Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   ADAT signal does not show in PT'18 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406307)

golli 09-14-2019 04:03 AM

ADAT signal does not show in PT'18

Hi people.
I have A Universal Audio Apollo 8p & original Apollo (silverface Duo), connected with Thunderbolt 2. Everything is Fine in the UAD GUI, and monitoring is good and everything sounds fine. But on the PT side the signal does not register on the ADAT channels from the UAD silver face (a Midas XL48), toms & Overheads, but they are fine in monitoring.

JFreak 09-14-2019 04:06 AM

Re: ADAT signal does not show in PT'18

Have you double-checked your I/O setup?

golli 09-14-2019 04:18 AM

Hi and thanks for your reply.
Yes I have checked and don't find an issue there, but I have a suspicion that the trouble lies there and I´m just not seeing it. I 'm recording 28 channels using two Midas XL48's, ADAT linked with the UAD's, who are linked together with TB2. The Master clock is the UAD Apollo 8p and an Lucid GenX 192 is the Clock distributor, and the clock signals are all correctly terminated.

But the I/O setup in PT18 is the issue, I presume, but I'm just overlooking it

JFreak 09-14-2019 04:29 AM

Just for troubleshooting, simplify your setup. Ditch everything except Apollo and one Midas, see if it works like that and continue from there.

albee1952 09-14-2019 04:30 PM

It may be a sample rate mismatch or bad clocking. The XL48 needs to be set the same sample rate as the session. How are things clocked? Normally with this hardware, I would feed wordclock FROM the Apollo TO the XL48. Set the XL48 to sync to wordclock and set Pro Tools to use the Apollo's internal clock:o

golli 09-15-2019 11:46 AM

The Apollo 8p is the master clock, feeds to a Lucid GenX 192, the clock distributor sends 3 individual clock signals to the Apollo DUO and the two ADAT devices. All Via 75ohm BNC cables of equal length. All termination signals are correct.

golli 09-15-2019 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How, in the I/O section, do I make lines 31 & 32 optical, like they should be ?

See attachment

JFreak 09-15-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golli (Post 2538151)
How, in the I/O section, do I make lines 31 & 32 optical, like they should be ?

See attachment

In hardware setup.

Darryl Ramm 09-15-2019 12:06 PM

Pro Tools IO cannot tell what is going on. It is a dumb as a rock and just cares about IO numbers. It is likely not the place to be focusing effort. The IO setup is largely cosmetic. Make sure you have the UAD interface set as the playback engine, then delete all IO paths and click the default button, on Input/Output and Bus pages. And just leave whatever is there and use that.

Things still not working:

What sample rate are you running at?

Are you *sure* you have the optical ports set to ADAT not S/PDIF?

As already said simplify the hell out of this and test stuff as you go.

Work with a stupidly simple test session with one audio track.

Get rid of all that clock mess for now and try ADAT into the UAD interface with the ADAT source as a stand alone clock.

What can you get to work? Can you get say a single optical S/PDIF input to work?

JFreak 09-15-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2538155)
Pro Tools IO cannot tell what is going on. It is a dumb as a rock and just cares about IO numbers.

Dumb as hell meaning IO setup converts whatever IO numbers your hardware setup is telling to whatever names you wish to see on mix window.