Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   USB Keyboard crashing PT9 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298925)

2 and 4 04-10-2011 07:42 PM

USB Keyboard crashing PT9

After many troubles I finally have PT9 up and running on my 2x2.66 Intel Xeon.. as long as I don't have my evolution MK-249c USB keyboard plugged in. As soon as PT9 sees it, the session disappears and the warning comes up that pro tools has unexpectedly quit.

The AMS recognizes the keyboard and makes a noise with the test midi feature and the keyboard also appears in the peripherals, but as soon as I activate the peripherals settings, it shuts down. A Frontier Tranzport works in the peripherals no problem.

Oh, same story with an Oxygen 49 connected instead of the MK-249c.

I have done reinstalls, trashed prefs, trashed .plist info.. everything I could find online to try. Hoping someone here could help a brother out.

Anyone?

2 and 4 04-13-2011 01:15 PM

Re: USB Keyboard crashing PT9

Bump!

With all the PT9 issues, someone has to have come across this. Feel free to chime in and tell me your USB keyboard works fine with PT9, at least then I'll know there is hope!

marrap 04-13-2011 04:57 PM

You are on a PC ?
Cause on Mac we all use USB Keyboard without any issue.
That's Mac OSX DUC, better go to ask at Windows specific DUC.

2 and 4 04-14-2011 08:21 AM

That is the weird thing, I've never owned a PC. this is all happening on a Mac. I guess I should of said a Mac 2.66 x 2 Intel Xeon.

bradch00 04-14-2011 09:51 AM

So, when you bring PT up with the keyboard plugged in, PT never initializes?

2 and 4 04-14-2011 03:45 PM

New info... I can get the usb keyboard to work in the MIDI track/ Aux input set up. I can play, record, etc. It is selectable in the MIDI controller section of Peripherals but works with "none" as the selection.

To answer your question, if the keyboard is selected in the MIDI controller section of Peripherals before a session is open, then no, the session will never open and I get the Pro Tools suddenly quit warning.

I can open a blank instrument track with the MIDI/Aux still running and everything still works. If I slide my instrument from the MIDI/Aux to the Instrument track, it also works. I'm surprised! Still, "none" is selected in MIDI Controllers from Peripherals from the Setup drop down menu. This should not be the case, should it? Shouldn't it have to be selected?

If I delete the MIDI and Aux tracks, I can now play and record on the instrument track, with the keyboard still unselected in MIDI controllers.

(I'm doing all this as I'm typing, so this is all news to me).

And now if I select the keyboard, it crashes. Upon restart, I did not create MIDI/ Aux track, but did create Instrument track put an instrument on the track and nothing happened. I selected the keyboard in MIDI Controllers... crash.

I guess I did find a work around, I just recreated the MIDI/Aux slide to Instrument and it worked again.

I'd rather have everything work properly (obviously). If anyone made it through this post and has some ideas please post!

Obsidian Dragon 04-15-2011 02:48 PM

Okay, I was confused after reading the original post. At first I thought the evolution MK-249c was a third party computer keyboard (you know, a QWERTY keyboard used for typing and general computer input). I was wondering how a simple USB keyboard would cause PT9 to not work.

As I read more, I realized that he is referring to a MIDI keyboard (piano/synthesizer type). So since that is the problem it makes sense that PT9 may have problems with it if the driver is not compatible or the setting s don't match between the device and Protools settings.

You are probably better off contacting the manufacturer of the evolution MK-249c keyboard about an updated driver and/or the proper setting to use with PT9.