Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Need Help with a CPU Boost (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=332804)

bounce88 01-03-2013 08:19 AM

Need Help with a CPU Boost

Hey all. Iíve been out of the PT world for a bit and just getting back in. Iím running a 4-year old 15 in Macbook Pro, a 003 control surface and PT LE 8.0.1. About 2 years I put an internal 750 gig drive. Donít have the specs handy, but itís a high RPM. I recently bought a 27 inch LG LED LCD E2742 monitor. Plan was to run it in conjunction with the Macbookís screen via the DVI out of the Macbook through an HDMI adapter. I want to have the mix window on one screen, edit on another. When I got it all hooked up, I got a CPU low error. I only had two tracks and Kontact 4 open. Then it stops playback. Tried different combinations of track/plug arrangements and got the same result. When I disconnect the LG monitor from the DVI out, it works fine. Like I said, Iíve been out of the game a few years so I could use some advice. What would any of you recommend for getting it the point where I can run a large session with multiple plug ins on both monitors? Is it possible? Would upgrading to PT LE 9 or 10 help? More RAM, etc? Thanks! Hereís my specs:

PT LE 8.0.1 on a 003 Control Surface
LG 27 in LED LCD E2742 monitor
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

Ben Jenssen 01-03-2013 08:55 AM

Re: Need Help with a CPU Boost

No doubt, this is the CPU working hard to feed the 27" its image.

I don't know much about mac laptops, but I can't really see how you can provide that screen with its many pixels, with just your mac, without using your CPU to do it.

I'm shure someone will chime in.

(Edit: I bet if you set the screen to a lower resolution it will take less CPU)

albee1952 01-03-2013 08:57 AM

What version of OS? Does it work okay without the 27" monitor(if yes, then I suspect a graphics issue, or you don't have a separate graphics card in the MBP).

bounce88 01-03-2013 09:24 AM

Oh yeah. I suppose the OS system would be just a tiny detail that might be needed to be posted, huh? It's 10.6.8.

The Macbook does decent with the external monitor when not running PT. A very slight lag, but nothing that I ever thought in a million years would bring down two instrument tracks and a larger plug in. Although, the most I probably have taxed the CPU with the monitor before trying it with PT was running large rendered HD files in quicktime with no issues. Not sure if that even compares, though.

Not in front of it at the moment, but I'm sure I'm running a high resolution on the external monitor.

Would a graphics card do the trick? My initial thought when it happened was a needed more RAM.

Thanks!

Craig F 01-03-2013 09:57 AM

I suspect you have the Intel integrated video
Go into the System Profiler to see what video sub system you have
problem with a laptop is you can not change the video sub system, it is what it is when it rolls off the line

If it is as I suspect the integrated video I think your out of luck