Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Can't add audio to track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413543)

SpencerBoyd 01-07-2021 05:32 AM

Can't add audio to track

Hey guys!

I'm a long time pro tools user but have recently run into a snag with 2020.12.0

When I go to add an audio file to a session it never gets past processing the file. No waveform, not able to play the file, etc. I've tried multiple files in multiple sessions and it doesn't make any difference. It also doesn't make any difference if I drag and drop onto a track or if I use File > Import > Audio.

I recently installed (then uninstalled) adobe creative cloud but with no audio components. I've also tried uninstalling all AVID components from my machine then reinstalling pro tools.

Your assistance would be appreciated!
Spencer

Ben Jenssen 01-07-2021 06:18 AM

Re: Can't add audio to track

Hi. Welcome to the DUC.

I can't help you, I'm afraid, but I'm shure someone will chime in, especially if you provide more info on your system. Perhaps put essential system info in your signature.

Have a look here:
Help Us Help You

TOM@METRO 01-07-2021 06:55 AM

What Ben said is spot on. It's difficult to help without at least OS and computer info.

SpencerBoyd 01-07-2021 08:08 AM

My mistake for forgetting to include that.

I'm running the following:
Pro Tools 2020.12

Windows 10 - 20H2

Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
8 GB of RAM

The system has worked well up to this point!

TOM@METRO 01-07-2021 01:03 PM

This may or may not be contributing, but Pro Tools requires at least 16GB RAM. (32GB or more recommended)

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

paul_g 01-07-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2589770)
This may or may not be contributing, but Pro Tools requires at least 16GB RAM. (32GB or more recommended)

For sure... I see 16 GiB of ram getting consumed on my system easily. But if it's just a wav file, does it actually record the wave, but just no audio?

musicman691 01-08-2021 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_g (Post 2589793)
For sure... I see 16 GiB of ram getting consumed on my system easily. But if it's just a wav file, does it actually record the wave, but just no audio?

Can't have a wave without the audio; the wave you see is a visual representation of the audio.

paul_g 01-08-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2589813)
Can't have a wave without the audio; the wave you see is a visual representation of the audio.

What I meant was, are you getting just a place holder... And yes you can. I have a session where for some reason the tracks were accidentally not getting recorded to the session audio files folder and was sent somewhere else.

When I opened the session, I could see the tracks, even had all my edits and cross overs, but no visual representation of audio.

All I'm asking is it possible the audio file isn't the location you think it's in?

B.J. 01-08-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerBoyd (Post 2589728)
My mistake for forgetting to include that.

I'm running the following:
Pro Tools 2020.12

Windows 10 - 20H2

Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
8 GB of RAM

The system has worked well up to this point!

W10 20H2 is not supported. Could your Windows been updated lately?

TOM@METRO 01-08-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.J. (Post 2589834)

This is correct, but I do know a few who are using it with 2020.12, although different system specs may prevail.

Sonopolis 01-08-2021 04:20 PM

I vaguely remember I once had a similar issue on MacOS. Is it really any file? Any file type? Can you drag to the clip list and then to a track? Can you drag from the PT file browser? Can a third party app like Soundly spot to PT?

SpencerBoyd 01-09-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 2589770)

Good call, I didn't realize PT required 16 GB. It looks like I need to upgrade.

Quote:

What I meant was, are you getting just a place holder... And yes you can. I have a session where for some reason the tracks were accidentally not getting recorded to the session audio files folder and was sent somewhere else.

When I opened the session, I could see the tracks, even had all my edits and cross overs, but no visual representation of audio.

All I'm asking is it possible the audio file isn't the location you think it's in?
Yes, just the placeholder and no waveform. In this case I'm certain of file location. I've tried a bunch of files I can play with Windows Media Player but nothing in PT.

Quote:

I updated not too long ago but PT has worked since I updated. I didn't realize it 20H2 wasn't supported, I guess updating was a mistake.

Quote:

I vaguely remember I once had a similar issue on MacOS. Is it really any file? Any file type? Can you drag to the clip list and then to a track? Can you drag from the PT file browser? Can a third party app like Soundly spot to PT?
I've tried from the clip list too, unfortunately there was no difference.

I guess the bottom line, for now, is to upgrade my RAM to at least 16 GB. Hopefully there's an update for PT to support 20H2.

Thank you, everyone!

Obsidian Dragon 01-09-2021 07:53 PM

I realize that the OP is on W10 20H2, so the 16GB RAM minimum may be an issue. The same requirement is also stated for Mac OS X, but I am able to run Protools on a spare machine with only 8GB RAM, including dragging and dropping wav or mp3 files into tracks. Although getting more RAM is highly recommended, I'm not 100% convinced that the limited RAM is the sole reason for this issue.

I know it is a pain, but I would try a clean install of the OS (a compatible version of Windows if possible) on a separate drive and then install Protools to test.

SpencerBoyd 01-10-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 2589990)
I realize that the OP is on W10 20H2, so the 16GB RAM minimum may be an issue. The same requirement is also stated for Mac OS X, but I am able to run Protools on a spare machine with only 8GB RAM, including dragging and dropping wav or mp3 files into tracks. Although getting more RAM is highly recommended, I'm not 100% convinced that the limited RAM is the sole reason for this issue.

I know it is a pain, but I would try a clean install of the OS (a compatible version of Windows if possible) on a separate drive and then install Protools to test.

Sure enough! I reloaded Windows 10 20H2 (I didn't have any option to go back) and everything is back to normal. Perhaps when creative cloud was uninstalled it wiped out a dependency that PT uses??

Thanks for the help!

Obsidian Dragon 01-10-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerBoyd (Post 2590034)
Sure enough! I reloaded Windows 10 20H2 (I didn't have any option to go back) and everything is back to normal. Perhaps when creative cloud was uninstalled it wiped out a dependency that PT uses??

Thanks for the help!

Glad we got it sorted.

TOM@METRO 01-11-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerBoyd (Post 2590034)

Thanks for the help!

Great news!