Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   programs to translate a .wav into midi (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=66354)

Bastiaan 08-17-2002 09:10 AM

programs to translate a .wav into midi

I am looking for a program that can turn an audio-file into a midi-file. I want to use this to get a drum-track better sounding, and to do some experiments. Do programs like that exist? And if so....are they free?????? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

basschair 08-17-2002 09:50 AM

Re: programs to translate a .wav into midi

I think I'm totally misunderstanding your question.

Do you mean that you want a program that will use the .wav file as a sample which you can then trigger with midi data in order to "beef up" a drum track? I ask because I want to make sure that you know that a midi file isn't sound...to over-simplify, it's just on/off messages.

For example, I use a Proteus sound module: it's just a storage bank of high-quality samples. I trigger the sound module to play a sample with midi data from my keyboard or from a software sequencer.

So, did I understand you question right, or did you already know all this and I'm just talking out of my butt? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bastiaan 08-17-2002 10:15 AM

Basschair,

I DO know what midi is.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

what i want is that the hits in the wav-files will be transferred to midi-notes. That's all. I have several drum-tracks that i didnt record that well, and i want to replace them with samples from my samplecell card.

Jorge442 08-17-2002 10:45 AM

I know what you mean, but i don´t know of any programs that do this. I have to feed the audio to my D4 and then record the midi data that it spits out....

jorge

Devin 08-17-2002 10:50 AM

It's called Recycle, made by Propellerheads (www.propellerheads.se). It's a program that will load a loop of any type (could be drums or even other instruments) and it will automatically slice the file into sections for each "attack" it finds, or you can manually slice it yourself. It will export the file which can be imported into Reason's Dr. Rex module. Otherwise, it will also save each slice as it's own wav file to be imported into any sampler.

JMS40 08-17-2002 11:01 AM

Here's one:
http://www.akoff.com/music-composer.html
Never used it so I don't know if it works.
Do a general internet search for "pitch to midi" and you'll come up with a bunch more... that I've never used.
The one above is Poly... most are mono.

Bastiaan 08-17-2002 11:02 AM

oops,

I think i didnt tell exactly what i am looking for....

I just give it another shot.

I have this drumtrack that is played very nicely, but the quality isnt that good. I want to do it better. But it has to go back into teh song....and the song isnt recorded with a midi-click or something.
Now i was hoping there is some program that will just read the audio on the track, and for every drum-hit, it will substitute a midi-note. Then later on i can take this midi-file, import into ptle, and assign a drumsynth to that midifile. I realise i have to pencil out a lot of stuff, but i dont mind....

Bastiaan 08-17-2002 11:04 AM

jms40 is on the right track. I will try this program and let you know how it works!

JMS40 08-17-2002 11:24 AM

Please do... I've been curious about these.
Quote:

Originally posted by Bastiaan:
jms40 is on the right track. I will try this program and let you know how it works!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

subskin 08-17-2002 11:25 AM

what about sound replacer?