Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Can't hear track I'm recording on but can hear all others (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352499)

Durstlaw 03-18-2014 10:23 PM

Can't hear track I'm recording on but can hear all others

I know this is probably a problem solved with one click somewhere, but no one has posted a solution in my searches yet, and others have had the same problem. Saving click Default in the Setup or turn up the Mix was the best offers, and they don't work.

Using MBox Pro and Pro Tools 11, on playback, I can hear the previously recorded tracks, but cannot hear the track I'm recording on. Once recorded, I hear that track's playback fine. Just not when I'm recording.

I've pulled out all the hair I can spare. If anyone's in NYC (UWS) I'd pay to get them here to fix it.

Dusty

c-tone 03-18-2014 11:03 PM

Re: Can't hear track I'm recording on but can hear all others

Saw this recently, and finally solved it by trashing all Pro Tools preferences and restarting everything. Search for, download and install the Pro Tools preference trashing app. Quit PT, Trash Prefs, empty trash, restart PT.

Check out this thread for the helper app

Durstlaw 03-18-2014 11:09 PM

I searched the net and found someone had the problem in Cubase. They have a setting to "Enable Simultaneous Record/Playback".

That's my problem exactly. There must be a setting for that in Pro Tools 11, no?

Trashing preferences may be the best plan. I did default all my Settings in Setup.

SKI 03-19-2014 05:21 AM

It's your Record Input Monitoring mode setting.

Terry Wetzel 03-19-2014 06:00 AM

Durstlaw. I may be butting in here,(I'm on Pro tools 9), but I couldn't help it when I read your post. I've had the exact same problem since changing my Interface to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I've been told that I'm not selecting the proper mode under "Track, Input only monitoring" or "Auto input monitoring" but neither seems to work! I've managed to work around this issue and it appears that those who tried to help me here on the duck seem to feel that it's not really necessary to here the previously recorded track when overdubbing as long as you can here the other tracks! I think musicians have a different view point on this.

SKI 03-19-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel (Post 2142176)
Durstlaw. I may be butting in here,(I'm on Pro tools 9), but I couldn't help it when I read your post. I've had the exact same problem since changing my Interface to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I've been told that I'm not selecting the proper mode under "Track, Input only monitoring" or "Auto input monitoring" but neither seems to work! I've managed to work around this issue and it appears that those who tried to help me here on the duck seem to feel that it's not really necessary to here the previously recorded track when overdubbing as long as you can here the other tracks! I think musicians have a different view point on this.

Not so much a point of view it's about understanding how the two modes work.
The two modes work totally different so if you didn't see a difference between the 2 something else is causing it.

Usually the culprits would be in your routing, use of effects or trying to use LLM.
AVID further complicated things by adding the Control Console to the mBox line which gives you separate mixer control for hardware and software monitoring.

Benny_Cha_Cha 03-19-2014 06:56 AM

Sounds like you input monitoring is incorrectly set. Use opt-k (on a Mac) to toggle this setting.

Durstlaw 03-19-2014 09:21 AM

I want to first thank everyone for trying to help. First, I've toggled the Input Monitoring setting countless times and it makes no difference.

It is essential of course to be able to hear what you are playing through the headphones, along with the playback.

I know its some settiing somewhere but I have gone over every possible setting I can find a thousand times. I've been wrestling with this problem for two weeks now.

Any brainstorming on this you can muster is certainly appreciated. Thanks so much for trying.

SKI 03-19-2014 09:52 AM

I still say your problem is in one of a few places;
-your routing
-LLM is enabled
-The Control Panel if it's an AVID mBox Pro

Any of these will cause your input monitoring to work correctly or make you see no difference when switching between the 2 modes.

Durstlaw 03-19-2014 10:13 AM

I'm sure you're correct. I'm still looking through those settings. I'm still baffled though.

Dusty