Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   What's with the partial dropouts? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396138)

KeyplayerG 01-05-2018 11:35 AM

What's with the partial dropouts?

MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport on Eucon 3.6.1.

I keep getting these partial dropouts with the hardware's connection to Nuendo 7. Everything works fine for 2 to 3 hrs. Then, channel controls just stop working or my plugin presets won't launch. Sometimes the channel scroll function goes out. :eek: There are LOTS of these little partial dropouts. I never know what will go or when.

Yesterday, I programmed a bunch of macros with layouts. I SAVED THE WORK and made a backup. This morning, none of the new macros were there!! I could see traces of the work; the titles had changed to generic labels in the blocks where I'd programmed the macro. I lost an hour and a half re-writing those patches again.:mad:

A reboot will bring everything back online. But why is it dropping the connection in the 1st place? :confused: This is annoying as hell. :mad: Anybody else have this issue?

KeyplayerG 01-05-2018 07:13 PM

Re: What's with the partial dropouts?

MC Control, 2 Mix & Transport on Eucon 3.6.1.

I opened a new template that included those Macros I mentioned in the initial post. This time there was no formal shutdown. I just wanted to check them BEFORE I stopped work for the day (12 hr day). The macros were scrambled again!! :eek:

I've got layouts that are paired with the 8 Visibility Agents in Nuendo 7. On some Agents requiring more than 20 faders, I made a second layout to cover the remaining tracks. 6 out of the 8 are 20 faders or less. That gives me one button control of the Agents. I launch the Agent (ie: Kick, Snare & Bass) from the MC Control and the hardware matches the DAW exactly and instantly! At least, that's how it worked before I shut the STORED TEMPLATE down and went back tot work on my project.

But when I checked this time, the macros had scrambled again. Eucon had Layout 6 paired with Visibility Agent 8! I had store Layout 8 with VA8, so, why is it now showing layout 6 in the macro? I corrected the pairings, which cost me another half hour and SOME of the layouts had changed. Layouts where I had stored blank spaces, in some cases, had reverted back to assigned spaces! WHY AREN'T THESE SETTINGS STAYING LOCKED?

Meanwhile, the hardware dropped the connection 3 times today. It's only a 60 second interruption to reboot Eucon. But that is a real workflow killer, especially if you're in the zone! :mad:

How do I get this hardware to act like a STABLE piece of professional gear?:(

MoPro 01-06-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeyplayerG (Post 2467628)
:mad:

How do I get this hardware to act like a STABLE piece of professional gear?:(

A better question... has the software for this hardware ever been stable?

For me it always seems just on the edge of irritating!

Every so-called update might, and I do want to emphasize "Might" fix something, but always at the expense of breaking something else.

It's tough, but I've learned not to update to the latest version of EuControl, because there is always some new hurdle to overcome!

My solution is to work with what gives me the best options... so far it seems to be EuControl ver. 3.3.1

I do love being able to turn the fader motors off while monitoring a mix... shame on the people who decided to remove this function in later versions...

I realize the option is still available if you assign the "Faders Off" function to the soft buttons, but unless in my case Steinberg writes the "Faders Off" function into the EuCon Adapter for Cubase, and Nuendo... we don't have access to this incredibly useful function in later versions of EuControl... :confused:

Sorry if I seem annoyed... I know it doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

Al

KeyplayerG 01-06-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoPro (Post 2467706)
A better question... has the software for this hardware ever been stable?

For me it always seems just on the edge of irritating!

Every so-called update might, and I do want to emphasize "Might" fix something, but always at the expense of breaking something else.

It's tough, but I've learned not to update to the latest version of EuControl, because there is always some new hurdle to overcome!

My solution is to work with what gives me the best options... so far it seems to be EuControl ver. 3.3.1

I do love being able to turn the fader motors off while monitoring a mix... shame on the people who decided to remove this function in later versions...

I realize the option is still available if you assign the "Faders Off" function to the soft buttons, but unless in my case Steinberg writes the "Faders Off" function into the EuCon Adapter for Cubase, and Nuendo... we don't have access to this incredibly useful function in later versions of EuControl... :confused:

Sorry if I seem annoyed... I know it doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

Al

I completely understand your annoyance! Who wants to start each work day wondering if his tools will even work?!!? 🤤 It's ridiculous! Today, everything SEEMED stable. But who knows what'll happen tomorrow?

What really scares me is the possibility that stuff like this could happen with the S6! For that price point, we'd have a "film at 11 situation!" 😉 Meanwhile, I can accept the "Not ready for prime time" status of the Artist Series, IF it will just DO what it was designed to do CONSISTENTLY!! Turn on in the morning, work as long as I do (no drop outs), HELP ME finish my projects on time, while letting me "bond" with it over time, just like a console, so that I can work on it almost blindfolded! I don't think that that is too much to ask from any piece of gear! 🤔