Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Problems with 192 inputs? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393770)

Demondrummer 09-17-2017 04:06 AM

Problems with 192 inputs?

Hi, hoping someone can help me out with a query. I’ve just purchased a 192 with 16 audio inputs. I’ve followed the instructions to set it up and all looks fine. However, when I try to record 16 tracks, the first 8 tracks are fine but tracks 9-16 record track 1 on all of tracks 9-16! Am I doing something wrong or is the unit faulty?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Demondrummer 09-17-2017 06:53 AM

Re: Problems with 192 inputs?

I'm running pro tool 8HD on an HD2 system.

Darryl Ramm 09-17-2017 10:15 AM

How do you expect people to guess what is happening? You are going to need to provide a lot more information if you want help.

Saying "I followed instructions" tells us nothing that useful, what instructions?, what exactly have you done, what troubleshooting have you tried.

Does the 192 pass Digitest?
What do you mean by "audio" inputs? You mean *analog*?
Did you default IO in Pro Tools.
Did you ever see or know that the interface work properly before you brought it?
Have you added or removed IO cards?
What IO cards are installed in it in what slots?
Screenshot of the 192 hardware setup pages
Screenshot of the Setup>IO>Input page

Make sure the expansion cards follow the slot usage rules in the 192 IO Guide. Get the interface by itself on a single Digilink connection, with a known good Digilink cable, run Digitest, if that passes create a new empty session, default the IO. Does that work? If you see the same behavior try swapping A/D IO cards to see if the problem follows the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demondrummer 09-17-2017 10:35 AM

Hi Darryl, thanks for the reply. I'm fairly new to this so please forgive me. I'm running pro tools HD 8 on an Intel Mac, HD2 system on two PCIe cards. I already have a 192 with 8 analogue ins and 16 analogue outs and it works fine. I wanted to increase my analogue inputs to 24 so bought a second 192, not test by me before buying. Seller said it works fine. I don't have BNC cables at present so unhooked by 192 and connected the new on. On the setup screen configured the 192 to have 16 analogue ins and 8 outs. The analogue outputs are fine and the first analogue inputs are fine, but the second lot of analogue inputs (9-16) are all recording the track 1 from 1-8. I've never run a digi test so will find out how to do that and see what is says.

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place. I did try to find the right place to post it - being new, it's a bit daunting. Thanks for your help and advice.

Darryl Ramm 09-17-2017 10:51 AM

Do all the things I suggested, including posting screenshots.

Again did you default IO in Pro Tools?

Demondrummer 09-17-2017 10:59 AM

Hi Darryl, I've just run the digitest and everything passed.

Demondrummer 09-17-2017 11:23 AM

Hi Darryl, yes I did the default IO in Pro Tools. The problem is still there. I can't do screen shots from my Mac - internet signal isn't good enough, sorry.

Demondrummer 09-17-2017 11:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Darryl, I've taken some photos of the setup - hope this helps, thanks.

Attachment 9116

Attachment 9117

Attachment 9118

Attachment 9119

Darryl Ramm 09-17-2017 01:21 PM

I can barely make out those photos. But they seem OK, and Digitest passes so keep going.

You really need to work how to use Grab (Mac utility) to take screenshots.

All those other questions and suggestions, just plow through them.

Because you own another 192 IO chassis, in the worse case of it being a hardware issue you can swap stuff around and diagnose chassis or IO card problems.

Darryl Ramm 09-19-2017 02:26 PM

So to summarize were things are vs. questions/suggestions made already.

Does the 192 pass Digitest? YES
What do you mean by "audio" inputs? You mean *analog*? YES
Did you default IO in Pro Tools. YES. Can you include screenshots of the IO pages (you only sent photos of the Hardware setup pages)
Did you ever see or know that the 192 worked properly before you brought it? ???
Have you added or removed IO cards? ???
What IO cards are installed in it in what slots? ????(send photo of back panel if you are not sure)
Screenshot of the 192 hardware setup pages Photos sent. seem to be OK. It is recognizing both analog cards (which makes me suspect they are in the right slots, but it would be good to *know* they are)
Screenshot of the Pro Tools Setup>IO>Input page ?????
Are the expansion cards installed in the correct slots? (the 192 User Guide) ????

And if things are still not working then its likely a hardware issue so... swap the A/D cards within the chassis, and across your old 192 chassis. Does the problem follow the second 192 A/D card in your new 192?

Photos of the screen you sent really don't work. Take screenshots with grab on your Mac, transfer them to the phone to post here if you need to. We need to be able to read the text on the screen.