Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   glitches permanently "printed" to a track/time in a session?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=256178)

BusyBoxSt7 10-05-2009 04:45 PM

glitches permanently "printed" to a track/time in a session??

I've got a session w/ a decent # of plugs running (about 70, almost entirely RTAS off UAD2) + some volume envelopes etc. 60 channels (counted stereo tracks as 2, so actually less faders)...

Anyway, @ 1:59 I get a distorted glitch noise (similar to when you've got too much running and the computer stops and you get an error message) that's permanently stuck on the tracks that are playing at that time (only 3 tracks). If I copy/ paste the individual tracks to a different time, the noise disappears. If I move the whole song in time, the noise is still there. If I disable all of the plugs and inactivate all the other tracks, the glitch is still there (so it's not a resource thing at the actual moment).

Any clues on how I can get rid of this? I'm supposed to deliver the mixes to the M.E. today and they've got this turd sound right in the middle of the song.

Thanks in advance.

MY SYSTEM
Mac Pro Quad 2.66 OSX 10.4.8 (delaying Leopard due to PT8 upgrade fees)
3 GB ram
drives (see above)
PT HD 7.3.1
HD1 accel pcie (rarely use TDM plugs)
Lynx Aurora16 ADDA
UAD2 Quad almost omni (runs as RTAS of course)
hopefully some outboard and a console soon..

c-tone 10-05-2009 05:00 PM

Re: glitches permanently "printed" to a track/time in a session??

Check for automation moves at the point you are getting the glitch. An abrupt automation move could cause this.

You could also easily test this by turning automation off on all channels and see if it still glitches.

BusyBoxSt7 10-05-2009 11:55 PM

ways I've tested it...
-with all automation bypassed (and all plugs inactivated)
-with all non-playing channels inactivated
-combine both above..

here's what finally worked (sorta)
-inactivate all channels except the 3 ones playing in this dropout section
-set automation reader to "off" (even though it's only 3 ch, weird)
-record these w/o glitch to a new audio track
-paste them over the old audio
-still have to bounce this 2 seconds of the song w/ all automation off or it'll come back

Note that simply turning off all automation (without re-recording the tracks) did not work.

Thanks for the help.

BusyBoxSt7 10-05-2009 11:59 PM

PS. this is the first / only time this has ever happened to me... yeah, I know it's just an HD1, but I don't really use TDM plugs much at all and rarely run high track count...

QUESTIONs
1) Would getting more RAM (currently 3GB) help?
2) Does the speed of the audio drive (internal) matter much? I mean between various models of 7200rpm 32mb cache drives (like Caviar green vs. black or a raptor)...
3) Would a high perf. system drive help? (ex: cav. black or raptor)

Only answer that as far as this specific instance, I'm going to post a separate thread asking about these things in general so that I don't mix this one up too much.

crizdee 10-06-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusyBoxSt7 (Post 1473295)
PS. this is the first / only time this has ever happened to me... yeah, I know it's just an HD1, but I don't really use TDM plugs much at all and rarely run high track count...

QUESTIONs
1) Would getting more RAM (currently 3GB) help?
2) Does the speed of the audio drive (internal) matter much? I mean between various models of 7200rpm 32mb cache drives (like Caviar green vs. black or a raptor)...
3) Would a high perf. system drive help? (ex: cav. black or raptor)

Only answer that as far as this specific instance, I'm going to post a separate thread asking about these things in general so that I don't mix this one up too much.

Hi,

What are your playback engine settings?

Chris

Follow Who 10-06-2009 06:39 AM

I've gotten around this issue before by doing a "Save Copy As" and selecting "All Audio Files" and basically just making a new session. The glitch did not transfer to the new session.

crizdee 10-06-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Follow Who (Post 1473438)
I've gotten around this issue before by doing a "Save Copy As" and selecting "All Audio Files" and basically just making a new session. The glitch did not transfer to the new session.

Yes good idea! And welcome to the DUC!

Would be good to know what the actual cause was? So to the OP, is it all UAD plugs? Do you have load lock on? Is the UAD meter showing close to full? Any automation on the UAD plugs?

UAD 1 or 2?

Chris

midnightrambler 10-06-2009 07:10 AM

As a (slight) aside, do you think, say, a vertical ramp up on a level should induce a click or glitch? I mean, the scientific part of me says, well, yes, because that's what would happen if you could do that physically in the real world, therefore the automation is replicating the move and click sound exactly. But the musician part of me says, really, what the f**k do I want glitches and clicks in my mix for?

JA Allen 10-06-2009 07:37 AM

Almost exactly 2 min into the song.

Sounds like maybe a plug out there could be in an old fashioned demo mode? Maybe missed authorization somewhere?

BusyBoxSt7 10-08-2009 05:26 PM

Wow. Sorry, had my email notifications off....

ONE OTHER NOTE, then responses to the questions
I do get this error from time to time on large sessions. It comes up every once in awhile when I'm clicking around rapidly.
"You are running out of CPU power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase the CPU usage limit in the Playback Engine dialog. (-9128)"
And occasionally I get a mix that won't make it through bounce to disk so I use a stereo aux and a new stereo audio track (hell, bounce to disk is way less reliable in general it seems so I'm quitting using it).

JA: nope, I have no trial plugs.

midnight rambler: funny aside, it's be cool if PT could read our minds on that one or have a little pop up "Are you sure you want to do that?).. it's not that though, it's no a click, it's like a 1/2 second of nasty digital mess.

Follow Who: I will try this next time it's a problem. Already bounced the final mix on this one.

Crizdee: UAD-2, DSP usage @ 72%, PGM @ 27%, mem zero... before I printed a few of these tracks (onto new tracks w/ FX then deactivated the tracks w/ inserts), it was at 87/40/1...

Almost entirely UAD plugs, a few digi/focusrite EQs, a couple Altiverbs.. only one TDM plug, rest RTAS. Automation on the UAD2 plugs? Just a simple bypass automate on one (not near the glitch area, yeah, i tried inactivating that plug, I've heard them pop before going in and out of bypass)...

Playback Engine Dialog:
512 samples
4 proc.
95% CPU
"ignore errors" unchecked, 96 voices 2 dsp (was on 96 3DSP, didn't make a difference)
long delay comp (4095 per ch.)
level 2 DAE buffer
minimize system memory allocation unchecked