Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Is there a way to store Tempo with audio in PT 11 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363862)

necjamc 01-31-2015 01:59 PM

Is there a way to store Tempo with audio in PT 11

Just curious, as the title suggests, is there a way to store tempo information within an audio file inside PT. Usually I will find the tempo inside Sony Acid Pro, then save the song or loop as an Acid Loop. Then I can drag it into PT and it will convert to the Tempo I'm using. It would save me some steps if I were able to find the songs tempo in PT (which I can do), but then save it so that I can utilize it in later compositions, or change on the fly. Clear as mud? I hope that's a good enough explanation. :o
Thanks
-Neil

mesaone 01-31-2015 02:31 PM

Re: Is there a way to store Tempo with audio in PT 11

I believe tempo is stored in metadata once the file is analyzed for elastic audio in the workspace. I could be wrong, though

albee1952 01-31-2015 03:19 PM

For what purpose? When I export audio to go somewhere else(likely to another DAW), I name the audio files with the bpm as part of the name(like songname115bpm). Or, if its a boatload of audio files, I add a readme text file to the folder with important info like bpm, sample rate, bit depth and any special instructions.:o

necjamc 01-31-2015 03:35 PM

I am creating loops to use in some cheer/dance music that I make for my daughters. It's nice to be able to drag in loops/songs that follow the tempo automatically. I will create all the songs on a list as Acid loops ahead of time normally. Then I just drag them into the template session that I create. BPM and markers etc set up ahead of time. This way they are also available to future sessions as well. It would be nice to do that all inside PT.
-Neil

musicman691 02-01-2015 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necjamc (Post 2227970)
I am creating loops to use in some cheer/dance music that I make for my daughters. It's nice to be able to drag in loops/songs that follow the tempo automatically. I will create all the songs on a list as Acid loops ahead of time normally. Then I just drag them into the template session that I create. BPM and markers etc set up ahead of time. This way they are also available to future sessions as well. It would be nice to do that all inside PT.
-Neil

Any particular reason you're not doing it all in Acid? I know it's not PT (having used Acid for years on my old Windows machine) but should be capable of doing what you want.

necjamc 02-01-2015 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2228085)
Any particular reason you're not doing it all in Acid? I know it's not PT (having used Acid for years on my old Windows machine) but should be capable of doing what you want.

Actually, I just know PT that much better. It's far more capable for editing and I'm more confident working in it. Although I do a lot of remixing for my kids, my main recording experience is with rock bands, both live and collaborative stuff with my friends. Outside of beat matching, I just don't find Acid to be much for editing. Using Acid loops, PT is fantastic for building loop based music, which also leaves you all the tools for live instruments as well. Beat matching and creating loops in PT is fairly easy, it's just too bad I couldn't save the loop as an Acid file or similar to cut out one step.
-neil

musicman691 02-01-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necjamc (Post 2228117)
Actually, I just know PT that much better. It's far more capable for editing and I'm more confident working in it. Although I do a lot of remixing for my kids, my main recording experience is with rock bands, both live and collaborative stuff with my friends. Outside of beat matching, I just don't find Acid to be much for editing. Using Acid loops, PT is fantastic for building loop based music, which also leaves you all the tools for live instruments as well. Beat matching and creating loops in PT is fairly easy, it's just too bad I couldn't save the loop as an Acid file or similar to cut out one step.
-neil

Okay - no problem there. I haven't really seen anything else that will build an Acid-type file but Acid. I'm sure there has to be other s/w out there to do that. And agreed on editing in Acid - I was never good at that and I don't see how people use Acid as their primary daw s/w. I'd rather go back to writing machine language programs for a Z80 processor.:rolleyes:

roberts 02-01-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necjamc (Post 2227940)
Just curious, as the title suggests, is there a way to store tempo information within an audio file inside PT. Usually I will find the tempo inside Sony Acid Pro, then save the song or loop as an Acid Loop. Then I can drag it into PT and it will convert to the Tempo I'm using. It would save me some steps if I were able to find the songs tempo in PT (which I can do), but then save it so that I can utilize it in later compositions, or change on the fly. Clear as mud? I hope that's a good enough explanation. :o
Thanks
-Neil

2 easy workarounds if the song has a single tempo put the tempo in the track name OR export a midi track with the song tempo map then import into the other DAW

necjamc 02-03-2015 12:22 PM

Thanks guys, all good options. I guess when needed I'll continue making Acid loops first. Although I can rewire Acid into PT, it doesn't work quite the way I like it to.
-Neil