Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   import audio and only get white noise (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=67116)

Kris75 09-19-2002 09:11 PM

import audio and only get white noise

I run PTLE 5.1.1 on windows 98se. I just recently finished recording drums at a studio using a program called SAW Studio. When I brought the Hard drive home and tried to import them, PTLE said no problem. But when they came up, all you can here is white noise. When I tried to convert them, same problem. They are just wav files so what could possibly be the problem.
So I tried them on other systems. They worked.
The only thing I can think of is that the computer with SAW ran on windows 2000. But it still makes no sense to me. Someone please help.

Roy Howell 09-19-2002 09:20 PM

Re: import audio and only get white noise

Hey Kris,
What 'other' systems did you try them on? I mean, are they PT type systems, or are they streamers, like WindowsMediaPlayer type systems? Thanks, Roy

Kris75 09-19-2002 10:09 PM

I tried them on wave lab. and also another home Saw system. Windows media player does the same thing as PTLE.

funkdefino 09-19-2002 10:32 PM

Are the file extensions .wav?

Have you tried opening them as .raw files?

I usualy have this problem when dealing with files from older MAC protool sessions, and odd DAW programs.

Experimenting with .raw files usualy gets them open.

Good Luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kris75 09-19-2002 10:53 PM

they are .wav files. Can I open them as .raw files?
Thanx.

Roy Howell 09-19-2002 10:59 PM

I don't think it's because of the different OS's(98 and windows2000). I think it's between that SAW program and PT (though not the fault of PT). What bit/sample rate are these WAV files? Could they need to be converted first?

funkdefino 09-20-2002 12:49 AM

You can open them as .raw files.

You will have to play around with bit and sample rate. You will also have to choose big or little endian.

Experimental advice:
If you get the file to play and then it all of a sudden starts with the white noise again save the file as a .wav. When the saved .wav file plays it won't have the white noise there any more. Also if the screen shows the peak data on the screen try playing the file at random points. The file is most likely ready to be saved as a .wav file if the software can extract peak data.

Once you have figured one file out you can then convert all the files with the same settings without checking them.

I hope this solves your problem! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kris75 09-20-2002 04:21 PM

Thanx for the advice guys but I am still having no luck. I just emailed support. I truly appreciate you assistance.
Sincerley Kris.