Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Apollo DSP usage when idle (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363209)

adam79 01-16-2015 02:18 PM

Apollo DSP usage when idle

When my Apollo is just plugged into the computer the DSP is at 17%. Is it always like this?

priorytools 01-16-2015 03:09 PM

Re: Apollo DSP usage when idle

Try opening the control panel, then the system tab I think it is. Turn off the blue button on the left. Now switch off the hardware. Leave for 10 secs, power on again. This should clear the DSP.

adam79 01-17-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priorytools (Post 2222159)
Try opening the control panel, then the system tab I think it is. Turn off the blue button on the left. Now switch off the hardware. Leave for 10 secs, power on again. This should clear the DSP.

Thanks, I'll try that out. Although the people at UA said that the Console software uses DSP to run.

Also, any plug-ins added in the Console app are just for recording to disk when tracking to the DAW, right?

My other question is about the +4/-10db option for the line inputs. You set this according to the cable type being used (balanced vs unbalanced), right?

Thanks,
Adam

Southsidemusic 01-17-2015 04:57 PM

All our 3 Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 interfaces displays a CPU. usage even when PTHD11 is closed, i sent a support ticket to UA and they said that the Console Software draws a little CPU from the Shark Processors and it was a normal thing to do so,

Regarding -10/+4 we always have the +4 on as thats the most used setting according to UA

Best Regards
Christopher

Barry Johns 01-26-2015 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2222450)
All our 3 Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 interfaces displays a CPU. usage even when PTHD11 is closed, i sent a support ticket to UA and they said that the Console Software draws a little CPU from the Shark Processors and it was a normal thing to do so,

Regarding -10/+4 we always have the +4 on as thats the most used setting according to UA

Best Regards
Christopher

What are your thought regarding using the Apollo's with PT's verses working directly in a PTHD TDM rig?

What made you choose the Apollo's verses being the satellite version if using UA Plugins was the motivator?

What are your thought on the DA side of the unit?

Southsidemusic 01-26-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Johns (Post 2226030)
What are your thought regarding using the Apollo's with PT's verses working directly in a PTHD TDM rig?

What made you choose the Apollo's verses being the satellite version if using UA Plugins was the motivator?

What are your thought on the DA side of the unit?

We love the Apollo Quad and Apollo 16 in PTHD 11.
Love the DA and the Unison preamp stuff even though we use outboard when tracking for release sessions.

Works great :-)

We have 2 Quad satellites aswell so we have 3 X 4 Shark Processors with UA now.

Also we use our HDX system when we have stemmed out all the audio tracks and traded in our old HD3 rig a while ago.

We have had good luck on all systems we have with UA and HDX so thats where we stand today

Christopher

Bill Denton 01-26-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2222438)
Thanks, I'll try that out. Although the people at UA said that the Console software uses DSP to run.

Also, any plug-ins added in the Console app are just for recording to disk when tracking to the DAW, right?

My other question is about the +4/-10db option for the line inputs. You set this according to the cable type being used (balanced vs unbalanced), right?

Thanks,
Adam

'Fraid not...you set +4/-10 based on the levels of the equipment being connected.

While a lot of +4 gear does have balanced I/O, by no means is unbalanced I/O unusual in pro gear. And while I can't think of any names at the moment, there are a few-highly regarded equipment designers who would stuff a soldering iron some place where you really wouldn't want it to be if you tried to get them to use balanced I/O on their gear.

While I've never seen any -10 gear with balanced I/O, I assume it could be built.

So, if the connectors aren't marked on the panel, you'll need to check the manual(s)...

adam79 01-26-2015 06:06 PM

Hey. I still have a question when using the console app w/ PT11 (I don't have HD). Is the only reason to add plugins in the console app to record the track w/ all the plugin chosen to the DAW drive. I.e once you record into pro tools w/ the plug-ins chosen in console, the console plugins are no longer editable and committed to the recorded track in PT, right? They talk about copying the plugins from console into PT. What's the point of this? Unless I'm wrong about the plugins in console being committed to the DAW once recorded.. I.e. once these plugins are recorded to the DAW they are set in stone?

Darryl Ramm 01-26-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam79 (Post 2226099)
Hey. I still have a question when using the console app w/ PT11 (I don't have HD). Is the only reason to add plugins in the console app to record the track w/ all the plugin chosen to the DAW drive. I.e once you record into pro tools w/ the plug-ins chosen in console, the console plugins are no longer editable and committed to the recorded track in PT, right? They talk about copying the plugins from console into PT. What's the point of this? Unless I'm wrong about the plugins in console being committed to the DAW once recorded.. I.e. once these plugins are recorded to the DAW they are set in stone?

Running plugins in the console gives you the ability to provide low-latency cue mixes back to talent via plugins. That is the most significant reason it is used, you can choose to record the dry or wet version of that signal into Pro Tools, or both. If you record the wet version in Pro Tools then it's just audio already processed by some external device, like with any such externally processed input you can't change that/undo the processing in Pro Tools. But if you have also tracked the dry signal then you can post-process that with the same of different UAD or other plugins. Sometimes it's better to just commit to input processing while tracking and get work done.

Southsidemusic 01-26-2015 06:30 PM

I can't wait for the new Console 2 from UA that has a crapload of new fantastic features inplemented and its free for everyone who has UA gear! Fantastic!

With the new console you will be able to choose on a track by track basis if ypu wanna commit or just monitor the Track/Tracks and thats a great new feature to have.

Check out the Fab Dupont videos from Namm and see the new GUI and new features. Looks superb! :-)