Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Mastering Plugs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407004)

jwilkers 11-01-2019 10:26 AM

Mastering Plugs

Hi,

I am a Pro Tools Vanilla user. I use Studio One 4 for mastering and burning.
Not a pro but have done some albums and have gotten better over the years.

I know this question is WAY more complex than I am making it, but humor me.

If I were going to buy a bundle with Black Friday coming,

Mastering:
Waves?
Izotope?
Some other brand?

Go!

jeam25 11-01-2019 10:29 AM

Re: Mastering Plugs

Hi ! don't forget Plugin Alliance and Universal Audio.

JFreak 11-01-2019 10:52 AM

Mastering is usually done on analog domain, but if you call yourself a mastering engineer and need to ask, then Waves L3LL does pretty good job

jwilkers 11-01-2019 11:03 AM

I do not call myself a mastering engineer.
Strictly a novice doing it for free to help those who can't pay.
Up and coming local teen artists, solo worship artists, etc.
I don't have the money for analog or actually I do but don't wish to spend it on that.
Thanks much for the advice on Waves.

Stephen Bond 11-01-2019 11:37 AM

I'd get a demo of the Maserati GRP plugin.

If you just need a little level and tone shaping then this could be perfect.

I use it all the time.

Stephen

amagras 11-01-2019 11:51 AM

I too use L3 but I'd recommend getting L3-16 as it includes L1, L2 and L3 which can be combined and in some cases it can sound more transparent and have less distortion than L3. I would also look at Izotope Ozone, the mastering assistant can be pretty helpful and give you good suggestions.

Benoni 11-01-2019 12:07 PM

iZotope Ozone is great for beginners and advanced users since you have so many choices and you have the Master Assistant that will create a unique starting point for you based on your program material.

Plugin Alliance Masterdesk is absolutely amazing. I have yet to hear something that didn't immediately sound better being run through it. It's simple to use for anyone at any skill level.

Waves has a variety of plugins for mastering that work well, like TG Mastering Chain.

You can demo all of these for free.

musicman691 11-01-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2543334)
iZotope Ozone is great for beginners and advanced users since you have so many choices and you have the Master Assistant that will create a unique starting point for you based on your program material.

Plugin Alliance Masterdesk is absolutely amazing. I have yet to hear something that didn't immediately sound better being run through it. It's simple to use for anyone at any skill level.

Waves has a variety of plugins for mastering that work well, like TG Mastering Chain.

You can demo all of these for free.

A little tip for the Abbey Road TG Mastering plugin form Waves - don't feed it with too high a level or you'll overwhelm the compressor/limiter in it.

albee1952 11-01-2019 05:25 PM

I second Ozone 9 for novices:D

TOM@METRO 11-01-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2543334)

I agree about MasterDesk. I actually bought it with reservations, but was pleasantly surprised.