Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Encoder problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300176)

Cawbaby 04-30-2011 01:24 PM

Encoder problem

I've got one encoder that's not working on my D-command. I can
nudge a track over and adjust whatever I need but was curious, has anyone
had this problem and are they easy to replace?

PT 9 2X2.26 ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14gb ram

Chris Lambrechts 05-01-2011 02:10 AM

Re: Encoder problem

Hi,

It is the actual encoder right ? not the display or one of the switches ?

Couple of questions :

- does the encoder ring still display a value ?
- The display under the encoder is working fine ?
- The switches for the encoder are working fine ?

Can you run utility tests for :

- touch : does the encoder respond to touch ?
- Leds : do the encoder ring leds come up during the LED tests ?

These encoders are not easy to replace. You will probably have to swap out the entire panel of the bank of 8 it is on. Get in contact with Tech Support and they should be able to advise procedures and possible costs depending the warranty status of your unit.

Chris

Cawbaby 05-01-2011 05:22 PM

Wow, this problem has been happening for maybe 6 months and no sooner than I post it starts working fine. Evidently it's intermittent. All the tests you gave me seem to be working fine as of now. Hopefully it's some kind of software glitch. I'm updating to 9.02 here in a few minutes. Hopefully I won't see it again.
Thx Chris, it's nice having you on the DUC.
-Caw

Cawbaby 05-26-2011 09:53 AM

Hey Chris,
OK, it's reared it's ugly head again. Everything tests out ok except when
I go to Utility-Test-Rotary. When I touch the encoder the red led signifying
auto, under the encoder, does not illuminate like the other encoder-auto leds.
When I turn the encoder to the left or right, the led
comes on and stays on. It's suppose to turn off when I let go of it.
And when I first go into Utility the read-out under the encoder lights up
ever so slightly. You wouldn't even notice this if you weren't looking real close.
I'll contact tech support but if you've had any of these experiences and
have any ideas or cures please let me know.
thx-Craig

BassBuddha 06-06-2011 09:06 PM

Hi Chris,

I seem to be having the same or similar issue with two encoders on my fader module. When in test mode, the auto indicator doesn't illuminate when I just touch the encoders (although the value on the scribble does change). It does illuminate if I turn the encoder. After I turn the encoder, the auto indicator stays illuminated.

The encoder ring seems to work (track) when I turn the knob in test mode, however, it doesn't track as I turn the encoder when I'm not in test mode?

Please advise. Thanks. Mark

BassBuddha 06-07-2011 07:34 AM

My issue appears to be intermittent as well. Is this a software or firmware issue?

Cawbaby 06-07-2011 08:11 AM

Hey Mark, Sorry to hear your problem but it is good to know someone else
is looking for a fix. The work around is obviously nudging the channel over and it is pretty easy to do so I've hesitated to contact support. If I find a fix, I'll for sure post and would appreciate if you did the same.
thx-Craig

BassBuddha 06-07-2011 09:31 AM

Thanks, Caw. What version of PT are you on 9.03? Could it be a software issue given its intermittent nature? Also, do you have any idea of the cost to replace the entire bank of encoders (if it is a hardware problem)? Seems like an extreme measure, huh?

Cawbaby 06-07-2011 10:21 AM

Seems real extreme. I was hoping to just replace the one encoder. I'm on PT 9.02. Maybe it's firmware? Mine was happening in 9.0 and now also in 9.02.
I don't know the cost of replacing or exchanging the bank. It might take a bank.
I can open a session and it will be working fine then close and open the same session and it won't be working.
-Caw

arche3 04-20-2015 06:49 PM

My icon has 1 encoder doing this.... was there ever a fix for this? I can bank but this is on my focus strip.

I suppose it is easily worked around but still annoying.

:(:confused::mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassBuddha (Post 1802563)
Hi Chris,

I seem to be having the same or similar issue with two encoders on my fader module. When in test mode, the auto indicator doesn't illuminate when I just touch the encoders (although the value on the scribble does change). It does illuminate if I turn the encoder. After I turn the encoder, the auto indicator stays illuminated.

The encoder ring seems to work (track) when I turn the knob in test mode, however, it doesn't track as I turn the encoder when I'm not in test mode?

Please advise. Thanks. Mark