Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Reminder: Add a cancel button to plugin shuffle! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=189293)

uno1234 02-08-2007 10:52 AM

Reminder: Add a cancel button to plugin shuffle!

I am in the middle of a 10 MINUTE plugin reshuffle. It started at 1:48, it is now 1:57. WTF?! Okay, okay, I get it... there is no more DSP available. Now stop shuffling so I can switch to RTAS plugins.

This is a must. Sometimes it just would be faster to do a hard restart. My client just paid $39 for this recent shuffle experience.

BGee 02-08-2007 01:21 PM

Re: Reminder: Add a cancel button to plugin shuffle!

2nd that.

Jan Karamell 02-08-2007 01:23 PM

and third that from me...

Evil Jack 02-08-2007 01:32 PM

Ahhh...yes 'The Dance of the Plugin Fairies'

Lee Blaske 02-08-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

I am in the middle of a 10 MINUTE plugin reshuffle. It started at 1:48, it is now 1:57. WTF?! Okay, okay, I get it... there is no more DSP available. Now stop shuffling so I can switch to RTAS plugins.

Somehow, I don't think that would be possible, because your rig is actually moving that stuff around amongst your DSP, and communication between the computer and DSP is somewhat time consuming (instanciating one plug-in takes time). If you cancelled the shuffle, you'd most likely be in some weird, unusable state.

If you only have one chair in a huge room, rearranging the furniture is an easy task. If the room is packed with furniture, it takes a lot longer.

Lee Blaske

crizdee 02-08-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

If you only have one chair in a huge room, rearranging the furniture is an easy task. If the room is packed with furniture, it takes a lot longer.

Lee Blaske

Great analogy Lee

Seeee 02-08-2007 03:46 PM

Re: Reminder: Add a cancel button to plugin shuffl

and a cancel fade button would be nice.

bashville 02-08-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

This is a must. Sometimes it just would be faster to do a hard restart. My client just paid $39 for this recent shuffle experience.

You charge $234/hr.?

poncival 02-08-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

I am in the middle of a 10 MINUTE plugin reshuffle. It started at 1:48, it is now 1:57. WTF?!

Yeah, that's 9 minutes. And how do you know if you're in the middle of it if you don't know when it is going to end?

BGee 02-08-2007 06:37 PM

A cancel button before the shuffle started is what I was talking about. That way you could choose to abort instantiating the plugin you were about to add so the shuffle never starts.