Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Digi - Please Consider EuCon (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=215054)

CR Postmixer 01-31-2008 10:45 PM

Digi - Please Consider EuCon

Digi, I understand that you are in the hardware business. And I think your hardware is great for those who's needs it suits. That being said, there are others out here, long time Pro Tools users that would like to have the same connectivity that makes PT the powerful tool that it is. Some of us have needs that require the use of other consoles/control surfaces. Why wouldn't you want us to be able to take full advantage of the Digi products that we have supported and invested in for years. From your website: Digidesign® Pro Tools|HD® systems are the most powerful, flexible, and in-demand digital audio workstations (DAWs) available. More music and post production professionals around the world use Pro Tools systems for their work than any other solution. Pro Tools|HD systems deliver the unparalleled sound quality, processing power, and flexibility.
I'll agree with all of that if you concede to the flexibility. You have successfully worked with a number of other hardware/software companies over the years that have helped make Pro Tools what it is today. PLEASE open the door a little further and consider letting EuCon in. You have to admit when you first opened up to HUI it must have helped drive PT to it's current place in the market. Why not open up again and help pioneer the future of hardware/software connectivity that benefits us all.
The recent demos I have seen with Euphonix are nothing short of amazing. Their connectivity with a number of other major DAW's is very exciting for those of us that use non-digi consoles. I can only think that adding yourself to that list of companies would be in the best interest of all invested. Competition breeds innovation. Being able to say " Pro Tools in fully EuCon compatible" can only add to your popularity.

I feel I must mention that I have no personal investment with Euphonix ( as I DO with Digi ) , but I use their console daily.

So...... What do you think?

Stuart P. 02-01-2008 03:23 AM

Re: Digi - Please Consider EuCon

Quote:

Digi, I understand that you are in the hardware business. And I think your hardware is great for those who's needs it suits. That being said, there are others out here, long time Pro Tools users that would like to have the same connectivity that makes PT the powerful tool that it is. Some of us have needs that require the use of other consoles/control surfaces. Why wouldn't you want us to be able to take full advantage of the Digi products that we have supported and invested in for years. From your website: Digidesign® Pro Tools|HD® systems are the most powerful, flexible, and in-demand digital audio workstations (DAWs) available. More music and post production professionals around the world use Pro Tools systems for their work than any other solution. Pro Tools|HD systems deliver the unparalleled sound quality, processing power, and flexibility.
I'll agree with all of that if you concede to the flexibility. You have successfully worked with a number of other hardware/software companies over the years that have helped make Pro Tools what it is today. PLEASE open the door a little further and consider letting EuCon in. You have to admit when you first opened up to HUI it must have helped drive PT to it's current place in the market. Why not open up again and help pioneer the future of hardware/software connectivity that benefits us all.
The recent demos I have seen with Euphonix are nothing short of amazing. Their connectivity with a number of other major DAW's is very exciting for those of us that use non-digi consoles. I can only think that adding yourself to that list of companies would be in the best interest of all invested. Competition breeds innovation. Being able to say " Pro Tools in fully EuCon compatible" can only add to your popularity.

I feel I must mention that I have no personal investment with Euphonix ( as I DO with Digi ) , but I use their console daily.

Every time you ask Digidesign to support third party hardware, God kills a kitten.
Or so I've heard....

DAPG 02-01-2008 05:05 AM

I second this request. There are a lot of us that use Pro Tools and Logic and other apps that need a controller that works with multiple apps. Come on Digi!!!!!! HUI is tired!!!!EuCon please!!!!!

Brandonx1 02-01-2008 06:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Every time you ask Digidesign to support third party hardware, God kills a kitten.
Or so I've heard....

LOL

budster 02-01-2008 08:33 AM

t open up again and help pioneer the future of hardware/software connectivity that benefits us all.

I really second the emotion. We use both D-Commands and Euphonix where I work and the implementation would serve to streamline switching Dub Stages etc. and server professional users well. Digi/Avid would here more praises and less bashing. Digi/Avid could also implement it for Avid control possibly.

Buddy

Kelly M. Pieklo 02-01-2008 09:07 AM

+1

I use the MC daily with PT, and although the HUI protocol is good enough, it's not terribly accurate or reliable.

I also have been using Nuendo since I received the MC and it's integration via EuCon is nothing short of stunning. Digi would benefit from working with Euphonix to integrate EuCon. I have to imagine, however, that it is also a two way street - that Euphonix needs to want to integrate EuCon into Digi products.

CCash 02-01-2008 10:20 AM

The thing is, Digidesign isn't even competing with consoles like Euphonix. They don't offer a product that can addresses some of the unique needs in Post mixing, like multi-format bussing, advanced monitoring, etc.. They offer (excellent) control surfaces.

Facilities that have the need (and the means) for a post-style console will buy a console that gets the job done. It's a niche market, and a company like Euphonix fills that niche. Digidesign doesn't compete in this niche, so they won't be losing a sale; these customers need more than a control surface. But they would still likely be buying lots of Digidesign gear since Pro Tools is our industry standard right now (if the EuCon solution existed).

A Control 8 sitting off to the side is not an elegant solution at all. And since the HUI protocol is old and insufficient, other software like Nuendo looks really good on a console like the Fusion with it's insanely tight integration.

In short, Digi doesn't have to worry about losing a sale by allowing control surface functionality to a company like Euphonix, because their products aren't really competing with each other... and in doing so, Digi can pretty much guarantee continued sales of lots of hardware to Euphonix customers.

georgia 02-01-2008 11:16 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... full functionality with Digi support for EUCON control would make me soooo happy, i'd probably buy another HD rig!

cheers
geo

...mew...mew... ...mew.....m.(THUD_)...

cmaynes 02-01-2008 01:14 PM

Isn't Eucon like OMS....

Remember the problems in the MIDI world with that- and MOTU not doing OMS...

Well MOTU is still here...

but more seriously, there are two substantial issues afoot-

#1-

Eucon steals sales from ICON's period. no way around that actually- Digi did a serious controller, and they want to sell them.
Digi has also done lower-end controllers for PT- so they have options for most price points.

#2-
well, why would Digi want to help out the competition of its hardware and software products? Anything that allows a gradual transition off their product line will be counter productive for them I would think...

but they don't listen to me....

CR Postmixer 02-01-2008 02:54 PM

The way I see it if I wanted to mix " in the box " and didn't need Multi Format bussing and monitoring with snapshot recall, I would buy a Digi product. No one is going to make a better controller for PT than Digi. Same goes for the LE series. Why would you by products from 2 different manufacturers and deal with connectivity issues? Logic, Nuendo, MOTU ect. don't make control surfaces so those users have no other choice but to by third party. I really don't think that larger format console users are going to use ICON's in the first place, not if they need some of the things I mentioned earlier so you aren't losing sales because they weren't there to begin with. However you are gaining potential PT hardware sales and overall perception that your company plays nice with others and I believe that goes a long way. I always say " you can bang a nail into the wall with a screwdriver handle if you have to, but wouldn't you rather use a hammer?" Different users have different needs. All I'm asking is that Digi help out those of us with those needs. And frankly, I would see people with expensive investments in large consoles switching their DAW platform before redesigning their studio's over a control surface. The competition in the DAW category is pretty robust. There are a lot of choices that basically do the same thing and that expense would be a much easier pill to swallow. I would consider myself a loyal PT user. I just wish that I could maximize my work flow by being able to fully access my PT with the console that sits in front of me. And Euphonix is willing to do the work to make that happen! Now it's Digi's turn!