Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Are we not due an update??!! (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406098)

foxes 08-27-2019 05:05 AM

Are we not due an update??!!

Are we not due an update in August? 19.6 did not really count as that was really a few bug fixes and if Avid think it did, then we are due one in a couple of weeks in September.

JFreak 08-27-2019 08:37 AM

Re: Are we not due an update??!!

What it is in your setup that is so broken you are in a need of an update?

Sure, updates come every now and then but if your system isn't broken then break it and shout louder :D

amagras 08-27-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536420)

Sure, updates come every now and then but if your system isn't broken then break it and shout louder :D

The money he already paid?

JFreak 08-27-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2536421)
The money he already paid?

Wat? If you have paid X amount of money and have 0 problems, what it is to be fixed? Just sayin' updates for the sake of updates is nonsense.

foxes 08-27-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536420)

1. amagras' answer
2. ARA
3. Fix sample rounding issue with midi (yes it not just audio)
4. Update midi functionality maybe some midi fx - the midi is competent but it is 'clunky'

matthewmkb 08-27-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxes (Post 2536427)
1. amagras' answer
2. ARA
3. Fix sample rounding issue with midi (yes it not just audio)
4. Update midi functionality maybe some midi fx - the midi is competent but it is 'clunky'

Exactly. Midi sample rounding bug has been there since pt12, heard from people going back to 11 for reliable midi work at all tempos. I reported it to Avid, exchanged several emails with a session and video clips. They were supposed to report it to their programming team and get back to me. Guess what. They never got back to me. It was over 2 months ago. The fix isn't happening. If it was easy to fix, they would've fixed it already in 2019, or even 2018.

musicman691 08-27-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmkb (Post 2536432)
Exactly. Midi sample rounding bug has been there since pt12, heard from people going back to 11 for reliable midi work at all tempos. I reported it to Avid, exchanged several emails with a session and video clips. They were supposed to report it to their programming team and get back to me. Guess what. They never got back to me. It was over 2 months ago. The fix isn't happening. If it was easy to fix, they would've fixed it already in 2019, or even 2018.

Can't say that I've seen what you're talking about wrt MIDI sample rounding but then again I don't work in MIDI clips (yeah I went back and read through the 8 page thread you and a couple of others posted to). I just make my timeline selections and move things about as I need to - quick & painless AND I don't have to worry about missing notes.

As far as updates and not bug fixes - ARA doesn't do anything for me. What I'd like to see built into PT is Ircam time/stretch. I know it can be done in UVI Falcon but how about it as just a separate plugin? That way I don't have the cpu overhead that would be wasted working inside Falcon.

MIDI fx? Meh. If I can't play it in correctly I just have to keep trying and not rely on a program routine to do the job for me. Sequences & arpeggios? I play 'em in manually thank you very much. Then copy/paste as necessary. I like the human element when it's done that way. Drums being one of my instruments helps a great deal with timing.

DetroitT 08-27-2019 11:40 AM

ARA could be nice.
Melodyne at 96khz is almost too slow to use
Video engine / quicktime / Multi (beyond 2) display recall
All have some issue.

All in all 19.6 is pretty solid

amagras 08-27-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536425)
Wat? If you have paid X amount of money and have 0 problems, what it is to be fixed? Just sayin' updates for the sake of updates is nonsense.

We are not just buying, we are paying a subscription over a perpetual license we already paid for! Why would people do that if it wasn't to get new features and updates on a regular basis? That's what we were promised and so far Avid has fallen short in more than a one occasion, put on top that they doubled the price way after the deal was sealed.

foxes 08-27-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2536442)
Can't say that I've seen what you're talking about wrt MIDI sample rounding but then again I don't work in MIDI clips (yeah I went back and read through the 8 page thread you and a couple of others posted to). I just make my timeline selections and move things about as I need to - quick & painless AND I don't have to worry about missing notes.

As far as updates and not bug fixes - ARA doesn't do anything for me. What I'd like to see built into PT is Ircam time/stretch. I know it can be done in UVI Falcon but how about it as just a separate plugin? That way I don't have the cpu overhead that would be wasted working inside Falcon.

