Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Why doesn't ProTools have its own built-in sample player? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405642)

midnightrambler 07-16-2019 03:12 AM

Why doesn't ProTools have its own built-in sample player?

Yeah yeah I know all music is effectively "samples" now, but seriously - why can I not just throw a sample into a player and play it on a keyboard, without using 3rd party software? Seems such a basic requirement for a DAW.

Sardi 07-16-2019 05:12 AM

Re: Why doesn't ProTools have its own built-in sample player?

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2532863)
Yeah yeah I know all music is effectively "samples" now, but seriously - why can I not just throw a sample into a player and play it on a keyboard, without using 3rd party software? Seems such a basic requirement for a DAW.

It does and you can.

It’s called Structure and a basic free version is included with Pro Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnightrambler 07-16-2019 05:24 AM

I thought it was 3rd party? https://www.airmusictech.com/product...2#.XS2_ci2ZN24

Either way it's dreadful. I can't see an easy way of, say, throwing a home made kick drum sample in there. You can't just drag it in from the edit page, presumably because that would be way too easy for the user. So you have to navigate the file management screen, which is just awful, way too small and can't be resized. I'd hate to have to try and build my own multi-layered instrument on it, put it like that.

Sardi 07-16-2019 05:42 AM

It’s been a part of Pro Tools for a long time. AVID used to own AIR. Structure was only available in PT originally until they sold the company.

The free included version can do what you want it to. Wether you like the plugin is a different question.

FYI - you can’t drag and drop from the timeline with any 3rd party sampler. Ironically, you actually could do it wth Structure back when it was RTAS. When they made the move to AAX, it lost that functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capt kirk 07-16-2019 01:23 PM

and THAT, MY FRIENDS, is EXACTLY WHY i stay with PT10, with structure.
As a severe caffinated deadline looming sound designer, I NEED to have that. why these people decided to get rid of that functionality is BEYOND me......and dont get me started on the unsizable AIR structure window......PLEEEEASE AIR, if you can hear me, put me in charge, ill fix it in 4 days.....no 3.....

i can just grab something and bend the crap out of it, layer it quick etc etc....

BScout 07-16-2019 02:01 PM

After Avid sold off the AIR group (which was originally Wizoo), many of the developers of those plugins left to go to other companies (or start their own.) That includes the main forces behind Structure -- which is why that sits stagnate.

DetroitT 07-16-2019 02:17 PM

UVI Workstation is free
Drag n drop in from outside app works

Copy and paste into plugin would be nice.

Top Jimmy 07-16-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt kirk (Post 2532910)
why these people decided to get rid of that functionality is BEYOND me......

The fact that it worked in RTAS was not by design. AIR was able to kludge it together exploiting an API loophole allowing drag n drop from the timeline to Structure in a way that wasn’t intended. When the API for AAX was created, there was no more loophole to exploit, hence the loss of drag n drop from the timeline.

mandal 07-17-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2532919)
UVI Workstation is free
Drag n drop in from outside app works

Copy and paste into plugin would be nice.

Can I also use Falcon ?

DetroitT 07-17-2019 06:50 AM

Give it a go and please let us know!