Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   total newbie (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387531)

zakhilla 12-26-2016 07:05 AM

total newbie

hi all
i have just finished building my studio
i have a mac pro desktop computer
i am looking to get the whole pro tools package
i have used old versions of pro tools and logic

the first thing is apart from the pro tools specific apple keyboard what is the whole pro tools package? is it all soft ware? or is there hardware too? can they be bought separately?

are there any outlets in the uk? is it best to buy online? who is the most economic?

do i really need the latest? if i don't get the latest will there be crash or bug problems?

Wizzoboy 12-26-2016 07:58 AM

Re: total newbie

I think you are approaching this the wrong way. Have you identified exactly what you will be using PT for? This will dictate what level of PT you need. HD, HDX, or native. What about control surfaces? You do not need a PT specific keyboard for instance if you learn the shortcuts. Yes, everything is available in the UK. Also check your budget. You can go from around £600.00 to several thousand depending on what you choose. But first I suggest you do some research. All the systems and software information is on the Avid website.

Darryl Ramm 12-26-2016 08:40 AM

Yes exactly what are you planning on doing? What sort of recording, VI composition, etc. etc.

What interface(s) are you planning on using? You got things like monitors, monitor controllers, control surfaces already?

To expand on the above... you can spend tens of thousands on a Pro Tools HD Digilink system (hardware and software). Asking the questions you are asking with no clear info about what you need/are doing is pointless.

zakhilla 12-27-2016 05:41 AM

hi ok i have a large album to edit mix and master
13 songs
some have 100 plus tracks
after this i will be recording editing mixing and mastering new albums

i have the os x El Capitan version 10.11.6
its a quad core 12 GB

i have used protools on another computer and almost finished the album when some guy came in and deleted all the work
i need to get back to it

Obsidian Dragon 12-27-2016 09:17 PM

When you use 100 tracks, are they audio tracks or midi (virtual instrument) tracks? How many simultaneous tracks do you record at a time? Regular vanilla Protools can handle up to 128 tracks while Protools HD can handle up to 768 (at 48KHz)/384(at 96KHz)/128 (at 198KHz). The number of analogue and digital inputs and outputs depends on your interface, but vanilla Protools maxes out at 32 inputs and Protools HD maxes out at 192 inputs. I hope that points you in the general direction when deciding what you need.

Oh, one more thing. Going forward, make sure you backup your data to a separate drive...and then backup again to another separate drive. Nothing is backed up until it is backed up twice. That way if someone deletes the data off the system, you can restore the data from the backup drives. You've learned the hard way about this lesson. It is probably the most important lesson. Sometimes you capture magic in a performance while tracking and it never happens again. You don't want to lose that take.

jre3132 12-28-2016 03:15 AM

Also, I would recommend an off site backup. Whether that is you taking a backup hard drive with you as you leave or some type of cloud. I learned that when there was a fire in the building and my only copy of everything I had was inside.

The Weed 12-28-2016 11:02 AM

And further to backups of data, images or clones of working system drives too.

zakhilla 01-14-2017 07:26 AM

thanks all yes i have a hard drive with original tracks on it
unfortunately the edit sessions were deleted from here so I'm starting from scratch

I'm going to select the tracks i want from the many takes so the track number will be less

I'm talking midi tracks (each instruments) when i get to edit i will separate the tracks (complete songs) and edit them separately

so protools hd sounds like the way forward,
where should i buy the complete package from?
and what sort of price am i looking at??

zakhilla 01-14-2017 07:39 AM

it is not clear

i look at some that say i need a card to run protools hd
some say i can get a student edition
some are 600 quid others are 2500

sorry to pester you guys but I'm getting confused

Wizzoboy 01-14-2017 08:23 AM

Pro Tools HD software £2278.80. Non HD £550.80. For PT HD you will need an HD interface. The Avid Omni is around £2000.00. HDX is considerably more. For non HD there is a wide choice of interfaces from £200.00 upwards depending on number of inputs and outputs. One of the main dealers is HHB based in London. Or you can buy the software from the Avid store. As you are getting confused I suggest you do a lot more research to establish exactly what your requirements are. Are you sure that PT is the right software for you? You can also use the forum search function for information.
This is HHBs website.
http://www.hhb.co.uk