Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HDX Latency (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352076)

PhilSchroeder 03-09-2014 09:44 AM

HDX Latency

Now there's two words that shouldn't appear together...

Anyone else experiencing latency issues when monitoring in record mode? I'm finding them once the track counts get up past 16, or the voice counts pass 25. This is HDX (one card), Avid HD, DigiPRE, and nothing else that's particularly special. You can see my specs below.

It seems to be triggered by HDX-able plugs, for example the Softube Grand Channel. It's a pretty annoying little delay, probably 3 or 4 frames. (Not sure what the ms correlation would be.)

I never had any kind of problem like this with TDM. Seems very strange, and I'm not so happy about it, either!

Drew Mazurek 03-09-2014 09:52 AM

Re: HDX Latency

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2139119)
Now there's two words that shouldn't appear together...

Anyone else experiencing latency issues when monitoring in record mode? I'm finding them once the track counts get up past 16, or the voice counts pass 25. This is HDX (one card), Avid HD, DigiPRE, and nothing else that's particularly special. You can see my specs below.

It seems to be triggered by HDX-able plugs, for example the Softube Grand Channel. It's a pretty annoying little delay, probably 3 or 4 frames. (Not sure what the ms correlation would be.)

I never had any kind of problem like this with TDM. Seems very strange, and I'm not so happy about it, either!

You're positive there are no native plugs in the session, on auxes, or master faders?

Have you done any "double assigning"? (holding down control while clicking to assign an output to 2 places)

PhilSchroeder 03-09-2014 10:33 AM

Nope. Setup couldn't be more straight ahead. Now 30 minutes down the road, I'm tracking BGVox on some existing tracks with no plugs, and the latency is back. Once I recycle the record switch on the track, it goes away until I start playing again. It doesn't appear to be recording late (I clapped to check that) but the monitoring is really annoying. Working alone today to suss this out, have singers in on Tuesday. :eek:

PhilSchroeder 03-09-2014 10:34 AM

Wait, hold on. Yes there are Native plugs in the session. Not on the tracks in question but in the session. Why should that matter? It's supposed to run both, right?

Drew Mazurek 03-09-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2139130)
Wait, hold on. Yes there are Native plugs in the session. Not on the tracks in question but in the session. Why should that matter? It's supposed to run both, right?

Yes, but if they're on Aux or Master Faders, they cause the whole thing to be delayed.

Hanswurstlsepp 03-09-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2139171)
Yes, but if they're on Aux or Master Faders, they cause the whole thing to be delayed.

Exactly !

Beside that, I'm running into a "situation" once a while where the "talent" is telling me "something's wrong - there's a delay".
My workaround for that is to disable ADC and enable it again.
Helps in about 70% of all cases.
If it won't help, save session, close session and reload.
...and if that won't help, quit PT completely and restart it.

Awesome:o

PhilSchroeder 03-10-2014 09:19 AM

Drew, maybe you know something I don't, but are you saying that a native plug in on an Aux track anywhere in PT can cause delay on the record track that isn't at all related to that native plug? How can that be? And we're not talking about general, garden variety, subliminal delay, we're talking "screw-you-up," "can't work with this" delay. I don't use MSTR faders, BTW.

I do use AUX tracks to host my reverbs/FX, etc. and feed them from those tracks, of course. And some of them are DSP, some of them are native, I mean, there's no getting around that in this brave new world. But the presence of native plugs in the whole of the session shouldn't cause this kind of delay.

The other responder is hearing what I'm hearing I think. When the singers are saying "something's not right..." yes, that's it. Wow. This is bad!

All I have to compare it with is 10 years of HD|TDM and I've never had this problem. It's pretty unthinkable!

PhilSchroeder 03-10-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp (Post 2139174)
Exactly !

My workaround for that is to disable ADC and enable it again.
Helps in about 70% of all cases.

Awesome:o

You're saying that disabling ADC solves the problem? Wow, that's bizarre. I'll try it, though.

Hanswurstlsepp 03-10-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2139366)
You're saying that disabling ADC solves the problem? Wow, that's bizarre. I'll try it, though.

Disabling and enabling again .... not just disabling ;)

Hanswurstlsepp 03-10-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder (Post 2139365)

All I have to compare it with is 10 years of HD|TDM and I've never had this problem. It's pretty unthinkable!

Same here. Started with HDX !