Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Avid Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Driver! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362531)

zion 12-30-2014 11:57 AM

Avid Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Manager!

I know this has been ask for a thousand times or more but can you guys not forget it's there? In your forward thinking of the next and greatest thing can you improve the Avid Core Audio Manager to play nicely with other apps? Please keep this guy moving forward! :(

Bill Denton 12-30-2014 01:33 PM

Re: Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Driver!

You really should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...

zion 12-30-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 2216854)
You really should not have any other programs running when Pro Tools is running...

I don't! :confused: The Avid Core audio driver is used when I'm not using Pro Tools. It is used with other audio apps like iTunes, DSP Quattro, Toast Titanium ect. But I'm sure you new that Bill! It is also used with some standalone apps.

nigelpry 12-30-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zion (Post 2216871)
I don't! :confused: The Avid Core audio driver is used when I'm not using Pro Tools. It is used with other audio apps like iTunes, DSP Quattro, Toast Titanium ect. But I'm sure you new that Bill! It is also used with some standalone VSTi's.

Don't get confused by Bill's comments. Put simply, he has the ability, in spades, to talk confidently on subjects about which he knows little, or nothing.

He, by his own admission in other threads, doesn't use and knows nothing about mac computers, and, by implication, about using Avid hardware or Avid software on mac computers.

Our best attempts to persuade him to 'zip it' in such situations seems doomed to failure, based on our experience to date. Still, we live in hope ;-)

zion 12-30-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2216874)
Don't get confused by Bill's comments. Put simply, he has the ability, in spades, to talk confidently on subjects about which he knows little, or nothing.

He, by his own admission in other threads, doesn't use and knows nothing about mac computers, and, by implication, about using Avid hardware or Avid software on mac computers.

Our best attempts to persuade him to 'zip it' in such situations seems doomed to failure, based on our experience to date. Still, we live in hope ;-)

LOL!

CygnusX-1Bk2 12-30-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2216874)

Ok, this makes sense now. He must be running 98SE too. I just love the nugget about not running other programs while ProTools is running. Especially when talking about the CoreAudio driver, which is for using Avid/Digi hardware with other software.

Michael Zull 12-30-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 (Post 2216911)
I just love the nugget about not running other programs while ProTools is running. Especially when talking about the CoreAudio driver, which is for using Avid/Digi hardware with other software.

Indeed, pure comedy gold.

Bill Denton 12-30-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zion (Post 2216871)
I don't! :confused: The Avid Core audio driver is used when I'm not using Pro Tools. It is used with other audio apps like iTunes, DSP Quattro, Toast Titanium ect. But I'm sure you new that Bill! It is also used with some standalone VSTi's.

No, did not know that.

Thank you for providing the information...

audiobob 12-30-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 2216924)
No, did not know that.

Bill, seems you've lost your way again. Here you go...

http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Park Seward 12-30-2014 08:02 PM

Re: Avid Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Driver!

Back in the old days when computers were not very powerful, it was common to use only one program, like Final Cut Pro, when digitizing video. It would be foolish to run another program, no matter how simple, while digitizing. This was the day of 9 MB drives. Notice I said MB and not GB.

I still to this day close other programs when digitizing. While is may be unnecessary today, I don't want to start the digitizing over if I get a dropped frame.

While using my MacPro to run PT, I have an older laptop to do Mail, Excel and a web browser. Makes me feel safe even though it may be totally unnecessary.