MIDI fx? Meh. If I can't play it in correctly I just have to keep trying and not rely on a program routine to do the job for me. Sequences & arpeggios? I play 'em in manually thank you very much. Then copy/paste as necessary. I like the human element when it's done that way. Drums being one of my instruments helps a great deal with timing.

How we all create music is different & personal to the creator particularly depending on what style & type of music we each create, so the midi sample rounding bug is a real issue for many.

I play more than one instrument, but modern forms of music have evolved, some even have been born because of technology (DnB, Dubstep....). We use fx, plugins (audio & midi) & computers creatively in ways many either don't try, can't be bothered, cannot do or are not interested in, so we can experiment and push creativity in new & fresh ways. Music, particularly in this modern age is expressed more widely with those who were born before & those who were born in an age with the use of computers in music......there are rules but there aren't any rules in creative expression.

foxes 08-27-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2536451)
We are not just buying, we are paying a subscription over a perpetual license we already paid for! Why would people do that if it wasn't to get new features and updates on a regular basis? That's what we were promised and so far Avid has fallen short in more than a one occasion, put on top that they doubled the price way after the deal was sealed.

+1000

coolbass 08-27-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536425)

Paying money without updates for the sake of paying money is nonsense.

jasonkalman 08-27-2019 06:15 PM

Yes we are due an update. HDX voices? CPU improvements for VIs. Anyone able to use the 1000 midi tracks Avid gave us in the May update (insert sarcasm)? OS compatibility. How about getting rid of the subscription plan. That would be the best update. I never had an issue buying the latest version of PTs when they actually gave us a reason to upgrade. I feel like we are just paying for Avid to develop OS compatibility with a smattering of minor enhancements about 2x per year.

foxes 08-27-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmkb (Post 2536432)

You are so true, been a bug in PT for years definitely with audio before v12. That did not surprise me with Avid, I agree with you that more than likely itís not going to be fixed since it has been in PT for so many years & has got worse with some of the more recent updates. :mad:

foxes 08-28-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbass (Post 2536478)
Paying money without updates for the sake of paying money is nonsense.

+1000

gnjlee 08-28-2019 11:46 AM

You didn't actually expect them to PROVIDE anything after doubling prices did you? (More than tripled after two years if you go from vanilla to sub. Yes AVID, I have a calculator and am able to forecast cost beyond the current FY) Subscriptions are about stabilizing revenue streams for corporations, not about delivering anything to customers.:(

foxes 08-28-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonkalman (Post 2536483)
Yes we are due an update. HDX voices? CPU improvements for VIs. Anyone able to use the 1000 midi tracks Avid gave us in the May update (insert sarcasm)? OS compatibility. How about getting rid of the subscription plan. That would be the best update. I never had an issue buying the latest version of PTs when they actually gave us a reason to upgrade. I feel like we are just paying for Avid to develop OS compatibility with a smattering of minor enhancements about 2x per year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnjlee (Post 2536549)
You didn't actually expect them to PROVIDE anything after doubling prices did you? (More than tripled after two years if you go from vanilla to sub. Yes AVID, I have a calculator and am able to forecast cost beyond the current FY) Subscriptions are about stabilizing revenue streams for corporations, not about delivering anything to customers.:(

Spot on guys!

Brettster 08-28-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2536442)

who cares how you personally do it

Bob L 08-28-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnjlee (Post 2536549)
subscriptions are about stabilizing revenue streams for corporations, not about delivering anything to customers.:(

Bingo!

DetroitT 08-29-2019 04:34 PM

Let us rephrase this.
Are we not due some new features / improvments

Stephen Bond 08-29-2019 05:37 PM

An update is long overdue.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

Stephen

Prabha 08-29-2019 06:05 PM

We deserved an update long ago. Avid is charging us twice the price and there are still many things broken... without counting the many features oher daws have that we don't

Sam C 08-29-2019 06:17 PM

If we were not paying an annual fee I would not care. Logic, Reaper, DP and most other DAW's do not do this crap. Obviously, Avid is making themselves clear...and I am not happy about it!

foxes 08-30-2019 08:56 AM

An update is got to be due this month, thatís what weíre paying for! Avid are taking the pee, they are pushing many including myself to another DAW completely.

JFreak 08-30-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxes (Post 2536716)
An update is got to be due this month, thatís what weíre paying for!

Says who?

AFAIK, they have been trying to release what became 2019.5 two times before; initially as 2019.1 then 2019.3 but due to HDX problems postponed to 2019.5 and then fixed in 2019.6 so as far as I read this they are still trying to resolve the voice update issue with HDX cards and once it's done they release the next one.

They have three options here:
a) release the HDX voice update once they know cards will be okay after the update
b) release the HDX voice update and accept certain number of cards will have to be replaced
c) abandon the HDX voice update altogether

I bet it isn't an easy task to figure why some cards fail with the update and most work okay. But that I can say anyone using HDX card(s) has been waiting for this and this alone, so don't be very disappointed if your favourite missing feature is not included in the next release.

2019.5 was huge for all non-HDX users, maybe it is time HDX users get their update next?

jscomposer 08-30-2019 05:01 PM

Mod key for TCE trimming (like 'command' does for slip to grid trimming)

MIDI smart tool cursor we can actually SEE (without using some finder thingy or blowing it up)

xrekcor 08-30-2019 05:07 PM

LOL this old chestnut again........ yawwwwwn..... got ready for the whingestream :rolleyes:

xrekcor 08-30-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxes (Post 2536412)
Are we not due an update in August? 19.6 did not really count as that was really a few bug fixes and if Avid think it did, then we are due one in a couple of weeks in September.

I think 2019.6 was more to do with allowing PT vanilla access to HEAT.

foxes 09-02-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536720)
Says who?

AFAIK, they have been trying to release what became 2019.5 two times before; initially as 2019.1 then 2019.3 but due to HDX problems postponed to 2019.5 and then fixed in 2019.6 so as far as I read this they are still trying to resolve the voice update issue with HDX cards and once it's done they release the next one.

They have three options here:
a) release the HDX voice update once they know cards will be okay after the update
b) release the HDX voice update and accept certain number of cards will have to be replaced
c) abandon the HDX voice update altogether

I bet it isn't an easy task to figure why some cards fail with the update and most work okay. But that I can say anyone using HDX card(s) has been waiting for this and this alone, so don't be very disappointed if your favourite missing feature is not included in the next release.

2019.5 was huge for all non-HDX users, maybe it is time HDX users get their update next?

Says me & many others (HDX & non HDX users)

I & many others pay a yearly fee (which just doubled!) after buying my perpetual licence with the understanding & false promise from Avid that we would get regular updates & features - that was a lie! The updates ARE NOT regular & are mainly bug fixes with the odd late (compared to the competition) features.

I have every right to expect what was promised & what I pay for!

foxes 09-02-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2536783)
I think 2019.6 was more to do with allowing PT vanilla access to HEAT.

1. Do not need or want HEAT (I have many other plugins that do what HEAT does)

2. It is only available to subscribers not renewal plans.

3. We bought perpetual licence and pay a yearly renewal fee (which just doubled!) with the understanding & false promise from Avid that we would get regular updates & features......that is not being fulfilled.

JFreak 09-02-2019 07:54 AM

I am not getting into policies but surely everyone understands they need to sort out that HDX thing first; even though they are working with many other things at the same time, the big buzz about next version will likely be HDX voice upgrade.

Sam C 09-02-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536953)
I am not getting into policies but surely everyone understands they need to sort out that HDX thing first; even though they are working with many other things at the same time, the big buzz about next version will likely be HDX voice upgrade.

Honestly your unwillingness to understand why most of feel we are being ripped off is frustrating. So if your not going to get into policies maybe stop defending?

moogboy100 09-02-2019 11:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Honestly, I think we are very due for an update... if only to make Pro Tools 64-bit ready for Catalina (because it's not)!!!!!

