Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Catalina update for Pro-Tools? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406312)

garnoil 09-14-2019 02:32 PM

Catalina update for Pro-Tools?

I am just wondering if PT will be Catalina ready when the new Mac is released in October?

Thanks

JFreak 09-14-2019 02:40 PM

Re: Catalina update for Pro-Tools?

Not likely. Mojave-compatibility was in 2019.5

jeam25 09-14-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2538077)
Not likely. Mojave-compatibility was in 2019.5

Indeed ! Been testing since fisrt Catalina developer beta and PT don't even open. I think that there are some processes that need to be updated that still 32bit like quicktime server in order to work in Catalina. That OS don't support anything that is 32bit.

Southsidemusic 09-14-2019 03:15 PM

I would guesstimate after new year 2020 to be pleasantly surprised if it comes earlier but realistically I would not plan on making the update to Catalina until all the bugs and quirks are ironed out hopefully before Q2 2020. All this is IMHO of course and is no timeline to take into any purchase or updating decisions.

JFreak 09-14-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2538081)
hopefully before Q2 2020

pretty good guess

paulo m 09-15-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnoil (Post 2538076)
I am just wondering if PT will be Catalina ready when the new Mac is released in October?

Thanks

What significant advantages do you think Catalina OS will bring, from a pure audio perspective when using PT?

jeam25 09-15-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulo m (Post 2538124)
What significant advantages do you think Catalina OS will bring, from a pure audio perspective when using PT?

Hi

Speaking for myself testing it, catalina OS seems to be more snappier and smoother than Mojave and Mojave is already good imho. Audio perspective not shure with PT and i think nobody can't tell by now.

JFreak 09-15-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

At least it drops all unsupported software out of the table, because it is strictly 64-bit only. So only software that is well maintained today will work tomorrow. Might be bye-bye for some.

garnoil 09-15-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

I was asking because I thought the new Mac Pros will ship with Catalina and they would not run on anything earlier than Catalina? I don't have any reasons to want Catalina, bit I do want and will buy a new Mac Pro...finally, my cheese grater is very old now and chugs along very slowly but still does. I have 2 HDX cards but one use one (the other car dis in a box) because I don't have enough PCIe slots:(

JFreak 09-15-2019 04:04 PM

It is pretty much a given you need Catalina for the new Mac Pro, otherwise they would have shipped them already