Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PT8 CPU Usage (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=236239)

Larry Younkins 01-11-2009 08:38 AM

PT8 CPU Usage

I upgraded from PT7.3 to PT8 and see a very large jump in CPU usage. One session recorded in PT7.3 that consumed 40% of the CPU now requires >70%. Some previously recorded sessions simply won't play due to excessive CPU usage. I did a clean install of Windows hoping that would help matters but to no avail. I also noticed that after creating a new session PT8 consumes roughly 50% of the CPU at idle even when no tracks exist. Can someone confirm these observations?
My hardware/software is:
ASUS A8V | Athlon 64 x2 4400 | 2G RAM | 002R | Windows XP SP2 | PT 8

rhythmtechnologies 01-11-2009 09:45 AM

Re: PT8 CPU Usage

no problems like that here. i actually noticed a 5% drop in cpu on PT8 LE sessions compared to PT7 M-powered.

have you checked how your processing is distributed to your 2 cpu's?

erthquake 01-11-2009 09:56 AM

Do you have elastic audio enabled? That would explain the discrepancies when you're idle. Otherwise, do you have many instances of Dverb? The Dverb in PT8 eats more cpu than the version that was in 7.4 and earlier.

SteveFireland 01-11-2009 10:11 AM

Hi Larry,

Does your CPU usage vary depending on the size of your edit/mix windows? If I minimise my edit/mix windows, my machine runs fine - maximise them, even on an empty session, and the CPU jumps way up and the mouse becomes jerky, meters lag behind, etc =/

Cheers,
Steve.

Larry Younkins 01-11-2009 10:14 AM

The box labeled Enable Elastic Audio on New Tracks is unchecked in Preferences/Processing. Is that what you're referring to?
The session I described was recorded in PT7.3 and has the following VIs and plugins: Fxpansion BFD, WAVES IR-L (2 instances) and GTR2, NI Akoustik piano. I don't use Dverb. The load seems to be roughly balanced between the 2 cores and the CPU usage number is what Windows reports. The PT8 usage meter reads around 30% for CPU (RTAS) and 0% for CPU (Elastic) while Windows Task Manager reads >70%.

Larry Younkins 01-11-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Does your CPU usage vary depending on the size of your edit/mix windows?
Yes, I just discovered that minimizing the edit and mix windows drops the CPU usage dramatically. Is there a way to minimize the graphics CPU loading but keep both edit/mix windows up?

Larry Younkins 01-11-2009 10:56 AM

The graphics card I'm using is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (AGP). I've tried both the Windows generic driver and the NVIDIA driver with comparable results. Would a new graphics card help? Recommendations?

Shan 01-11-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Younkins (Post 1333448)
I upgraded from PT7.3 to PT8 and see a very large jump in CPU usage. One session recorded in PT7.3 that consumed 40% of the CPU now requires >70%. Some previously recorded sessions simply won't play due to excessive CPU usage. I did a clean install of Windows hoping that would help matters but to no avail. I also noticed that after creating a new session PT8 consumes roughly 50% of the CPU at idle even when no tracks exist. Can someone confirm these observations?
My hardware/software is:
ASUS A8V | Athlon 64 x2 4400 | 2G RAM | 002R | Windows XP SP2 | PT 8

More info here.

Shane

Larry Younkins 01-11-2009 12:38 PM

Hi Shane,
I read through the performance thread. I'm not using any Dverbs so much of the discussion was of little use. What I'm observing seems to be a graphics related. If I start a new (blank) session with no tracks and the mix/edit windows are maximized the CPU usage is around 50%. When both windows are minimized the CPU usage drops to nothing. I have observed that over time, however, even with the mix/edit windows minimized that the CPU usage will again spike up to around 50%. Thanks for all help!
Larry

louielou 01-11-2009 01:30 PM

Max out your memory to be on the safe side. Im sure that the new PT will take up more GUI and Graphical memory then 7.4.