Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tap into onboard talkback mic without xmon - control cable pinout? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409188)

Led 03-31-2020 05:54 PM

Tap into onboard talkback mic without xmon - control cable pinout?

Does anyone know the actual pinout of the xmon control cable, as in what travels on what pin? I'm doing some remotes and currently using a talkback brought up an aux track sending to client, but would be handy to use the onboard mic and talkback button if I can. Don't have an xmon, but the onboard talkback mic must travel down one of the pins and ground down another or via the shell. Anyone know the actual route it takes?
thanks,

yours in isolation.

Ryan Young 03-31-2020 10:47 PM

Re: Tap into onboard talkback mic without xmon - control cable pinout?

I remember seeing some sort of midi pinout diagram before but I don't know if it matters how old your control surface is or not. What are you using? Hopefully a D-Command because I would love to know this info also!

Led 04-01-2020 02:49 PM

D Command ES. I've seen the midi pinout, that's for the connector on the xmon to use Eucon from memory. Might be able to wire up a connector from the control port on the D Command and try to find it with a multimeter maybe..got plenty of time on my hands...

Ryan Young 04-15-2020 04:51 PM

Have you have any luck with this? I've been too scared to try (and I don't have a 15 pin cable to break out)

Led 04-15-2020 10:12 PM

Not this far, I need to buy a 15 pin and solder some cable up so I can sit at the front of the D Command with a multi meter. It's on the list of things to do in lockdown soon as i run out of other things. I've just been using an external mic on an aux input for now.

Ryan Young 04-15-2020 11:12 PM

I’m doing the same but I’m now also dealing with my Omni mic pres not adjusting. That’s a story for another post.

I’m going to be buying this and see what I can do (hopefully without breaking something!)
https://www.amazon.com/breakout-Conn.../dp/B07DN9PRT2

Led 04-15-2020 11:43 PM

That's a cool looking thing, shame they don't ship to Australia. Do they have a female instead of male? If they did you could just plug the end of the control cable that normally goes into the xmon socket into it and check the screw terminals in the breakout box with a multimeter. Just have the talkback latched on and talk out loud while looking for a small voltage that fluctuates with your voice, it'd only be tiny, like in the low millivolts... I don't see how something will break if you are just measuring voltage between pins and ground...maybe if you short 2 pins together or short a pin to ground something might have an issue?
Unless you still have your spare main unit and can get to the traces in the meter bridge that the built in talkback is connected to, then just ping them with a continuity setting to the pins on the control socket?

crizdee 04-16-2020 03:20 AM

Hi,

I very much doubt it as there are no hardwire audio connections to the control surface. just data information controlling the xmon

Chris

Led 04-16-2020 04:45 PM

Hi Chris, I believe the onboard talkback mic that is mounted in the meter bridge travels to the xmon via an unbalanced feed in the control cable. It must, otherwise how could it get to the xmon?
Cheers

arche3 04-16-2020 05:54 PM

The tailback pins are on the db15 control cable.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk