Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Are we not due an update??!! (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406098)

JFreak 09-11-2019 05:43 AM

Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldStudios (Post 2537719)
What if the new MacPro only works with Catalina? Then audio pros will have to wait for a long time until they can use it, I guess.

It's not any what if, it is already 99.999% certain

JFreak 09-11-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2537720)
I understand that but what I am getting at is why didn't Datacolor mention Apple? It's the same for the notice we're getting from NI about not upgrading to Catalina and they DO mention Apple by name. As have a couple of other non-music s/w developers I buy from.

Oh okay.. strange if they mention Catalina but not Apple.. everyone knows who we are talking about anyway. Maybe their lawyers have told not to?

cmbourget 09-11-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536420)
What it is in your setup that is so broken you are in a need of an update?

Sure, updates come every now and then but if your system isn't broken then break it and shout louder :D

Incredible comment. Did I read correctly? AVID established this commercial policy. "You pay every year from now on, but it's for development, new functions, new efficiency, etc."

And now, we would be guilty of asking for our part of the contract?

I no longer use Pro Tools, which is now the last wagon of the train (except in its hardware integration: it is a software that should be free to purchase the Avid hardware, basically, because it is its first function ...) But I look a little what happens, out of curiosity.And that does not change ...

JFreak 09-11-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbourget (Post 2537738)
Incredible comment. Did I read correctly?

Yes you did. It was written when having one too many. My posts are incredible if that happens. If it is too often please PM me :cool:

cmbourget 09-11-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2536720)
Says who?

2019.5 was huge for all non-HDX users...

Huge !? In what ? Nothing important in 2019 for me.

cmbourget 09-11-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2537739)
Yes you did. It was written when having one too many. My posts are incredible if that happens. If it is too often please PM me :cool:

After a little humor, I would prefer a serious answer on the subject (which is not funny).

jscomposer 09-11-2019 11:21 AM

I parked and gave my money to Reaper instead. But I think we're due an update. :D "We'll give you the opportunity to spend $200 on a 10yr old plugin that can only be used on audio tracks" doesn't move me. My own humble suggestions:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405925
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406074

My luck, they'll release an update with these 2 improvements the day after my plan expires. :rolleyes:

JFreak 09-11-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbourget (Post 2537740)
Huge !? In what ? Nothing important in 2019 for me.

You don't use Mojave? Many share the opinion that stability of 2019.5 is best ever Avid-branded PT

massivekerry 09-11-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2537697)
You wish they wouldn't focus on two things too much yet those two things are the ones you will benefit the most.. :cool:

Nope. I will probably never need those Voice Packs. I haven't in 25 years of using Pro Tools... and Catalina likely won't run on my existing CheeseGrater, teeing me up for a helluva upgrade expense that I'm not prepared for.

In the meantime, I've had to continually edit my (non-quantized, but well-performed - as evidenced when I track the audio in conjunction) MIDI since they screwed up the timing in 2018, and anytime I copy-paste (via Relative Grid) MIDI that has any data at or near the edit point, I end up cursing as I can't easily fix or get rid of that note/CC. THAT fix would benefit me tremendously.

JFreak 09-11-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbourget (Post 2537743)
After a little humor, I would prefer a serious answer on the subject (which is not funny).

Seriously, we all know Avid has dropped the ball this year not being able to deliver their Voice Upgrade in 2019.1 when it was originally planned to be out. It needed to be postponed to 2019.3 and just before release they realised too big a percentage of HDX cards would fail the firmware update for some reason, so it got postponed again and released as 2019.5 without HDX firmware update.

Not defending, just making the point that Avid is half a year behind schedule due to this HDX Voice Upgrade fiasco, and they need to get it done before they need to start working on Catalina compatibility.

So likely all we see this year is HDX Voice Upgrade release and a late december bugfix release. Just being realistic here. Catalina support most likely not this year.