Pro Tools app is full of 32-bit Quicktime components still. And Avid Link has 32-bit components inside it as well.

JFreak 09-02-2019 11:33 AM

Not defending. IMO Avid should have made their mind regarding this HDX voice thing half a year ago. I'm just waiting what happens, nothing more. If they cannot make a release that works with all cards and they spend a whole year doing just that, they fail in so many ways it would have been far lesser defeat to just accept some pct of cards come back because of the firmware update.

toolz 09-02-2019 04:47 PM

HDX voices is paramount, otherwise, it's just been a year of bug fixes for our subscription, which is weak.

Sardi 09-02-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536975)
Not defending. IMO Avid should have made their mind regarding this HDX voice thing half a year ago. I'm just waiting what happens, nothing more. If they cannot make a release that works with all cards and they spend a whole year doing just that, they fail in so many ways it would have been far lesser defeat to just accept some pct of cards come back because of the firmware update.

Then they should realise they screwed up and perhaps give everyone an extra year or 6 months extra on their plans.

It is extremely tiring seeing defense for a company that quite frankly, is taking the mickey with these plans that we have to pay for in advance with the promise of feature updates.

If they canít deliver, then thatís on them. I canít take an extra fortnight to complete a job because Iím encountering difficulties and then bill my client for the extra work. Why should they?

Iím sorry, but it doesnít work that way. They get away with it because of the reinstatement fee that no one wants to pay, thus they keep you hooked. Eventually, this wonít be enough and they will lose customers... perhaps in droves. At that point, itís too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYR123 09-02-2019 09:59 PM

If only avid would not have to chase apples tail all the time they might have the ability to actually have forward thinking designs instead of trailing all the time, chasing the latest Apple update

Sardi 09-02-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2537006)
If only avid would not have to chase apples tail all the time they might have the ability to actually have forward thinking designs instead of trailing all the time, chasing the latest Apple update

Iím sorry, but that really isnít the case at all. No other developer has the issues that AVID have with OS updates.

Yes, itís is extremely old code base but honestly, thereís apps out there that are getting on to 10-15 years of existence and they do not have these issues. Appleís Mac OS has dramatically changed in that time and yet these developers donít have anywhere near the issues, if any, that AVID has with Pro Tools.

Iíve said this so many times, but they needed to rewrite the app from the core a long time ago. If it meant having concurrent teams with one rewriting and one updating/maintaining the current version, so be it. This is the cost of being in business.

At the end of the day, this is a large organisation, not a mom and pop one man operation.

Iíve used this software for almost 25 years now. Do I want to switch? No. But enough with the excuses. This is solely an AVID issue and they need to address it.

Iím curious. Not being a video guy, does Media Composer suffer the same issues Pro Tools does?

foxes 09-03-2019 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2536994)
Then they should realise they screwed up and perhaps give everyone an extra year or 6 months extra on their plans.

It is extremely tiring seeing defense for a company that quite frankly, is taking the mickey with these plans that we have to pay for in advance with the promise of feature updates.

If they canít deliver, then thatís on them. I canít take an extra fortnight to complete a job because Iím encountering difficulties and then bill my client for the extra work. Why should they?

Iím sorry, but it doesnít work that way. They get away with it because of the reinstatement fee that no one wants to pay, thus they keep you hooked. Eventually, this wonít be enough and they will lose customers... perhaps in droves. At that point, itís too late.

+1000

QuikDraw 09-03-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxes (Post 2536716)
An update is got to be due this month, thatís what weíre paying for! Avid are taking the pee, they are pushing many including myself to another DAW completely.

When they doubled the price, I updated for 2 more years at the original price, and I started using Studio One for all new work. No problems, no crashes, I've mostly gotten used to the S1 workflow. Then I had to go back to PT for an older project. Latency was a bit high, so I switched my sample buffer. Crash!

I don't work with other studios, so PT compatibility is not important to me. I think I'm pretty much done with Pro Tools. Paying for updates that bring nothing new, and dealing with crashes, not to mention the high CPU load that I don't get in S1. Pro Tools just makes no sense for me any more.