Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   INQUIRY: an "I lost my iLok, what can I do?" question with a twist (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=367484)

imperial_ice 04-30-2015 06:12 AM

INQUIRY: an "I lost my iLok, what can I do?" question with a twist

Hello Pro Toolers,

My problem started when i took a flight and misplaced my iLok (among other small objects) to never be found again, I have searched everywhere for a solution to this (yes i checked the 'Lost Stolen or Broken iLok Policy' but it seems i need an Avid Support Code which i had when i bought my PT but it seems it has expired now) and now I'm at a complete loss.

P.S. I think it is important to note that i bought an Education Version of PT because i'm an audio engineering student and i used it in my studies.

now my question is, after filing a Lost iLok RMA and getting a web case number is there a way to get to Avid without an Avid Support Code? if not and I will have to buy a new ASC, which one do i choose? I can see two types of ASCs (here) and i do not own an HD (or an LTE) version of pro tools, so i'm not sure which one is right for me (since this is a requirement in order to get a replacement license)?!

on the other hand, and now that PT12 is announced, does the education version of PT11 (bought on 22/July/2014) come with an upgrade plan for that? if so, will it require me to have my old iLok or i can register the new license to a new iLok without the need to retrieve my old license?

I'm really sorry if my question is too long or has already been answered but i searched everywhere i could with no use.

this is a life and death matter because i have a ton of projects i need to finish or else i will fail...save me!

studiostuff 04-30-2015 07:15 AM

Re: INQUIRY: an "I lost my iLok, what can I do?" question with a twist

You should be able to use someone else's iLok to complete your assignments. Certainly your school should have a lab where you could also work.

Deal with the first problem first; complete your work. Then, deal with your lost iLok.

imperial_ice 04-30-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiostuff (Post 2258144)
You should be able to use someone else's iLok to complete your assignments. Certainly your school should have a lab where you could also work.

Deal with the first problem first; complete your work. Then, deal with your lost iLok.

that does sound like a very good temporary solution, i was panicking and it slipped my mind, thanks a lot for that :D

but i will still have to get my own iLok and the same issue is still there.

TOM@METRO 04-30-2015 10:10 AM

This thread as well as many others over the past years should point out a very important and often overlooked option.

Pace/ilok offers a plan known as "TLC". After a small yearly fee for their "Zero Downtime" plan you can also opt in to "TLC" for no additional charge. This will allow you to retrieve all of your ilok licenses without the typical hassle in the event an ilok is lost or stolen.

Go to the ilok site for details.

https://www.ilok.com/#!faq

Southsidemusic 04-30-2015 10:14 AM

Why have ilok website stop working on ipads :mad:

YYR123 04-30-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imperial_ice (Post 2258156)
but i will still have to get my own iLok and the same issue is still there.

Request a PT Demo, it will help you by some time

They really should make all the EDU licenses and licensees use the TLC and the ZDT by default

TOM@METRO 04-30-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2258195)

They really should make all the EDU licenses and licensees use the TLC and the ZDT by default

I fully agree. Opting out should be a deliberate and informed act.

mesaone 04-30-2015 11:46 AM

Opting in can't be the default because it's an additional, recurring charge.

YYR123 04-30-2015 12:11 PM

Not for TLC, it's free. One of them is anyway

mesaone 04-30-2015 12:22 PM

Oh, if he was saying TLC should be enabled by default when subscribing to ZDT, then I fully agree.