Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   official apple wireless keyboard with protools keymaps (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405857)

Matt Darcy 08-05-2019 09:32 AM

official apple wireless keyboard with protools keymaps

This is a really specific request, but it's worth asking in my view.

Is there anywhere that sells an official Apple wirless keyboard (grey/black would be preferred) with Pro-tools key caps on board (I've got a wired one from editorskeys.com) but they only appear to sell non-apple official ones and I can't find a grey one as a bonus.

I don't want the plastic overlay keyboard I want the proper keys.

Suggestions ?

musicman691 08-05-2019 11:17 AM

Re: official apple wireless keyboard with protools keymaps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2534637)
This is a really specific request, but it's worth asking in my view.

Is there anywhere that sells an official Apple wirless keyboard (grey/black would be preferred) with Pro-tools key caps on board (I've got a wired one from editorskeys.com) but they only appear to sell non-apple official ones and I can't find a grey one as a bonus.

I don't want the plastic overlay keyboard I want the proper keys.

Suggestions ?

Most of the third party 'customized' keyboards are official Apple keyboards. Companies buy them and change the keytops to suit the application. The Mini we use at home for internet and Photoshop work has the enlarged letter/numeral/etc. on it and when I flip the keyboard over it has the Apple logo molded into the plastic bottom. Note that this is a wired model but I'd imagine the wireless ones are the same. Same keys/keyfeel as the box stock Apple ones and no overlay.

Matt Darcy 08-05-2019 03:14 PM

I can't find a wireless one that is an official apple keyboard - my wired one is an official apple with the keycaps swapped out, but I can't find the official wireless version, checked editorskeys, logickeyboards can't find an official one

musicman691 08-06-2019 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2534677)
I can't find a wireless one that is an official apple keyboard - my wired one is an official apple with the keycaps swapped out, but I can't find the official wireless version, checked editorskeys, logickeyboards can't find an official one

What's so special about having an 'official Apple' keyboard? There's no need really. You're not going to find a third party modified keyboard that says it's an official Apple keyboard because they can't. Like I said they buy Apple keyboards and modify them.

All that being said have you seen this one at editorskeys? https://www.editorskeys.com/collecti...wired-wireless

xrekcor 08-15-2019 03:26 PM

dang!!! would love one of these wireless versions..... petty they're sold out by the looks

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2534721)

All that being said have you seen this one at editorskeys? https://www.editorskeys.com/collecti...wired-wireless

musicman691 08-16-2019 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2535576)
dang!!! would love one of these wireless versions..... petty they're sold out by the looks

Just checked on the site and from the looks of things it's the US English wireless model is sold out BUT the UK/Euro English wireless model is in stock. I wonder what the difference is?

xrekcor 08-16-2019 04:41 AM

Probably has a "warm beer" key and the "Esc" key has changed to "Exit" holding or releasing the "Shift" key is with or without a plan :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2535602)
Just checked on the site and from the looks of things it's the US English wireless model is sold out BUT the UK/Euro English wireless model is in stock. I wonder what the difference is?

Matt Darcy 08-17-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2534721)
What's so special about having an 'official Apple' keyboard? There's no need really. You're not going to find a third party modified keyboard that says it's an official Apple keyboard because they can't. Like I said they buy Apple keyboards and modify them.

I'm looking for an apple one - as in a genuine apple one that has been modified, not a 3rd party make, the editors keys keyboard is not a modified apple keyboard, it is a generic wireless keyboard (no doubt of the quality, I'm typing on an editors keys keyboard now that is an apple wired keyboard that as you have said they modified)

I'm looking for an official apple keyboard that someone has modified with the pro-tools keykaps.

musicman691 08-17-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Darcy (Post 2535686)
I'm looking for an apple one - as in a genuine apple one that has been modified, not a 3rd party make, the editors keys keyboard is not a modified apple keyboard, it is a generic wireless keyboard (no doubt of the quality, I'm typing on an editors keys keyboard now that is an apple wired keyboard that as you have said they modified)

I'm looking for an official apple keyboard that someone has modified with the pro-tools keykaps.

You have failed to answer the question: what's so special about having an 'official' Apple keyboard? How do you know that the Editors Keys wireless one is not an 'official' Apple product? You're not going to be able to buy a PT-centric keyboard from Apple - they don't make them. And you're computer won't care if it's an 'official' Apple keyboard or not. I've used a bunch of non-official Apple keyboards with different Macs and they've all worked no problem. Same for rodents.

Matt Darcy 08-24-2019 01:52 AM

sorry - what's so special about having the apple one.

a.) apple support
b.) the apple quality is actually quite good
c.) I use the official apple keyboard a lot and I'm used to it - the feel and size of it.

I know the editor keyboard is not an apple keyboard because I contacted them and asked them, and they explained they use a different brand for their wireless keyboard, and still have some older models from when they did use the apple keyboard

I know I'm not going to be able to buy it from apple - however in the past companies (such as editor keys) have bought apple keyboards and modified the key caps, this is the ideal solution for me.