window and look at the INPUT and OUTPUT tabs for a checkbox to "Compensate after a Record Pass"(or something similar to that). If you find that option try it checked and unchecked to see if either option works better.(I remember seeing this option when I had my 003 in my setup, but with my current Presonus Studio 1810C, I don't see it. Not sure if its gone because of PT updates or because I now run a 3rd party interface).

JFreak 06-20-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2570256)
64 is the largest number I have ever been able to live with while tracking

Depends on your interface also, but for me 256@48k is acceptable and 512@48k is unbearable. Many times when I checked fully built TDM mixer latency nubmers they also float somewhere around 350 sample so all that zero latency is nonsense.